“The French...always known for their customer service!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau Royal Beach Resort and Spa

You added Chateau Royal Beach Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Chateau Royal Beach Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   140 Promenade Roger Laroque | BP 18716, Noumea, Grand Terre 18 716, New Caledonia   |
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Noumea
Melbourne, Australia
“The French...always known for their customer service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Loud & very much lacking in basic customer service! Waited about 45 mins for the shuttle booked through the hotel to finally depart the airport (in spite of being told that all fellow shuttle travelers were on our same flight). Then, arrived at hotel at 1:45pm. In spite of being first in line to check in (with a very tired toddler in tow by this point), were told that room not clean yet (Wow...apparently a quick 15-min clean done precisely at check-in time!)...watched all other guests check in easily. Room nice & modern. However, at night discovered that we must actually be sandwiched between function rooms and/or a disco...was so loud (and this was at 3:00am on a Tuesday night)! Had to ask several times (reception hung up on us the first time we called) for replacement towels, as we had missed the boat on getting our room cleaned when toddler was sleeping (Apparently 'Please clean room' sign that we put out for the 5 hours prior to her sleep must have been invisible). Got locked out of our room (due to faulty lock mechanism). Took 3 trips back to reception before anyone dealt with problem effectively. Pool towels (which had to be signed out at reception...somewhere in pool area might have been too convenient) unavailable until midday (pool opened at 8am). Also needed to request a maintenance person to unclog shower drain (at least in theory) and fix tv remote on our first day. Resort is lovely & restaurant dinners (at hotel) were nice, but for us, a little bit of service would go a long way to improving the place. Still here as writing this, so hopefully things improve!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
René-Pierre D, Directeur général at Chateau Royal Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
I read your text, and deeply regret that your stay remains only negative points. The title of your review shocked me, blame the "French" in general seems a bit simplistic. I have traveled extensively, including Australia and the home of the big hotels in Melbourne as in Sydney is very uneven, from best to worst. He did not come to the idea of ​​declaring that Australians do not know how welcome it would be wrong and a bit xenophobic. You are not satisfied with the delay of 45 minutes from the airport shuttle: the hotel is not responsible for it ,There is inevitably a logical explanation in this delay, without questioning the professionalism of the developers of this shuttle. I understand that you have disturbed, but should not influence you to give a bad score to our hotel. You have arrived at 1:45 PM at the hotel, the room was not ready, and you think you can clean a 15 minutes ... Our check in time is 14:00, and our occupancy important, as the indiscipline of some customers delayed leaving their room (and we leave the dishes) leads us to meet this dead line. Now, you're wrong on seriously cleaning time of our suites.In 15 minutes, you do not even make half of the bathroom! Surfaces go of 45 m ² to 65 m ² far from 15 in 30 m ² of a standard room(chamber) without kitchen, nor washing machine, oven to micro waves, dirty dish..... We stay 1 hour minimum to put back an in order suite after the passage of a customer!
I am also sorry that you had a narrow-minded siphon of shower, a defective mechanism of door, a remote control of television difficult to handle. The hotel is new, and I wonder about the simultaneity of these phenomena, very unusual in fact. The team maintenance, every time, intervened successfully, as I was able to read it on the exercise book of technical complaints. The noise: as I said it repeatedly, we have no nightclub in the hotel. It is certainly about the nightclub called "BODEGA" which is situated in 500 m as the crow flies of the Hotel, on a pontoon advancing on the sea. We had no activity in our lounges of the beginning of the year until January 12th; when to restaurants in front of the beach, I do not understand which noise can go back up to your room.
You also speak to us about the cleaning of your room: account held by the constraints which we undergo and evoked higher, we bring the biggest care to this aspect of our business. Apparently, you had difficulty in having clean towels, that I cannot understand. You also speak towels of swimming pool, which you could have only till noon(south). This procedure does not exist, and you can get yourselves clean(appropriate) towels(briefcases) of swimming pool either in the reception, or in the swimming pool during opening hours.... I think that it is about misunderstandings which he would have been simpler to settle on the spot by addressing a manager, or even by appealing to me.... I am French, but especially citizen of the world, and all my hosts are precious for me.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed with our 1 yr old son
The room was clean and very nice always made the room up .
But the staff at reception were not helpful at all they just said no to everything or come back later it was as if everything was to hard
There was no shade we asked for a umbrella for the pool they gave us a rain umbrella ! Really!!! They got umbrellas on the last day . The pool hours where a bit confusing one day to another the times changed of the opening time . There was no variety when it came to food in the hotel menu was the same for lunch and dinner with no specials and even though they cooked the same things all day they had time frames that they wouldn't bend . They had food at the bar in the pool area 3 variety of bread rolls except on the 2nd day by 10.3 they had sold out and on the Monday they didn't have any because the other 3 restaurants were closed doesn't really make sense it was as if they were making it as hard as possible to eat.
The grass is a joke the only shade in the place and they kick you off it once to sit on it , but security are able to smoke on !!!

All in all the royal terra looks good but didn't deliver

• Stayed January 2013
René-Pierre D, Directeur général at Chateau Royal Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
We had not long since received notice also sliced ​​and negative about our hotel, and I'm really sorry. I know the reception staff, he can not say no to everything. So this is a misunderstanding that could be cleared up if you came to see me as do many other guests of our hotel. I have explained why there were more umbrellas at the pool, and why they came, why the front lawn of the restaurants below can not be used. The pool hours are the same every day, but of course, we close the pool bar if the weather is bad (wind, rain ... etc). Our pool bar is all avnt bar, and extra food they can offer is necessarily limited. Now I recalls that the restaurants below are not managed by us, but by an external company. When our restaurant Le Taom, it still offers a daily full map (9 starters, 7 meat and poultry, fish 4, 6 desserts, ice creams and sorbets card, children's menu with choice ... etc), changed all three months and a market menu (2 starters, 2 mains, 2 desserts) changing every week. It must be hard not to find the flat taste.I would add that the restaurants below are open every day except Monday, and Anse Vata offers a number of small and large restaurants that can satisfy everyone. I can only express my regret you to your opinion so negative. A little communication would have changed many things .....
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We travelled without our adult chn. We were staying in a hillside one bedroom apartment. We were very pleased with the room- it was modern and very clean. It was serviced everyday. Tea and coffee was available in the room. A laundry is available on each floor - at no cost. The pool area was clean, towels were provided and umbrellas put up around the pool. This resort has direct beach access. The water was free of rubbish unlike time spent in Bali . We enjoyed the short walk into town everyday to buy supplies and for our evening meals- we recommend the Vietnamese , chinese and Thai restaurants. Prices are not cheap but the food was fresh and tasty. We have travelled a lot and will return to noumea - no hassling like in Bali. It helps if you have some understanding of French but you can get by if you do not! Taxis are available at about ten Australian dollars to get into the centre of the city. Debbie

Room Tip: We chose the hillside as we thought it might be quieter than the beach or poolside. Noise was not a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

A new looking well appointed large hotel with a resort feel. We were impressed by the clean, well appointed room, with kitchen. The kitchen had sufficient inclusions to actually make cooking a viable option for longer staying guests. The hotel wifi worked to an acceptable standard. Lifts require room key's to access your floor and you should ask for more than one key on check-in.

American Style Buffet Breakfast was included and of an average standard with a wide range of selections. The Bar offered reasonable range of drinks and fair prices with friendly staff. The hotel has several restaurants on the lower floor which are not managed by the hotel offering a range of meal types.

The hotel gym was well appointed with multiple cardio machines and could cater to busy usage periods.

The pool while scenic, attractive and clean offers little shade during the day and limited lounge chair seating. No other types of seating or storage space for possessions is available in this area which is a disappointment. Security guards also patrol the entrance to the pool area. Unfortunately I found their over zealous checking that people entering the pool area were guests to be a major turn off. The guard we encountered refused to believe we were guests and made quite a scene with a threatening manner. The experience completely ruined my enjoyment of the facilities and could be better managed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in September and had a wonderful 5 days. Our room was very spacious and had a king sized bed. All very modern as the resort has been totally refurbished.
This resort is one of only two in the area with direct beach access, the others are across the main road.
Staff at the hotel were very helpful with assistance and guidance for directions. I was a little worried that I'd have trouble being understood at first, as I speak no French. But, the staff at the desk spoke English very well, and there was no problem being understood.
Breakfasts were good and plentiful.
We really liked noumea and will return, and will definitely stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed three weeks in a great, two bedroom apartment overlooking the garden and pool. The apartment was modern and very comfortable, suiting our needs ideally. The pool area and bar service is very good although access to some shade would be nice. The breakfast available is more than adequate. However, this hotel needs to decide whether its hotel patrons or reception guests are a priority. Obviously popular for wedding receptions and parties, we had too many nights disturbed by loud music and drunken revelry. We were on the 5th floor and one night in particular there was loud music and fireworks until 2am and an after party on the floor above ensured we had very little sleep at all.

Room Tip: Bay view is ideal but probably right above reception centre.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
René-Pierre D, Directeur général at Chateau Royal Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your comments about our rooms and our location, we are quite proud .... By cons, we are sorry that your peace was disturbed by the weddings and other events held at the hotel. It's true, December is the month of weddings every weekend. And it is true that during this month, which is the beginning of the austral summer, there are many people on the beach. Local police visits and multiplies it happens not too bad ... The fireworks, we like it here, but it is not that we organize, because it is highly regulated. But some times it is beyond our control. We try increasing the number of our guards to reduce these problems, and once again, we are really sorry that you could not relax as you wanted.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

In response to the hotel manager and his reply, see below, I was meaning the hotel restaurant on the same level as reception.
The food was appaling and mostly inedible with the venison being sent back due to it being raw. The mahi mahi with saffron risotto, which looked and tasted like scrambled eggs, with a slab of chorizo, which looked and tasted like leather, on the side was accompanied by a smear of gravox like gloop all in all simply inedible.
In contrast we ate at the restaurants on the lower level, not owned by the hotel,
last night and the food was good.
Such a shame such a great property is ruined by substandard, overpriced and inedible food in its signature restaurant.
I am posting a photo of the mahi mahi disaster.

• Stayed December 2012
I'm sorry for your comments about our new restaurant menu, yet appreciated as you can read on other reviews. So far, I have not had a review as negative, and two different dishes .... I confess that I do not understand, because eating at the restaurant every day, morning and evening, and being quite critical our own production (for the benefit of our clients), I never noticed such a bad quality! If you're still on New Caledonia, I would like to invite you to erase the bad impression, and show you our kitchen team, out of the best schools, you can delight the palate ...... Because so much culinary disaster intrigues me and upsets me .....

Been to Chateau Royal Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!