“Great service, nice resort, beautiful grounds” 4 of 5 stars

Palau Royal Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P O Box 10108, Koror, Koror Island 96940, Palau   |
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Koror
Seattle
“Great service, nice resort, beautiful grounds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

The service at PRR is amazing. The staff is so friendly and helpful, and everyone speaks English well. The whole island is geared toward asian tourists, and this hotel is no exception, so you'll find that many of the meals are geared toward asian tastes, but they definitely have a ton of food for the western palate as well.
There are two views: One looking straight over the swimming cove at the Rock Islands (preferred) and one looking over the bay toward the road and another hotel. Either will be nice, but the view over the Rock Islands is terrific. If you pay for one of the higher floors (4-6) you will be above the palm trees, and have an unobstructed view.
A note on the weather. It rains every day in Palau, many times! It's not like most places, where it's either a nice day or a crappy day - it honestly changes hour by hour. You'll have a massive rain and it will be completely dry and sunny in 45 minutes. If you go knowing this, you'll be much happier. It's completely worth it! Their rainy season (where it apparently does rain for days on end) is June - August if I remember correctly.
There is a shuttle in the evenings that runs about every half hour into town. It is $7 for a pass for the whole week. Taxis are $6 each way.
You'll love it here, and you'll love the people. This resort is a good, solid resort with lovely people and service. The rooms had everything you'd need, but they are a little "standard" - not particularly cozy or nice, which is the only reason I give this resort a 4 star rating.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have views over the tops of the palm trees. Aim for a room overlooking the Rock...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We just got back from an 8 day stay at PRR while we were diving, which is the main reason to go to Palau from our perspective. We were able to get a better than average (airline employee) rate at the hotel, but otherwise it might be a little expensive (Palau is a relatively expensive destination). The dive companies offer packages that are pretty reasonable. We suggest nearby Sam's Tours, and that you call them to make arrangements. The hotel is primarily a vacation resort geared to Japanese tour groups, and we wouldn't recommend the on-site snorkel/dive operation as it mostly seems to cater to novices. The premises are quite nice, and the pool is huge. They have created a protected white sand lagoon for salt water swimming and hanging out on a chaise with your book, that's great for kids but not for snorkeling. The buffet meals are extensive, and relatively expensive ($22 for breakfast if it's not part of your package). The rooms are very comfortable and well appointed, although the beds are quite firm to match Japanese tastes. We really appreciated the good air conditioning. The free internet in the restaurant sucks, but you can buy a service at the gift shop that actually works, although there are tricks involved in using it (it's not intuitive when you want to get back on after you log off, and you must log off or it'll keep running even if you shut down your computer). There are good walkable dining opportunities nearby (Carp Island, Drop Off), and there's a good public shuttle bus you can buy a cheap pass on. We rented a car to tour the island, and found that there really wasn't that much to see outside of Koror. The new capital is a freakishly weird example of foreign aid gone wrong.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Great views from the resort. Ideally located for those who are heading off on live aboard dive cruises. Breakfast buffet and room, swimming pool etc were all good quality. Would use this hotel again as a jump off point for diving trips.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Herndon, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

The location was good for us - close to Koror yet great views of Rock Islands gave feeling of being remote. Next door to Neco Marine where Palau Aggressor/Dancer arrives and departs.

This resort served as a great place for us to adjust to the time zone changes before boarding the Aggressor.

Wi-Fi at the hotel and across the island is slowwwww... I took that as a positive and minimized my online presence!

Room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Rooms and beds are great. No wifi. limited food options, but Sam's bar and grill around the corner is the best option
Pool is nice and the little beach and lagoon area is also available for a swim, careful of the rock wall, a fellow travellor hurt her toes on the first day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We arrived from Los Angeles after 18 hours with layovers, ect at 11pm. The staff was very helpful, spoke English. I wouldn't have wanted to spend more than one night here.....we were on our way to dive aboard for a week. But the room was basic, clean....bed comfortable, bath room amenities sufficient.
We had the buffet breakfast in the morning prior to our departure. Lots of choices and fresh.
The setting is beautiful on a lagoon with crystal clear water....

Room Tip: away from the lagoon, noise from adjacent hotels party.....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
South Lake Tahoe, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed at the PRR for 10 nights and enjoyed every single minute of it with our SCUBA group. All the staff, from the front desk to housekeeping was really friendly, responsive, and helpful. When we first arrived at the resort in the middle of the night, we were taken to a lovely room, but could tell it was a smoking room. The young man quickly moved us to another room in a different section of the hotel. In the morning, find a local Palauan who works at the hotel and have them explain the bus system to you. It’s easy and works good if you pay attention to where you are getting off and the time. We used this bus system a number of times and found it to be useful. But we did rent a car on our last full day to tour the island. It was perfect for us since we were diving every day and didn’t need a car otherwise.

THE ROOMS:
Our room was on the third floor overlooking the roof, but with an ocean view. It was a "Moderate" room on the 3rd floor with two oversized twin beds (almost a twin and a half maybe. The room looked exactly like the picture on their website except we had a desk. There was a safe in the closet, plenty of drawers for our stuff, and a bench extension off the dresser to put a suitcase on. So there was plenty of room for dive gear and regular stuff. Plus there was a small refrigerator and a nice supply of really amazing instant coffee and teas with the standard sugar creamer additions. I'm kind of a coffee snob and would ordinarily never touch instant, but I was desperate on our first morning and found it to be quite strong and tasty with all the stuff I put in it. There is a hot water maker in place of the traditional little coffee pot that works really well. Only two bottles of water are supplied free. But you can buy more water at the store across the street from the hotel. The front desk will tell you about it if you ask. I bought two gallons and just refilled our water bottles.

THE BEDS:
Soooo… unfortunately our beds were rocks. The bedding is fabulous and fluffy and inviting. But the mattresses are ROCKS. They give you beautiful down pillows (which I don’t like, but whatever) or thin foam pillows on request. Anyway, I got a kink in my neck that remains to this day (August 25). I eventually asked the maid to bring me 6 extra pillows which I put under my mattress pad to make some padding. The sweet maid brought them, and then configured my bed my way with the pillows when she changed my sheets or made my bed each day. Needless to say, I left her a nice tip!! Surprisingly, the lofty down comforters are actually nice when you keep the air conditioning and the fan going all night. It makes a comfortable combo – well, except for the rock.

THE BATHROOMS:
K. I LOVED the bathroom. The shower/tub was big and had the kind of showerhead you can take off to rinse your scuba gear with. The hotel stocks the bathroom with an amazing selection of goodies like times TWO; shampoo, conditioner, body wash, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shaver, eye-makeup pads, hair stretchies, Qtips, hairbrush/comb combo thing, shower-cap, laundry soap, and more stuff I can’t even remember. I put the stuff I wasn’t going to use in my suite-case, and found they replaced it on the tray the next morning! TIMES TWO!! I really appreciated having plenty of supplies, and would not have dragged all my stuff clear across the planet if I’d known about this! BUT one of my favorite things was the awesome bidet in the toilet closet. They are not common in the States, so it was my first time using one. But I sooo appreciated that toilet considering how hot and humid and sweaty the day’s activities leaves one. It’s a cool thing.

THE BUGS:
Yes, there are mosquitoes. Well, at least while we were there. But the staff keeps lighted bug repellant coils EVERYWHERE. In the morning, if you leave your room early as we did for diving, there was always a mosquito covered coil near our door. It made me happy to know they were dead there and not in my room. I was, however covered with mosquito bites from all the times we were away from the resort. So bring bug spray and use it as religiously as you would use your sunscreen.

THE FOOD:
So we ate breakfast every morning at the resort and loved it! The variety is interesting with an Asian flair. There were a lot of things I could not bring myself to try. But there were a lot of American things prepared untraditionally that were yummy. There was always fish, which I ate every day for breakfast because it was so good. And there is a pretty good bakery on site that provided the breakfast pastries that were delicious. We did try the buffet one evening and found it to be a horrifically expensive disappointment. There is MUCH better food to be found for dinners. All our lunches were with our dive company “Fish and Fins,” and were delicious, so I cannot comment about lunch at the resort. Sometimes I filled my water bottle at the breakfast water urn.

THE PROPERTY:
We thought the property was really beautiful and spectacularly groomed. The pool was spotless and we enjoyed it a great deal. The small private beach area is nice and feels secluded. We snorkeled all around and out to the roped off end that leads to open ocean. There wasn’t a ton of stuff to see, but enough to keep our interest and make it enjoyable. They have kayaks plus toys and other stuff for the kids (I think these are for a fee – we didn’t use any of them). And they will give you mats for the nice beach lounges. You can get your beach towels from them there as well.

POPERTY AMENITIES:
Near the pool is a bar that serves quite good drinks (but pricey) and is fun to visit in the evening, but don’t forget to cover yourself with bug spray! Through the restaurant is A WONDERFUL Balinese Spa where the pampering is seriously good and the girls are absolutely darling and sweet. It’s not cheap, but it is fabulous. There is a business center on property. But the internet is a total JOKE. They should not say they offer it legitimately. Besides the business center, you are assigned a number each morning at the restaurant where you can attempt to access the internet. Only on a few occasions, in 10 days, did a couple members of our group be able to connect. I never was able. Do yourself a favor and just put your phone, laptop, iPad/tablet away in your room and forget about it. Unless you ABSOLUTELY must be connected while in paradise, forget about it. Trying to connect is more trouble than it’s worth at the hotel. There are other options around the island, but they are pricey and a hassle.

IN SUMMARY: I want to go back!
Everything is expensive on the island, so plan accordingly. Still, it truly was one of the most wonderful vacations I’ve had. The people are genuinely nice and gracious. The SCUBA diving is simply spectacular and varied. Our experience with Fish n Fins as our dive company was fabulous (they picked our group up at the hotel dock each day in their great boat with all our gear all set up and ready to go for us. They served us lunch on one of many secluded paradise islands each day. Then they deposited us back on our dock each afternoon where we walked a short way to our room elevator.) There is a dive operation on property, and it looked great, but we had our booking with FnF. In the evenings, we took the hotel van to our various restaurants and adventures (this was for a fee). The cheapest and my favorite food was at Emaimelei (also known as the bakery), where the food and desert was delicious, but be careful and split dishes because the portions are HUGE HUGE HUGE. Please trust me on this! But get some cookies from them for the dive boat if you’re diving. Next time I go, I’ll likely eat here every night! The menu is HUGE, too! Now, the worst priced, but delicious food in THE most beautiful restaurant, also had the most terrible service any of us have EVER seen in the entire world, was at Elilai. For the adventurous, you can experience fruit bat soup including the entire bat, fur, wings and all, at the Penthouse where they also serve really tasty fried or baked parrot fish), and if you ask for a “double” for your cocktail, they bring you two – and you pay for two. Ha!! You can have great food for a reasonable price at Kramers. You can rent a car and drive all over the island and see cool sites, and also get lost pretty easily, but the sweet locals will help you figure your way back to civilization (so to speak). And last, but not least, you can stay at this great hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Palau Royal Resort? Share your experiences!