“The best in Palau” 5 of 5 stars

30th Anniversary
Ranked #1 of 22 hotels in Koror
“The best in Palau”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for our honeymoon in January and loved the island! From our research we found that this was the best hotel on the Island and were not disappointed.

The staff was friendly and the rooms did not disappoint.

Highlights - the reef attached to the hotel is probably the best reef for snorkelling. You can also rent water cycles and kayaks from the hotel. I used the spa and really enjoyed the treatment. The little cottages where for the spa are really beautiful and relaxing. The food and beverage manager is from India and was delighted to see Indians at the resort. He even joined us for a drink one night and helped us extend our check out which was very helpful as we had planned a kayak tour that morning and now had a room to come back to to shower and change.

Negatives - the hotel is expensive and everything (including food and drinks) is on the expensive side. The island in general is expensive. Our hotel rate did not include breakfast which was surprising. We were shocked to receive a bill for over $40 (USD) on the first day for breakfast. Additionally, one morning my husband went for breakfast (paid for the buffet) and then came back to wake me up and say with me while I had my breakfast. He ordered a cup of black coffee then and they charged us for it. We told them that we already paid for a buffet breakfast but they said he left the restaurant and hence had to charge for the coffee. My husband doesn't like to fight so we just left it that. Lastly, the hotel is a little away from everything.

Overall I did enjoy our stay and the island is so beautiful and the diving out of this world that I was happy to overlook the negatives.

• Stayed January 2013

411 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Norman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Best resort on the island by.far. Beautiful sandy beach, pool, hot tub, rooms, attitude and staff, Twice daily maid service, Japanese style toilets....the kind that does everything for you, if you know what I mean! Only negative is cost of food and on sight spa...very pricey! the beachside BBQ is $60 to $80 per person.....breakfast buffet is $30 pp. But for a $7 taxi ride, there are several good less expensive options in town. Get a second floor room, they have beautiful pitched ceilings!

Room Tip: Second floor, ocean view, we stayed in room 526
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The staff in this resort hotel are among the most helpful, welcoming and friendly I have encountered. For each and every one of them it felt like they were welcoming me into their own home and had a keen interest in making sure I enjoyed my stay. This was not done in an obtrusive way - if you wanted to blend into the background and be left in peace this was also possible.
It is one of the few hotels in Palau that has beach front access which is what attracted me to it. It is a lovely little beach with crystal clear water and, as it is west facing, you get to witness amazing sunsets. In fact sunset was probably the busiest time on the beach as everyone came back from their day's exploits to enjoy the setting sun.

Other reviewers speak about price, and it has to be said, it isn't cheap and you will get more for your money elsewhere in the world (and less in some places!) but you have to remember the remoteness of these islands and all the restrictions they have imposed on themselves in order to preserve this little corner of paradise.

I ate breakfast and a dinner in the restaurant. The food was fresh, tasty and well presented.
On the evenings where I wanted to eat elsewhere the concierge willingly made the reservations and arranged for that restaurant to come and collect me.

The location was fine for me as I was either fine to spend a day on the beach or had arranged day trips where the tour company picked me up either from the resort's jetty or by car. Some people may prefer staying closer to town.

I had a late flight. On request, the staff made facilities available to me to shower in the evening and, of course, store my luggage for most of the day.

I did encounter a couple of issues, not of the hotel's making, but found the staff to be very helpful and accommodating in resolving these issues.

Room Tip: I enjoyed my ocean front room close to the main hotel complex (block 3). I can't say I noticed...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I thought I was the only one night, but I want to at least two nights. Service of the hotel staff also nice, the room was also very comfortable widely. Internet that can be used for free was put to shop.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is probably the best option on the island but the bar is low. I do realize you are in the middle of nowhere and getting stuff to the island is difficult and expensive. So my comments are tempered a bit due to these factors. The best thing about the place are the people, who are extremely friendly and truly want to help you if they can. Every employee went out of their way to make sure we had a good visit even though a number of the issues they were not able to resolve.

The biggest negative was huge in my book. They have roosters all over the property that begin crowing at 5ish am and continue all morning - right outside your patio. Unbelievable! At these prices you would at least expect to be able to sleep past 5 am. There was no attempt to keep them out or shoo them away from the rooms. If you are a sound sleeper you will may be ok, but I am not. It was extremely frustrating.

Didn't try the spa but the exercise room was pretty small. They did have a nice variety of water toys for the ocean, including a few nice catamarans. They are improving their dock so the dive boats have good access for pick up and drop off.

Great and inexpensive laundry service. Food ok. Pool and hot tub extremely crowded in the late afternoon. Even ran out of towels several days.

The rooms are nice but be sure to get one on the second floor with vaulted ceilings. Otherwise you might feel a little claustrophobic and will hear the people above you. No wifi but that is probably standard everywhere on the island.

If we come back, and I hope we do some day since the diving is spectacular, we will stay here again but this time with the proper expectations and some ear plugs.

UK/Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I could also title this "as good as it has to be". This is the best hotel in Palau - and therefore charges for it. Our stay for 2 rooms was almost $1K per night. That rate gets you the Four Seasons on the Red Sea.

Unfortunately, because it is in Palau and people are dying to get there - they can charge these rates and get away with it. What other options are there? Hence my comment - "as good as it has to be".

It also means that we went to Palau as a destination and due to the overpriced nature of this hotel when we need a beach vacation (we live in Tokyo) we won't head here. We can get a spectacular beach in Guam or Saipan for 1/3rd of the price. Too bad they don't understand that.

The lack of comments in this thread from the GM (unlike with other hotel chains) demonstrates their mgmt's willingness to address this. Whoever owns this is cash cowing the hotel.

Pros
- staff are super friendly, some of the best I have seen in a hotel. The entire island is friendly. Amazing service.
- marine sanctuary and white sand beach are a huge bonus. We spent hours snorkelling out there. Beautiful beach.
- rooms are dated but clean (really needs an upgrade - really, really needs an upgrade)
- ala carte menu is good and one of the more reasonably priced at a hotel I have seen
- breakfast was good, but wish they had better cereal choices (they have these little boxes - invest in a few canisters and fill them - higher margin and you can offer more choice)
- good spa, wonderful service

Cons
- WAY WAY overpriced. I do not mind paying for quality, but this is ridiculous. You are paying this price because it is Palau, remote, and there are few other choices.
- wifi .. It is satellite so understand the restrictions but really frustrating. Every time I turned my ipad or iphone back on I needed to enter the pass codes. It should capture MAC address and be done with it. If you use an iPhone you needed to use a different card every time. Huge pain.
- nickel and dime on the beach sports (seriously - if I am paying $550 a night for a mediocre room, throw in the beach sports)
- losing out on a ton of dive business because everyone goes to other dive shop. Not sure why they wouldn't focus on that
- ice cream is awful at the little ice cream shop
- only one restaurant option with the upscale restaurant being a room inside the general dining. We went there once and the lobster was overcooked, my fish was dry. We didn't go back and ended up leaving the resort every night (which we do not like doing)
- charging me $5 per coffee in the morning is outrageous when I paid for the morning buffet for the family (I like to get up, grab 2 coffees and wait for the boys to wake up)

They appear to have return business ... But we came to Palau as a one time destination. For us to make the painfully trip back the resort needs to be more.

Will we return? We have done the sights. We may come back to dive at some point, but if we need a beach holiday over the coming year we will go somewhere else.

Too bad .. This place is a gem waiting for some proper management.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed at Palau Pacific resort before and after a diving live aboard trip in July 2013.

This hotel is nice. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly and remembered me by name from the very beginning. They were helpful and took a genuine interest in your well being.

The beach is nice and the pool, although much smaller than I expected, was also very nice. Getting in and out of the resort into "town" is easy and they can arrange transportation easily.

The rooms I think are a bit dated to be honest. This hotel has been around for a while and the rooms resembled a reasonable 4 star hotel. They were comfortable but lacked the polish and finishing of a 5 star hotel.

The food was reasonable. I felt the breakfast were extremely expensive for what you got. I had lunch and dinner there and I would categorize it as just OK, but nothing special.

I felt the resort is highly over priced. The rooms are extremely expensive for what you get and the food pricey for what you receive. I was expecting more before I got there to be honest.

For that sort of price I do feel that it's worth shopping around. I'm always a 5 Star hotel sort of guy but I do look at value. For much less in Palau you can get reasonably good rooms and hotels and it's worth the additional effort to check these out.

Nothing critical specifically of the hotel. If money is not much of a consideration then stay here. If you are worried about your budget then spend an extra hour looking around.

Room Tip: If you are not budget conscience take the beach front rooms. You will certainly be woken by the roo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Palau Pacific Resort? Share your experiences!