“Brilliant budget option” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Le Lagon Hotel

You added Le Lagon Hotel to your Saves list
Le Lagon Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   149 Route de l'Anse Vata, Noumea, Grand Terre 98800, New Caledonia   |
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Noumea
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oslo, Norway
“Brilliant budget option”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

We stayed at Le Lagon in Nouméa for 7 nights in June/July 2006 while on holiday in New Caledonia. Located two minutes walk from the Anse Vata beach, you won't get a more ideal location than this, for for an equally low price. Furthermore, the even more pleasant beach at Baie des Citrons is only 15 minutes away by foot, so you do have options.

As a cost-concious couple we found that this was a reasonable priced option, as we had heard over the years that NC could be terribly expensive. Being budget travellers we were looking for an appartment hotel, so that we could prepare most meals ourselves. The kitchen was fully equipped. However, our studio did not have an oven, only an electric cooker. The studio appartment itself is good and has daily maiden service, but still it could have been cleaner. The staff are really nice and helpful.

For budget travellers and backpackers, Le Lagon is a great alternative to staying in youth hostels located in Nouméa city centre, as you would be wasting money every day on bus or taxi.

All in all Le Lagon is a great place to stay if one does not want to splash out the entire holiday budget on the accomodation itself.

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

I stayed for 5 nights at the Lagon in a studio apartment and I really enjoyed my time there! My room was at a corner of the building, so I had a nice breezy balcony and a nice view of the Coral Sea.

Why the Lagon is a great place to stay at...
1) This is one of the few places that I stayed at in the French South Pacific that I didn't feel ripped me off.
2) The location is FANTASTIC! Anse vata is one of the nicest areas of Noumea. The beach is ony a few minutes walk away and the city bus stops only a few steps away from the hotel.
3) The hotel staff were very friendly and arranged for a shuttle to pick me up from the airport when I booked my stay over the internet.
4) There are alot of restaurants close by. If you are loking to self-cater, there are two grocery shops just a few doors down.
5) My room was very clean and the hotel in general looks like is has been kept up well.

Other things you should know...
1) Although some people on staff spoke English, it is helpful if you can speak a little French. I found that in New Caledonie, in general, people did not speak a whole lot of English. This said, I found the people to be very friendly and mor ethan willing to help me out in any way that they could.
2) The international airport is damn far away, so arrange for a shuttle to bring you there and back, or prepare to pay a hefty taxi bill.
3) The Lagon is on a busy road, but I didn't find this to be much of a bother as the windows were pretty sound proof.

Other stuff about New Caledonia...
1) New Caledonia is a fantastic place to visit! The people are very warm and there is a really cool mixture of French and Melanesian culture.
2) Separatism from France and clashes with mining companies are two major concerns in NC at the moment, so check the social climate when you are planning your visit.
3) Must-Do things that should be on your list are to visit the Museum of New Caledonia, check out the Tjibaou Cultural Centre, snorkelling from the beaches (you can see eagle rays and octopus right from the pier at Anse Vata!). Try your best to get out to the Isle of Pines (do more than a day trip, though, as the island is an unbelievable paradise, and you might not want to travel for 5 hours on stormy seas in one day). The Parc de la Riviere Bleu is supposed to be amazing, and the island of Ouvea is well worth a viist. Trips to Amedee Islet are very expensive, but offer a lot for the price.

Have a wonderful trip to this AMAZING corner of the world and seriously consider staying at the Lagon for a comfortable and wallet-friendly experience.

Chris =)

• Stayed June 2006
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2005

I went to New Caledonia in Jan 2004 with my mum.

I'll cover my review in the following sub headings:

ROOMS
Let me start by saying that this is budget accommodation and as such the style and level of accommodation is inline with what you pay.

The room was small and had 2 single beds. We stayed on the 2nd floor. There was a small kitchenette with a hot plate but no microwave so we could make basic meals. Also a small fridge. The bathroom was average but clean.
There was a balcony which helped with drying swimmers and towels at night. The road was busy and it was too hot to leave the door open at night. The air conditioner didn’t work properly and rattled and was pretty old. A ceiling fan would have been wonderful! (unfortunately none!) In general the whole building had a musty smell and we didn’t spend too much time there.
I felt safe and clean and slept well at night except for it being really hot.

FACILITIES
There was no pool which at first I was disappointed by but the beach is very close, calm and lovely.
We didn’t use the restaurant or the tour information.

SERVICE
Was friendly and helpful.

LOCATION
5 minutes stroll to the beach. The road is fairly busy though – so hang on to kids!
Next door was a pizza place and a small shop we could buy dinner like things from and make lunch for our days out and about.
It was central to Anse Vata area which is nice.
Public buses were very good and easy to use.
The beach is lovely so spend some time here.
The local restaurants are OK but they range from very basic to very expensive. We found a lovely little French café which was very good value and lovely food (head out of the hotel, turn left to main road, turn left and head down towards the group of shops/restaurants. Its in the 2nd plaza area)

OTHER COMMENTS
In regards to this hotel – I wouldn’t stay there again. I would pay a bit more and stay some where a bit more upmarket. But for the budget traveller – you get what you pay for.

I also probably wouldn’t go to New Caledonia again (having been all over the world). We were there for 10 days and were pretty bored by the end.

But I will say – Isle of Pine is completely amazing and the highlight of the trip. Catch the ferry over for the day and take the walk up the river and through the bush to the snorkelling hole on the back side of the island. Idyllic.
I would have liked to have gone to Amadee but book ahead as it sells out.
Get out and about while here and see the culture – interesting mix of French and Polynesian.

If you get a chance to snorkel it really is beautiful.

Enjoy your trip.

• Stayed January 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2005

I went to Noumea mid January 2005 with my 17 yr old son and stayed at Le Lagon.
We had a one bedroom appartment on the fifth floor with fantastic views over the bay.
The appartment was great as it had a fold away bed in the lounge that my son used so he got some privacy and a large balcony where we spent most of the time when we were in the hotel which was not a lot as we were down at the beach or sightseeing most of the time.Also had a great kitchen setup but we ate out all the time.
Really friendly staff, very clean and very conveniently situated for the beach, restaurants and shopping. However, may not suit everyone as no room service, pool etc. but we were not after that and also kept the rates down.
Alpha Travel office right next door was vey handy and they were great in getting all our trips organised, definitely recommend them.
Two small supermarkets within 200 metres of hotel were really handy and again very friendly and helpful which was great as our Frech was limited.
The two restaurants either side of the hotel were good.
Large number of reasonably priced restaurants over in the Bay de Citrons which was only a short walk away. definitely recommend the Casa Portugal and La Fiesta.
Also recommend a visit to the 3 Brasseurs where they brew their own beer, have a Happy Hour every week night and great music, great place to visit before going for a meal.
Trip to Amadee lighthouse is fantastic well worth the mony and great snorkelling.
Hope to get back again soon and would stay at Le Lagon again

Wellington New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2005

We went to Noumea in Oct 04 and stayed at Le Legon Hotel on Ansa Vata beach. We had a 1br apartment on the top floor with spectacular views. The beach was a short walk away and after initial disappointment at no pool on site we enjoyed our walk to a very safe and clean beach, with free use of the facilities at the Info Centre which included beach chairs, boats etc. The hotel was well positioned for the beach, local restaurants, aquarium and a very good dairy/store just up the road. We walked a block to this little shop and bought most of our food including fresh french sticks every morning. Two of us lived very nicely on storebought food for around 25-30nz$ per day. We bought a few items such as coffee and crackers with us, which supplemented our food.

We plan to go again this year and this time would take a rental car on day 2 and go in to the market which we only went to near the end of our stay last time. Heaps of fruit and vegies and lovely fresh meat and incredible seafood. We also discovered a supermarket just further up the road from our hotel at the very end of our stay. So we would do a big stock up while we had the car plus a bit of out of town sight seeing.

We found the restaurants pretty boring - the cheaper end were all the same croque monsier toasted sandwiches, omlettes or overpriced undersized ham burgers on Ansa Vata beach. A great shop selling gelati though!!! At the local shop the meat was all imported and frozen in packs of 4. At the market the butcher had fresh meat and we had beautiful fillet steak (from NZ!!). Next time we will take a chilly pack and freezer bag to carry food in and also useful to take a picnic lunch out to ile de canard - highly recommended for snorkelling as is the diving bell experience. The trip to Amadee lighthouse is also excellent.

Can highly recommend the English tour guide with the luxury van whose name escapes me but he is the only Pom in town and well worth going on day trips with - excellent vehicle, great raconteur and a truly pleasurable day out.

We stayed 10 days and enjoyed the experience more than Fiji and Vanuatu. Next time we plan to stay at Casa Del Sole - not as well located as Le Legon but we want to try somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2004

Been to Le Lagon Hotel? Share your experiences!