“Security, security, security.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Airways Hotel

You added Airways Hotel to your Saves list
Airways Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jacksons Parade | Jacksons International Airport, Port Moresby P O Box no 1942, Papua New Guinea   |
Offers & Announcements
MAY Special !
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Port Moresby
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Darwin, Australia
“Security, security, security.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Spent 5 nights due to work stop over.

The rooms are quite tidy and well appointed

The security in the hotel compound is excelent. Hotel and restarant staff were well dressed, well spoken, polite, and efficient. The gym is enjoyable to use with the bounus of having a lap pool and squash courts, the pool area next to the restarant, on the 7th level, is also quite nice.

Down side,,, The restarant near the pool area seamed to have a private function every second night, Thus limmiting the choice of meals and seating. The free wifi leaves a lot to be desired, and is only available in some of the hotel lounges. It is not a "cheap" place to stay, so expect some rather suprising high prices for goods and sevices.

All in all an enjoyable experience and will be my choice in PM again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Hello Malariamick

Thank you for your comments and praise for the hotel and the staff. The Health and Fitness Club is free for all our inhouse guests.

I apologise that the Poolside restaurant was fully booked by one our guest. Which is not very often and not every second night, I would like it to be. I can recall that night, the same menu was offerd in the other restaurant along with their own menu. Also the Bacchus Restaurant was open too.

The WIFI and free internet is available 24 hours in four of our lounges and 7C area. All rooms are WIFI enabled. Sometimesthe guests have to adjust their settings also when the POM internetr is down then we are helpless.

We are a quality Hotel and have three categories of rooms with three rate bands. It is our guests choice to book whichever one they like. Our rates are very competative and visible on all booking channels and on our website. The food and beverage priees are actually lower than some other hotels and stand alone cafes. I agree with you that Crabtree and Evelyn, Dunhill shop are expensive as they are branded products.

Thank you.
Sushil Gordon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Ive stayed in Port Moresby on previous occasions and it still beats my why the accommodation is so expensive Airways is a very nice hotel and off course you pay for service and quality - the only bad point I have against this hotel is that I accidently booked a room for a extra night got my dates all wrong due to cancellation of a trip to Rabaul anyway Airways reception staff wernt interested in my mistake and agree it was mine but what I didn't like was that they wouldn't match the original price I had paid on line for the extra night I had to pay for which I thought was pretty poor the only excuse they gave me was that they were fully booked so off course money grabbing at my expensive would I stay here again maybe or maybe not I just wish with all the development going on in Port Moresby that the monopoly was shared around its obvious the hotels are all owned by the same people so there's not much competition between them hoping if a few more hotels open up and give great prices then the over all prices may come down a little

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Oneday64

Thank you for your comments.

Thank you for making the comparison for service and product. When the occupancy is very high we usually sell out our Bacchus rooms. I must say they are very popular also the price is very attractive. We are sometimes lower than the other hotels on some booking channels.

We apologise that you had to pay the next category up. Unfortunatly the occupnacy was high and it is not an excuse. Recently we have experienced high occupancy consistently.

Airways is PNG owned and not a part of any hotel chain. We have operated independendly for the past 26 years for the same owners. I also disagree that there is no competition. I can assure you that there is plenty. There are other cheaper hotels in POM and you can find them on all booking channels.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Just spent 5 weeks at Airways for work. Yes it is expensive but stacks up well compared to the Grand Papua.

Reservations was a little bit of a lottery and probably the weakest point of the operation. My stay had one end on the cover page, and the correct length of say on the next. However I must say the rooms are very well maintained, service in the rooms is good with an efficient nightly turn down service. The bed was very comfortable I am having trouble getting used to my own bed again.
Staff are extremely friendly, it is only when a passing guest fails to smile you notice how polite and friendly the staff are, they always have a smile.
Wifi in the fountain lounge is slow 5-6.30 while the lounge is in full swing but it is fine most other times and greatly improved since a previous visit in February.
Decor is first rate, it's a little strange there are just 10 television stations, and I gave up on trying to find the complementary DVDs.
For food I liked the KC deli, air con is handy when it gets humid outside. Breakfast is buffet style and very efficiently run. Although the lack of a good toaster lets the place own a bit. Service is generally efficient, and Alice is always on the look out for anything going astray.

Overall the grounds make it a relaxing stay for Port Moresby, with the view of the airport at breakfast quite beautiful.
I would recommend staying here if you need to visit Moresby.

Room Tip: Fountain lounge has sparkling wine, Martinis and nibbles, daily 5-7, wifi is free at the fountain lo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hello Frnaknbetty1
Thanks you for your comments and your business.

It is a shame that you stayed with us for so lang and could not get a DVD to watch. The DVDs are available through he butler in the lounges. All our staff are always available to receiev any feedback from our guests. I wish you told us earlier in your stay.

The internet is free 24 hours in all the lounges and also in 7c, we are currently working on other hot spots for our guests. We usually do not get any negetive feedback on our speed of the internet. I have asked our IT department to check and make sure that we get the most possible speed.
I am pleased that you tried the different food outlets in the hotel. I know that we provide a better value when you compare our prices not only to the other hotels but little stand alone cafes in town. I hope you tried our lunch special @k30 in Vue and other specials in Deli KC at very reasonable prices. We promise the best food quality.

Living in POM for 5 weeks you would have seen this yourself.

Thank you once again and hope to see you in Airways very soon and perhaps try Bacchus Restaurant.

Regards
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Excellent hotel. Staff ate excellent very friendly and can't do enough for you. Foods good and rooms are nice. Hotel is kept immaculate. Nice swimming pool spa and gym facility's. bit quiet at nights but nice and relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2013
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Hello MartinC

Thank you for your views. I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed our hospitality. Our staff are our asset and really try hard to make your stay as comfortable as possibile.

Thank you once again and we look frward to welcoming you back to Airways Hotel soon.

Best Regards
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The service here is extremely good, the room prices are very high, but the food is excellent, the breakfast buffet has something for everyone, the omelettes are great, some rooms are a little dated and if possible avoid rooms 2041 to 2045 as they're on the ground level sandwiched between the carpark (complete with shotgun carrying Guard) and the access walkway to other areas of the hotel, the constant opening and closing of the access doors, and the aircon units nearby, make for quite noisy rooms. Having said that the beds are some of the most comfortable I've been in so it still made for a restful sleep using a pillow over my head. .

The rest of the hotel is definitively the best in Moresby.

Room Tip: avoid 2041 to 2045
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Hello Frequent_Fly_1977

Thank you for choosing Airways Hotel for your recent visit and your comments.

Firstly my apologies that you could not get a good night sleep as that is our number one priority in rooms as we understand that our guests are traveling and often have very early start for their meetings.

The security for our guests is to make them feel secured and not be intimidated by it. We have an excellent record. Our security is first class and run by industry professionals.

You are right that we have Aircon compressors on the ground floor however we have never had a comment of being noisy as they are super quite. Our maintenance deaprtment has checked them to ensure. We have now adjusted the doors also so the sound is not heard in the room.

Our room prices are comarable with the similar star hotels in Port Moresby. We have hot spots around the hotel for the guests to surf the net free of charge 24 hours. Martini hours and small eats. When you compare the amenities and inclusions, we always come out in front. We can not compete with some of the other hotels in Port Moresby. I am sure you will understand why.

Thank you for noticing the variety and quality of our food. We only choose high quality ingredients and it shows in the taste..

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with us and we hope to see you at Airways Hotel very soon.

Regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

In country where most of the 5* hotels are somewhat faded glories, this was a pleasant contrast. International standard 5* facilities, huge luxurious suites and an stunning rooftop restaurant/pool complex with stunning views over the airfield. Security is obviously the number 1 concern here, and a combination of fencing, moats, multiple armed guards, and several layers of keycard security means you're as safe as you're ever going to be in Moresby. Service was generally efficient and friendly - although areas like the restaurant and bars sometimes suffer a bit from being OVERstaffed! In all - recommended - and much better value than other top end PNG hotels.

Room Tip: I booked the standard rooms and got a free upgrade to a Dakota Suite. Worth asking as this seems lik...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hello TimS1980

Thank you for your comments.

Our facilities and first class and we take care of our guests as they are reason we are here. The security is run by very experinced, fully trained professionals with International experience.

As our ongoing commitment to local schools and colleges, we take on jobs trainees throughout the year to enhance their hands on job experience. You may have noticed a number of them in all departments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Airways on your next visit.

Always a pleasure.

With Regards
Ssuhil Gordon
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Last stayed at Airways 18 months ago and it is great to see that it is still excellent. When compared to the other hotels in POM it is great value and as hotel prices in Australia steadily increase. what once looked expensive is now reasonable especially given the amazing facilities and service that you receive at Airways. The Health Club; The Spa, The butler service, The Club floor lounges,The retail outlets and not to mention the food.

Room Tip: Get a Dakota Wing room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hello Whereswally2010

Thank you for choosing Airways hotel again for your recent stay in POM.

Airways Hotel has been here for the last 26 years and have the reputaion for best facilities, food and service. I agree with you regarding the facilities and the service for our guests. We have guests like yourself who return to POM and choose to stay with us due to this.

Thank you for your comments.

We hope to welcome you back to Airways on your next visit. Always a pleasure.

Best Regards
Sushil Gordon.

Been to Airways Hotel? Share your experiences!