“Best accom on the island!” 5 of 5 stars

Namukulu Cottages & Spa
PO Box 171, Alofi, Niue   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Alofi
Auckland
“Best accom on the island!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

This was our first trip to niue and we were so so happy with our accomodation and the amazing service from Teresa and Brian who seem to know exactly what people need when they are on holiday.; The facilities in our cottage (one of four) were exactly what we needed. Teresa and brian were always on hand when we needed anything but at the same time gave us the space and privacy to just relax. The pool was gorgeous and we spent hours in it every day. Free use of their bikes was always a major bonus as opposed to other places where you have to pay. They also have a great stock of food you can buy if you miss the shops one day. This is without a doubt the most peaceful and enjoyable holiday i've every had. Loved their beautiful dogs too. I also got a beautiful facial and massage at teresa and brians day spa. That was also a highlight. Brian and teresa keep the grounds immaculate and the pool is always super clean. We are going back next year and the year after :-)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Namukulu, Owner at Namukulu Cottages & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Hi Kelly and Sebastian

We always enjoy when our guests have had one of their best holidays ever, and we are so happy that we were one of many on the Island to make this happen. We also thank you for your kind review. It was an absolute pleasure having the both of you as our guests on Niue, and we certainly look forward to your return to Niue in the near future. Take care, and keep well. Brian, Teressa and the Team, (and a special thank you from Fafine).

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Rockdale, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

During my recent holiday in Niue for the very first time between 07/02/14-21/02/14 I would often enjoy the pleasant drives around this beautiful peaceful Island. On Wednesday 12/02/14 I decided to call into Namukulu Cottages Spa, greeted by 2 well trained dogs and greeted with a warm friendly welcome from the owners Teressa & Brian, I only wanted to check out the room rates for a couple of friends from Sydney who were planing to visit Niue later in the year, I was kindly shown one of the Cottages & very impressed. Beautifully maintained grounds & a very quiet private setting & around 15-20 minute drive from Alofi. Teressa suggested I check-out the website occasionally on future room rates or any specials, also given some advertising material on the cottages, chatted with Teressa & Brian about past travels & other Pacific Islands I'd visited in the past. I wished I could have stayed there myself if not for my budget restraints & was happy enough to stay in Alofi. We also chatted about no BED & BREAKFAST accommodation around the Island apart from an expensive resort !!!

Room Tip: View your room before paying if possible
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Namukulu, Owner at Namukulu Cottages & Spa, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Hi Stephen,

It was certainly nice to meet you when you dropped in for a visit, and we certainly thank you for your positive feedback on our property. Based on reading some of the other reviews you published on Trip Advisor, your positive feedback on Niue showed you had a very enjoyable time on the Rock. Hopefully your friends when they do come to Niue will enjoy themselves as much as you did. I do not think it is correct to say the Matavai Resort is an expensive alternative option for people who want a Bed & Breakfast style accommodation. The Matavai Resort offers much more than a Bed & Breakfast and is very much liked by many visitors to Niue who prefer a ‘resort type style’ accommodation over a self-catering accommodation. We do hope you will be able to visit Niue again sometime and drop in for another visit. In the meantime, safe travels. Brian & Teressa
Suva, Fiji
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Although I was there for work, I had an amazing time in Niue which included my wonderful experience staying at the Namukulu cottages (hence the title). I was so well looked after by Brian and Teressa who are wonderful hosts and the rest of their "team" - being their gorgeous dogs who are great security - not that Niue even needs it; an incredibly safe place to stay. It's about a 15min drive from the town centre and I hired a scooter from Namukulu - perfect way to get around! I love that it's also close to some of the very scenic spots, including the Matapa Chasm, the Tavala Arches, Hio beach and the stunning Limu pools - I'd say all within a 5min scooter ride & all of which I had to myself! I also partook in the nearby village pump class that happens every Mon & Thurs - a 5min jog from Namukulu. The cottage I stayed in was perfect and had everything I needed. Being there on my own & a book fiend, when I wasn't working or out exploring, I was making use of their "library" - a great collection of books found in their office. Definitely have to go back for a holiday rather than a work trip - albeit a rather pleasurable one.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Namukulu, Owner at Namukulu Cottages & Spa, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Hi Pauline,

Many thanks for your review, and we, including the security team really enjoyed your company while you were here. Teressa and I would love to have you back for another visit, but hopefully, like you said you will be able to come to Niue on a personal holiday. Your scooter will be waiting for you at the airport. On your way you can drop into Crazy Uga for your first of many Cafe Latte. Again thanks, and hope to see you again soon.

Brian, Teressa, Elijah, Hope, Mya, Fafine, and Moresby
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

All we can say is wow,Brian and Teressa are the greatest hosts.The Cottages are Awesome,Location was so peaceful and serene,all our needs were catered for.The grounds were well maintained and pool cleaned.So when we return to the rock we know exactly where we will stay Namukulu Cottages.So thanks Brian and Teressa for being so Awesome.Tony And Mina......

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Namukulu, Owner at Namukulu Cottages & Spa, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Hi Mina & Tony

We are pleased you finally found us after all your visits to Niue. We would love to have you back again sometime soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We have just come back home from a wonderful holiday on the beautiful island of Niue staying at Namukulu Cottages which is situated in beautifully well kept grounds with an awesome view. They modern clean cottages are truly on the best part of the island and very safe up there too. Brian and Teressa really are the perfect hosts and have thought of so many small details to making our holiday a magical one. We were greeted by a big friendly smile from Teressa who picked us up from the Airport. We stayed in the 2 bedroom cottage with 2 teenagers. The cottages supplied everything you could think of even a few essentail food items to get you started. Towels were changed everyday so this was great for us with all the swimming we were doing in the local swimming spots such as Hio Beach, Matapa Chasm and Limu Pools which were all within a few minutes drive. I've never swam in such amazing spots as these in all my life. There was even a pool right outside our room which was a big bonus and we swam a lot in here too. We hired their rental car for the week and the kids hired the 2 scooters which they loved so they didn't have to hang with us all the time. Reef shoes are available to use as well as snorkel and masks so we didnt have to go elsewhere on the island to hire anything that was needed which is so convenient, They have a pizza night once a week and we took advantage of this. We sat outside under the sheltered seated area where Donna came up with all her ingredients for delicious pizzas - well recommended. On our last day we got a bit of wind and rain from the cyclone in Tonga so what better way to spend the last day getting pampered by Teressa in the Spa. I treated myself to a facial and a wonderful foot massage. The products Teressa used were lovely on my skin and all natural. My sons teenage girlfriend had the same and she also loved it so much she fell asleep!! The dogs are so lovely and friendly - we were not dog lovers only cat lovers before we stayed here but the dogs were so friendly they didn't bother us at all. Mya and Fafene really touched our hearts and Roimata really misses Fafene, we have some great photos which we will post later on.We have already highly recommended Namukulu to friends as the best place to stay in Niue. Thanks again Brian and Teressa, you are both wonderful hosts and nothing was ever to big or too small for you to assist us with - we hope to back one day!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hi Sonja, Mark, Roimata, and Nick

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay in Niue. Hopefully you can squeeze in a few more trips to Niue between your Cook Island visits. We thoroughly enjoyed meeting you, and Mya misses Roi in the pool.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed a week at Teresa and Brian's beautiful cottages. We loved how secluded and well facilitated the cottage was. Everyday was hot in October so we were thankful for the pool outside the cottage. The lookout point was stunning and well worth photo taking. Apparently whales were spotted from that point and I can see why, with the unobstructed and high view.

The two bedroom apartments fit all 6 of us quite comfortably. No problems with mosquitos inside and cooking facilities and utensils were convenient and clean.

Couldn't have imagined staying anywhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hi Rebecca

It was great meeting you and the family and pleased that Ray was able to renew family connections on the Island. Hope to see you again sometime soon.

Waitakere City, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Well, okay, maybe not everything... the mannerless (read drunk, partying and with zero consideration for other guests staying) tenants of the other cottages (a family group of 13) during our weeks stay were less than pleasant but that is not a situation likely to arise again as neither we, nor Brian and Teressa enjoyed that aspect of things and, according to their clearly stated views, it is not a situation likely to be allowed to happen again.

Teressa is in charge of all things 'within the cottages' and she does this fantastically!! Your sheets smell so good (she uses a special blend of essential oils in the wash), there is a choice of two pillows (one firm, one soft) for each person. The bed was so comfy we checked the brand and came home and replaced ours with the same one! There are so many little things that are provided that go above and beyond (we rent a lot of holiday homes so I notice these things). Paper towels, liquid soap, bathroom spray, many things - more than I can recall. Lots of kitchen gear (good sharp knives too) and if something isn't working... just ask, if it can be fixed, it will be.

The grounds are well cared for by Brian (with help from the lovely Linda at times - she who will tirelessly prune a shrub 'just so' and make you feel exhausted just watching her), she helps in the cottages as well and is also an excellent source of where the best local bananas can be purchased... yum!

Now to those darn dogs. It's a real nuisance to have to be loved by four fantastic canine companions over the course of a week (not!). Elijah (old gent that he is) will come and go (slowly albeit) but he always gets there in the end. Hope has a thing for toast (but don't feed her, it's a no, no... if we all fed the dogs they'd be little porkers in no time). Fafine is a very sociable young lady, if you need to spot where she's at just check for the Basil Brush type tail! And Miss Mya, well she's a special girl. "Have you seen my toy?". "It's right there in the pool!!" "You wanna play right?!?" They're all happy, sociable dogs leading a great life there in Niue with Brian and Teressa and they add to the whole vibe of this special place. We miss them and talk of them often.

We're pretty sure that we'll be back and most of that is based on Brian and Teressa (and their 'gang' of course). They've created a wonderful place that is worth returning to. Maybe we'll see you both for New Years 2014 - promise we'll bring an extra bag full of yummy food and share a good night or two. :)

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Diane & Andrew

Many thanks for spending the time giving us a lovely review. We certainly hope you will return to Niue at some stage and stay with us again, and we can enjoy your company over a meal on the deck. I am sure the dogs would also appreciate your company again.

Brian & Teressa and the Team

Been to Namukulu Cottages & Spa? Share your experiences!