“It was very comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO BOX 308, Koror, Koror Island 96940, Palau   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Koror
Tokyo, Japan
“It was very comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I thought I was the only one night, but I want to at least two nights. Service of the hotel staff also nice, the room was also very comfortable widely. Internet that can be used for free was put to shop.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is probably the best option on the island but the bar is low. I do realize you are in the middle of nowhere and getting stuff to the island is difficult and expensive. So my comments are tempered a bit due to these factors. The best thing about the place are the people, who are extremely friendly and truly want to help you if they can. Every employee went out of their way to make sure we had a good visit even though a number of the issues they were not able to resolve.

The biggest negative was huge in my book. They have roosters all over the property that begin crowing at 5ish am and continue all morning - right outside your patio. Unbelievable! At these prices you would at least expect to be able to sleep past 5 am. There was no attempt to keep them out or shoo them away from the rooms. If you are a sound sleeper you will may be ok, but I am not. It was extremely frustrating.

Didn't try the spa but the exercise room was pretty small. They did have a nice variety of water toys for the ocean, including a few nice catamarans. They are improving their dock so the dive boats have good access for pick up and drop off.

Great and inexpensive laundry service. Food ok. Pool and hot tub extremely crowded in the late afternoon. Even ran out of towels several days.

The rooms are nice but be sure to get one on the second floor with vaulted ceilings. Otherwise you might feel a little claustrophobic and will hear the people above you. No wifi but that is probably standard everywhere on the island.

If we come back, and I hope we do some day since the diving is spectacular, we will stay here again but this time with the proper expectations and some ear plugs.

UK/Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I could also title this "as good as it has to be". This is the best hotel in Palau - and therefore charges for it. Our stay for 2 rooms was almost $1K per night. That rate gets you the Four Seasons on the Red Sea.

Unfortunately, because it is in Palau and people are dying to get there - they can charge these rates and get away with it. What other options are there? Hence my comment - "as good as it has to be".

It also means that we went to Palau as a destination and due to the overpriced nature of this hotel when we need a beach vacation (we live in Tokyo) we won't head here. We can get a spectacular beach in Guam or Saipan for 1/3rd of the price. Too bad they don't understand that.

The lack of comments in this thread from the GM (unlike with other hotel chains) demonstrates their mgmt's willingness to address this. Whoever owns this is cash cowing the hotel.

Pros
- staff are super friendly, some of the best I have seen in a hotel. The entire island is friendly. Amazing service.
- marine sanctuary and white sand beach are a huge bonus. We spent hours snorkelling out there. Beautiful beach.
- rooms are dated but clean (really needs an upgrade - really, really needs an upgrade)
- ala carte menu is good and one of the more reasonably priced at a hotel I have seen
- breakfast was good, but wish they had better cereal choices (they have these little boxes - invest in a few canisters and fill them - higher margin and you can offer more choice)
- good spa, wonderful service

Cons
- WAY WAY overpriced. I do not mind paying for quality, but this is ridiculous. You are paying this price because it is Palau, remote, and there are few other choices.
- wifi .. It is satellite so understand the restrictions but really frustrating. Every time I turned my ipad or iphone back on I needed to enter the pass codes. It should capture MAC address and be done with it. If you use an iPhone you needed to use a different card every time. Huge pain.
- nickel and dime on the beach sports (seriously - if I am paying $550 a night for a mediocre room, throw in the beach sports)
- losing out on a ton of dive business because everyone goes to other dive shop. Not sure why they wouldn't focus on that
- ice cream is awful at the little ice cream shop
- only one restaurant option with the upscale restaurant being a room inside the general dining. We went there once and the lobster was overcooked, my fish was dry. We didn't go back and ended up leaving the resort every night (which we do not like doing)
- charging me $5 per coffee in the morning is outrageous when I paid for the morning buffet for the family (I like to get up, grab 2 coffees and wait for the boys to wake up)

They appear to have return business ... But we came to Palau as a one time destination. For us to make the painfully trip back the resort needs to be more.

Will we return? We have done the sights. We may come back to dive at some point, but if we need a beach holiday over the coming year we will go somewhere else.

Too bad .. This place is a gem waiting for some proper management.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed at Palau Pacific resort before and after a diving live aboard trip in July 2013.

This hotel is nice. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly and remembered me by name from the very beginning. They were helpful and took a genuine interest in your well being.

The beach is nice and the pool, although much smaller than I expected, was also very nice. Getting in and out of the resort into "town" is easy and they can arrange transportation easily.

The rooms I think are a bit dated to be honest. This hotel has been around for a while and the rooms resembled a reasonable 4 star hotel. They were comfortable but lacked the polish and finishing of a 5 star hotel.

The food was reasonable. I felt the breakfast were extremely expensive for what you got. I had lunch and dinner there and I would categorize it as just OK, but nothing special.

I felt the resort is highly over priced. The rooms are extremely expensive for what you get and the food pricey for what you receive. I was expecting more before I got there to be honest.

For that sort of price I do feel that it's worth shopping around. I'm always a 5 Star hotel sort of guy but I do look at value. For much less in Palau you can get reasonably good rooms and hotels and it's worth the additional effort to check these out.

Nothing critical specifically of the hotel. If money is not much of a consideration then stay here. If you are worried about your budget then spend an extra hour looking around.

Room Tip: If you are not budget conscience take the beach front rooms. You will certainly be woken by the roo...
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I just had a wonderful few days relaxing at PPR. The staff was very helpful in getting tours and any requests set up during our time there. While a little on the expensive side, we thought it was worth it as the staff was very friendly and helpful and Palau in general was a bit expensive. I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to visit Palau for a few days.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We cannot really compare this property to others in Palau since we haven't experienced any other properties. However comparing the price to other accommodations we have stayed in around the world, I would say that its overpriced. The regular rates were around $300 per night not including an additional 20% in taxes and fees and a mandatory service charge tacked on to the bill. The property does have nice looking bungalows, fronting a nice private beach, and the rooms are large and nicely appointed. Bathroom water pressure was very strong and the toilets had automatic bidets which I love. Being that the property was far from the town center, restaurant options within walking distance from the hotel is non-existent. The breakfast buffet had a decent selection but a bit pricey for what you get. Dinner selections was also limited and pricey as well. We did find the staff to be quite friendly and try to meet your needs. We did not like that we were not provided a couple of complimentary bottles of water and the internet service while free, was rather slow and required you to continue to re-enter a username and password anytime you stop browsing after a few minutes. If you want a "luxury" type of vacation in Palau, this is probably the only place to go. However we do believe that for the prices they charge, the property should be more luxurious and restaurant options and quality much better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

After 5 days of diving on the island of Peleliu and staying in very rustic bungalows at a dive resort, it was nice to come to "PPR" for Pampering and Relaxation!
Now let's get one thing straight people... Palau is for Divers!! If you don't dive, then I'm sure Palau will be a total disappointment to you. It's not Hawaii, Tahiti, Fiji and such...it's a divers haven for sighting big fish, yes...sharks! So, if you can grasp this concept before you come to Palau, you will have a better appreciation of the accommodations.
As far as I'm concerned, PPR was the best place on the island to stay and they do charge very high rates for this. But for me, staying here for 3 nights out of our 7 nights was totally and completely worth it. The morning buffet, the pool, the beach loungers, the private lagoon, the Wednesday happy hour, the Beach BBQ, the service, the quality of the rooms, the quality of sleep...all excellent in every way. You can certainly book dives from here, but the boat rides will be long and tiring. It just depends on what kind of person you are...and if you are travelling with your family of non-divers and they can't handle beach bungalow, then stay here the whole time.

Oh and last but not least... my friends and I along with the hotel staff also saved an old man's life during our trip. He was face down in the lagoon for who knows how long and we pulled him out, the lifeguards performed CPR, he was rushed to the hospital and in the end, him and his wife were able to head back to their home in Europe with a new outlook on life. It was a good trip overall! PPR, great place to stay!!

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms are great, but you spend a lot of time at the beach, so up to you whether you want...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Palau Pacific Resort? Share your experiences!