“Enjoyed our 3-night stay” 4 of 5 stars

Airai Water Paradise Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 8067, Koror, Koror Island 96940, Palau   |
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Koror
Indianapolis, IN
“Enjoyed our 3-night stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Based on other reviews you'd think this place should be avoided. We enjoyed our stay! We received a great rate of about $100/night including breakfast for a garden view room for three nights (two days). We arrived at midnight and were met at the airport and driven the short distance to the hotel. Upon arrival they had our room waiting for us. We went up the stairs (no elevators) and found it. Two queen beds and a balcony that we'd see in the morning overlooked the garden/gym building.

Room had a bit of a funny smell to it that went away when we were in it and had the a/c running. Bathroom was large and clean-big shower. Amenities and towels were good. Water kettle with coffee/tea provided. There are washcloths in the bathrooms, a nice surprise for American guests.

Breakfast was downstairs in the dining room. Most of the other guests were Japanese, Koreans, Taiwanese, and a few Europeans. The food offerings were cereals, lots of fresh fruit, rice, noodles, scrambled eggs/toast, steamed or stir-fried veggies, cake, juice, coffee/tea, water. If you are expecting Brunch at the Ritz, you won't find it here. If you will dine like the rest of the guests you'll have no trouble getting a satisfying breakfast. It was somewhat different every day but always enough for us both.

The one day we could use the pool we had it to ourselves. We had a great time on the waterslides and using the sandy beach. This hotel is not on or near a beach, but the sandy end of the pool is a nice try. The spa wasn't open when we were there (low season, mid-week), nor was the swim-up bar or snack bar (weekends). They do sell admission tickets to locals to swim in the pool, but as I said we had the pool to ourselves.

There's a free shuttle that will take you downtown and pick you up again. We took it three times. Always worked just fine.

Property needs a little TLC (part of it I blame on the climate-much like Guam where the "funk" kind of grows on everything that doesn't move) but relax and enjoy yourself.

Only complaint is there's no free wifi (or any wifi) in the guest rooms. Must sit in the lobby to use the free wifi.

We'd return here again.

Room Tip: If you need an elevator, they don't have one. Ask for a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Wanted to give this hotel 2 points, but due to the very kind service will give it 3 points.
The hotel is old, no lifts. They recently tried to renovated the rooms. Our room had no bed lights and only one light for the room and one for the bathroom. So not easy, if you need to use the bathroom in the night. We had a sort of balcony, which was spacious but not cleaned in decades. The reception is very poorly furnished with a few old sofa's, strangely is contrast with the beautiful wooden ceiling. It would a lot, if they would redecorated the reception area. Breakfast was decent, but not very fancy. Swimming pool area is like a dead zone.Nothing to do and the pool bar has not been in service of years. The only thing for the kids is nice is the water slide. The hotel is close to the airport but far, too far away from down town. Luckily they now provide free shuttle service, but the latest shuttle is a 10pm, so very early. The only thing very positive is the warm and kind service to all the persons working in the hotel. Nothing is too much and the run for everything you request.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Airai provided excellent service with Friendly staff. In here, you can relax fully and enjoy the amazing nature. The nature without pollution is so wonderful and impressive, and let you want to get far away the city. I will come back soon.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Hello All,

I thought I would post on this site a warning about the Airai Water Paradise Hotel & Spa.

DO NOT do business with this hotel.

Not only had I previously read reports here on this blog about the awful disarray of the place, and saw images of a run down resort, but I have personally experienced bad business and a less than scrupulous management situation running this hotel.

I booked this hotel for Xmas and New Years. After being wait listed on all the hotel wait lists in Palau, I received word from Yi at the Airai Resort that a room had come available. We accepted the room.

$620.00 for 4 nights.

We were told "we don't except credit cards"- only wired money. Ok. So, I am coming on assignment as a journalist with a major US Newspaper, I am working with Palau tourism, and trusted that we would be "Ok" wiring the funds.

NOTE: Never wire funds to anyone- ONLY use a credit card. If an establishment won't accept one- find another place. This means they are sketchy! (my point proven below).

I had a bad fall and contacted the hotel directly to inquire about canceling. Never heard back. E-mailed again, we were canceling and wondered how to get our monies back. Never heard back.

They seemed available and communicative when booking, now they disappear when we need to cancel.

After 3 e-mails and no contact from the Airai, I finally contacted my US tourism contact to let her know the issues at hand.

She also notified the local Palau tourism people, who magically got a hold of Yi. I was told via tourism that Yi would go to her "accounting" dept. to see about refunding partial payment.

Note: we canceled Dec. 10th. Palau hotels have a 3-14 day cancel policy holiday or no holiday.

We are now told today- via an e-mail from Yi, that we will NOT be getting a refund. Now, we know there is a wait list (we were on it!), and in the letter back- Yi admits that they are in touch with other travelers and travel agents. So, we can bet that the room would not be available if we were to end up showing up for our room.

I'm warning you about this hotel, who A. -does not seem to take credit card bookings, and only wire transfers to pay for rooms.

B. I'm a journalist with the power of the pen to get this news out there, and with tourism on my side. And, this is still happening, even with them knowing I will be writing about this experience about them in my story for a major US newspaper.

SO! With this information, and the other posts talking about how awful the place is...

Be warned. Find another place to stay in Palau which values tourism dollars, and are straight up in their business practices.

Room Tip: DO NOT do business with the Airai Hotel, period.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Munich, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We booked this hotel for 28 nights online via Orbitz - which showed quiete lovely rooms and amenities on their homepage. Orbitz immediately charged 3313 USD in advance and when we arrived there on august 4th 2011 we where quiete shocked. Our room was quiete lousy and so was the overall condition of this hotel - look at our pics under http://60037.webhosting22.1blu.de/airai/airai_batch/index.html
Rotten and filthy pool area ( no guests ever swam in the unhygenic water ), old hotel building which is cheaply renovated by the taiwanese owner.TV only with chinese/korean TV programms.The hotel lobby was equipped with junkyard furniture.Far away from downtown Koror (about 10 KM), where all the diving schools / restaurants/shops/banks are located - a Rent a car is almost mandatory.You are in the middle of nowhere! On first sight cheerful staff - they always smiled and always had a hello on their lips - but when it came down to fulfill a request which involved a little work their reaction was not so cheerful anymore. Breakfast was not so bad - but when you came in after the taiwanese groups had their breakfast you mostly found empty plates. We never tried lunch or dinner - you probably better go to Koror. We instantly complained about this hotel at Orbitz - they asked us to contact the Orbitz telefone hotline . Thats what we did and we were put off many times by their emails after our initial complaint. A Orbitz supervisor decision was promised but never came in - so we decided to leave this lousy hotel after 17 nights. We requested a refund but all we heard from Orbitz is silence ! 95% taiwanese guests! We wonder about any positve feedbacks on this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Just as other people have commented this hotel mainly caters to Asian clientele. They cater to them in terms of the breakfast and television stations. (As I recall they did have BBC certain times of the day) I was okay with this because although both of us are American my wife is of Taiwanese descent; we were used to the food that they served but other Westerners may have a problem with this.

The Positives:
-Fantastic service (All of the staff went out of their way to help us during our stay and even helped us when we missed our plane)
-Free Wifi in the Lobby
-The free breakfast buffet was actually pretty decent.
-Our honeymoon suite was clean and the bathtub was huge.
-The interior of the hotel had great wood sculptures.

Negatives:
-The pool did not look clean and they let the local kids play in it. The slide looked fun but I wasn't going in a pool that looked non-chlorinated that kids were no doubt peeing in. (Sorry to be harsh but kids pee in pools)
-No elevator, so if you are staying in one of the nice suites which are located on the fourth story it is a exhausting walk up every time. (Or good exercise depending on how you look at it)
-The outside of the hotel looks very worn.
-It is on the other side of Koror away from most of the dive shops and restaurants. (This means it is about 15 minutes from everything; not really that far but the taxis always seemed to roll there eyes when we told them where we were staying)

Overall this is a three star quality place which is not bad if you are on a budget.
I hope that helps and happy travels.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Webster, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

First, this hotel caters to guests from Taiwan (the manager is from Taiwan). There were no English channels on the TV and no English magazines at the spa. I was the only Western person at the hotel and as such I felt like every member of the staff knew who I was, which room I was in, and knew my whereabouts, which is a little bit creepy. I was traveling solo yet was put in the honeymoon suite, which when not in use is used for spa treatments I hear. There is no deadbolt/chain on the door and there was a gap between the bottom of the door and the floor so I could hear easily hear guests walking by and talking. The hallway was exposed to the outside, so any little critters could've come under my door, too. The room and bathroom were huge. The bathroom looks like it has been remodeled in the past few years. There were ants in the bathroom, which I have seen before in tropical climates. The room itself was big, but worn and dated overall. There was a safe, desk, mini-fridge, TV (no English channels), wall A/C unit, wardrobe, loveseat (with grubby sofa cover on it - I dare not look under the cover!). The drapes and bed canopy were old and grimey. The bed was hard/firm. On the wall just above the bed (headboard) was a shoe print and a big brown smudge. Someone must have used their shoe to kill something and didn't bother cleaning up! Overall the room was clean though, just very dated and grubby. The bar at the pool looks like it hasn't been used in years. There is a large pool, waterslides, and a beach/pool but I saw about 3 people use it the whole time I was there. This hotel looks like it could've been a great resort many years ago, but it is now run down and in need or repair and remodeling. The restaurant was OK - Western and Asian fare for breakfast and was halfway full for dinner. The hotel is about 15 mins from the downtown area, but a shuttle bus will take you roundtrip for $5 and they were flexible on the times, which was great. They also offer airport pickup/drop off service which I appreciated. On a positive note, the staff was excellent. They were very friendly and did a great job answering my many questions and helped set-up spa services, a rental car, and a snorkeling tour. The spa service was great, too. A good price and I felt relaxed and enjoyed my treaments. I did "crash" Palau Pacific Resort (the luxory resort) for an afternoon and it was much more of what I was expecting....private beach with chairs, snorkeling/dive services available, nice pool with functional bar, updated restaurant with good food, looked more modern overall. If I were to return to Palau I'd stay here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Airai Water Paradise Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!