“Beautiful...Expensive...Service, eh” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
USA
“Beautiful...Expensive...Service, eh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Husband and I went in April, 2nd trip to Palau. It was around our anniversary so we decided to stay at PPR for 5 days and Sea Passion for 2nd 1/2 of trip (Review of that hotel is on here too) Well, I got sick, we're talking 103 can't talk kind of sick on the plane ride over, the staff was helpful in getting me to the hospital as it was a Sat. In regards to that, my reccommendation is don't get sick here!! But about the hotel:

Food: The buffets which were quite pricey.. I think about $20++ for breakfast and $40'ish for dinner were also usually great. Really nice selection. I definitely had Buffet envy when we tried a la carte..by the end of the trip we had given in and had buffet all the time. Breakfast unless you get up super early you will probably eat there since it would take a while to get anywhere else as the grounds are kind of remote and pickups for diving is usually between 8-9 am.

Dinner you can take a taxi (10 minutes) into town and go elsewhere but the sunsets from the open air restaurant are pretty tempting and relaxing. Service in the restaurant is slow...I know all about island time..I live in South Florida, everything is "island time" here too..but this was particularly bad, especially since tip is included..but you will have that anywhere that is the case.

The rooms here come with a can of Raid sitting right out in the open when you walk in, there is a reason for this. Fortunately ours were just geckos and they were easy to carry outside, again, it's an island so... Having stayed at 2 other hotels on the island I definitely admit that if money is no option, it is a VERY relaxing place and I was glad to have convalesced there when I wasn't feeling well rather than one of the in town hotels where food at odd hours is sometimes an issue.

Room has one of the Japanese super toilets which does everything but your pedicure, showers had decent hot water and pressure, bed was softer than most in this neck of the woods, but still a hard bed by Western standards.

Once a week they have a Guest greeting type of thing, don't get your hopes up here, to be honest this was pretty dissappointing..a"traditional" dance performed by young kids in traditional garb, which was slightly awkward but hysterical because they couldn't even keep a straight face as they chanted and danced on the beach (definitely made us think these kids had lost the bet and were forced to do this) the cocktail/appetizers were gone in the 1st 15 minutes and were really terrible little plates of snacks between 100 people, they gave each of us a fresh coconut which was nice.. but the underwhelming effort by the hotel to make this a nice event was a little insulting..they did arrange for a perfect sunset, so a "10" on that.

Really have nothing on the negative side...even if it's too costly to stay there it is definitely a nice to place to visit for an evening dinner by the water..

Enjoy

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Just got back from the PPR, and loved every minute of it. It is a bit secluded, which is part of the appeal for couples. The beach is immaculate, and the grounds are beautifully kept full of lush orchids and tropical plants. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful.

It costs $7 for a taxi into town - where all the shops and restaurants are. And the restaurant in the PPR is a bit pricey, but not terrible. $5 for a cup of coffee is a bit steep though.

But the kettle and instant coffee and tea bags in the room are nice in the morning. And the sunsets are quite stunning. It was so nice at night with the tikki torches and the pool all lit up at night. Sitting on the beach watching the stars... quite beautiful. Definitely rent a car for a day and drive around the island. It is a magical place to explore.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

We loved this Hotel, tranquil beautiful and fabulous service. We split our stay between two hotels one lower budget (Sea Passion) and PPR. Unfortunately our travel agent had to book us into PPR first and Sea Passion last. This was a mistake! Luxury should be last before going home. Rooms were excellent as was the food and service from the staff. We will stay here again next time in this part of the world. The snorkling out the front at the beach was very good too.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

I have stayed there more than 8 times. The staffs are always friendly and helpful. Every morning you have delicious breakfast at the restaurant. After that you can just be relaxed on the beach. Of course, you can go diving. Anyway I recommend PPR. Enjoy your vacation!

• Stayed May 2010
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

This was a hotel I wish we stayed longer - perfect beach, very stylishly and individually decorated bungalows, really really good breakfast to suit everyone's needs...
We came late in the evening and had to leave next noon, so our only regret was that we couldn't stay longer!
We came some other night for cocktails in the poolside bar and the dance show. Everything was amazing. I cannot find a single fault with this place.
Some people have been complaining about the price. Well, Palau is not cheap in general, but this place is real value for money. I cannot imagine getting this level of service and comfort for the similar price in Europe.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Yokosuka
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

After finding this hotel on Trip Advisor I saw the reveiws and made a reservation. Originally the reservation was for one night at 290 USD a night. I went to check in the hotel and realize that they hiked the price up to 340 USD a night within the 2 days that from making the reservation to checking in. I talked to some of the locals and they said sometimes they hike up the price during peak seasons. I get to the room and it is quaint but not 340 USD worth. I had gotten up early in the morning and went to the beach came back and turned on the TV you had to pay for basic channels like FOX and ABC something you can get for free at a truck stop Motel. Later after checking out the next morning I wanted to go to the beach at which time they explained to me that if I was not staying at the hotel they would charge me 25 USD to use their beach this was 20 min after I had checked out. I felt that I was taken advantage of as a tourist and would not recomend this to anyone unless they are completely frivolous with their money.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

Just return from the South Pacific. Had the pleasure of staying at the PPR. It was the highlight of the trip. Everything was flawless from check-in to check-out. We traveled with our 3 sons; 6 years, 8years, and 11 years. They did not want to leave. There was plenty to do at resort to keep them entertained from feeding the tropical fish and sting-rays in the pond to hiking the nature trail to explore the old Japanese WWII caves. We spent one day on the Rock Island tour( highly recommend). We used Sam's Tours which we weer told was the best on the island and now i believe it. It is a little more expensive but you get what you pay for. The tour included multiple snorkeling sites, swimming with sharks, and Jelly-fish lake. They do give discounts for the kids but only if asked! The snorkeling at the hotel is amazing as well. Timothy at the pool can help you arrange where to see the most amazing fish and coral a short swim form the hotel. We will definitely return when we are back on that side of the world. MOST IMPORTANT if you have kids and you don't want to be walking 5-10 minutes to get to pool, restaurants, and beach request room 311 of a room in the same building. It is ocean view and sits very close to all the activities. It is far enough away that the noise is not an issue but close enough that the kids can run in and out all day. Lastly, to cut some costs as the drinks are VERY expensive stop at convenience store and get sodas, water, beer. Sodas and water are $4.50 at hotel and only .60$ at small store down street.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Palau Pacific Resort? Share your experiences!