“Worth a trip for the gift shop alone, but buy your storyboard elsewhere.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Etpison Museum

Etpison Museum
P.O. Box 7049, Koror, Koror Island 96940, Palau
680-488-6730
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 12 Attractions in Koror
Type: History Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum contains paintings and antique maps of Old Palau.
Toronto, Canada
182 attraction reviews
“Worth a trip for the gift shop alone, but buy your storyboard elsewhere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The reviews led me to believe the gift shop is more impressive than the museum, so I only visited the former. You can go straight up to the gift shop on the second floor without paying admission.

I can say that the gift shop is indeed impressive. I spent a fair amount of time admiring everything. They even have a giant whale skeleton hanging from the ceiling.

The purpose of my visit was to shop for a story board. Others indicated this is a good place to purchase one. However, during my visit the selection was minimal and the prices high. I really only wanted a medium or small-sized story board, and most of the ones here were large and quite expensive. While I didn't purchase my storyboard from here, I did enjoy my visit to the gift shop and the staff were so nice.

For those looking for a good selection of story boards, I would suggest going to the Prisoner's Gift Shop at the Koror prison. And you can negotiate the price. I purchased a story board for $80 that had a sticker price of $175. Even more fun, they bring in the prisoner who carved the story board to negotiate the price with you in person.

Visited August 2012

Guam, Mariana Islands
14 attraction reviews
“More time in the Gift Shop”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

The architectural design of the Etpison Museum was impressive. A small fee for a short tour. Not much to see and displays lacked full description, if any. Few artifacts, some poster size pictures and some models. Great model of an Abai on display. A good 30 minute tour. Nice ballisters on the stairway leading up to the second floor which only had a gift shop. Spent more time in the gift shop. More to look at there. Not too many ancient displays available and definitely not handicap accessible.

Visited July 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Culture and arts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I was glad i got the chance to visit the museum while in Palau. There's a great model of a traditional boat as well as the amazing traditional tattooing that was done for both men and women. No pictures are allowed though in parts of the museum, which was strange.

Visited August 2011
Tumon, Mariana Islands
63 attraction reviews
“Very good museum, worth a trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Admission was $5. Staff was kind and helpful. You can take pictures without a flash. I met the carver of the big storyboard inside.
I learned a lot about Palauan life.
It has a main level, a few displays downstairs. The whole upstairs is a gift shop. The gift shop is the most pricey gift shop I have been in on Palau.
The building and facilities was very attractive and modern.

I walked to this museum. It took me 10-15minutes from the West Plaza Downtown hotel. It is on the same road.

Visited June 2012
Morristown, New Jersey
48 attraction reviews
“Interesting museum and shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We enjoyed the displays and shells. The shop contains a huge assortment of items and is worth a look.

Visited March 2012