“Best Hotel by far in Port Moresby” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Airways Hotel

Save Saved
You added Airways Hotel to your Saves list
Airways Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jacksons Parade | Jacksons International Airport, Port Moresby 121, Papua New Guinea   |
Special Rate
Business Advantage
Ranked #1 of 11 hotels in Port Moresby
Brisbane, Australia
“Best Hotel by far in Port Moresby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed here during a recent layover in Port Moresby and was pleasantly surprised. Have stayed in many first class Hotels all over the world and this is right up there!!. Is expensive of course but the service is fantastic as is the food and all the facilities all 4.5 - 5 star international standards. Pool area is great as is the bar and restaurant area which has great views over the Airport and ranges. Where the hotel really impressed me however was through the architecture and interior decor which was all exceptional quality. The recreation facilities are excellent; gym is well stocked and will satisfy any traveler, there is also a tennis court and child minding facility as well.
Enjoyed a massage at Bliss Spa which is top notch and comparable to any Spa facility i have used abroad.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay here while and would definitely return.

Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Have a drink at the Bacchus Bar in the Dakota wing of the property.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Hello Derek 1971

Thank you for recent visit at the Airways. I am happy to know that you had a chance to visit most of our facilities.
Generally guests who only book through on line do not know the extent of the beauty, services and the class of our hotel. We are not part of a chain hotel and sometimes the guests prefer to go with a chain hotel with what they are confortable with and I can understand that fully. The hotel has been here for the past 25 years and has grown from Bacchus Wing to Dakota Wing under the same owners. They invest back in the property to keep it fresh and also in staff trainning so our guests can enjoy the facilities and services. Thats is why we are the best Hotel in PNG, Leading hotel in Australasia and the World according to the Worl Travel Awards for 2012.

Thank you for your kind comment sand We look forward to welcoming you back to the Airways soon.

Happy New Year!

189 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

One night of passion and good times .... as long as you don't mind lights out at 9pm.

Fabulous decor and attention to detail. A great hotel in Port Moresby and world class. Yet, it is a shame that guests cannot enjoy a game of billiards or a drink after the restaurant closes. At least the beds are nice .... so we didn't mind the relatively un-adventurous end to our night of hijinks. We had an early start anyway, so it was great to get a good night's sleep.

Not recommended if you are looking for a nightcap or an a.m.-to-bed adventure. Otherwise, a beautiful hotel. Big thumbs up to decorating and interior design.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Anita

Thank you for choosing Airways Hotel for your recent stay and your comments.
As you may have noticed the 4 Lounges in Dakota Wing and Fountain Wing are open 24 hours with Butlers in attendance. The Havanaba closes at 12 Mid night.

Yes you are right this is not a place for late night caps etc. Perhaps on your next visit I can recommned our sister hotel's night club which is the best in town and opens till very late.

Once again thank you and we look forward for your custom on your next visit to POM.

Happy New Year!

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

this place is a little paradise in somewhat troubled country I cannot emphasise how impressed we were. the food was fantastic the staff were friendly and helpful the rooms are large and modern the only thing I could pick was the AirCon was a bit noisy I know when I go back to PNG that is where I will be staying.

Room Tip: all rooms seem to be well above average
Hello Razor796

Thank you choosing Airways Hotel for your recent stay and your positive comments on our food, room and facilities. I am please to hear that you had a pleasant stay.
Your comments on the Aircondition have been taken on board and now been rectified.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you to the Airways Hotel on your next visit.

Happy New Year!!

Cebu Island, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This place is a welcome oasis when in Port Moresby. Stayed in a Dakota Jnr Suite (still unclear why it's called a suite) which is your typical bog-standard hotel room. About 4-star in terms of room facilities. Very limited selection of TV channels and the room WiFi internet is patchy and slow. although this is pretty normal in PNG. The internet connection seems to improve considerably when in the main restaurant.

Where the hotel really shines though is in the architecture and grounds. Overlooking the airport, it is easy to spend time in the restaurant dreaming about far away places while watching planes come and go. The food is in abundance and generally up to 4 -> 5 star international standards. In particular I would recommend KC Deli.

Also of particular note and quality is the live entertainment. I stayed at the hotel for 2 weeks and during this time enjoyed 2 live acts, both fronted by extremely talented females singers. The choice and decision by the hotel to put on live performances in this way is excellent and made me want to spend more time in the restaurant.

Make sure if you stay, that you try the Bacchus Bar over in the Dakota wing of the property. You might be surprised who you bump into while there!

The gym and tennis courts are also of a high standard and will satisfy any overseas traveler for variety of equipment.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay here while on business in Port Moresby and would definitely recommend this property if you are planning on doing the same.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Hello Duge

Thank you for your custom and your comments. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Airways and give your recommendation to future travellers.

Our apologies that our junior suite did not please you. The bedroom. lounge room and the study area are designed to give our guests the freedom to work from their room should they wish to do so. We have further looked into our speed of WiFi and now confident that it is at appropirate level. As you may that we now have free internet in our Fountain and Dakota wing lounges 24 hours. Thnak you for pointing this out to us.

The HAVABA. bar in Bacchus is been there since day one(25 years) and till today liked by all our guests. Its gives you you a very warm and friendly feeling. We are certainly very proud of it.

We wish you a very Happy New Year and look forward to your visit next time you are in POM.

Best Regards
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Unusually for a restaurant with a superb view (over the airport to the hills beyond) this establishment also has excellent food. It is something of an oasis in Port Moresby, well worth visiting. Shops in the hotel complex offer good quality local products at reasonable prices. If you have spent too much money already on accommodation and food this is the only place I have come across offering attractively painted PNG fridge magnets!

Hello Tandemflye
Thank you for your comments. Its always very satisfying to know that our guests enjoy our facilities and food and take the time to write to us.
Our pricing is resonable when you compare the services, facilities, location, safety and quality.
As you may know that we have three wings in the hotel and they all have different pricing structure. We now have free internet in our lounges for our Fountain and Dakota wing room guests.
Once again thank you and we wish you you a very Happy New Year.
We look forward to welcoming you again to the Airways.

australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here overnight as my flight was delayed out of Brisbane.

Arrive here late and had to leave early the next day so was unable to use most of the facilities of the hotel, however all that I did see was clean and pleasant.

Breakfast next morning was more than adequate and the shuttle services to the airport were very welcome

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Hello Hommar

Thank you for your comments.
We hope that you can visit us for a longer time when next in POM so you can experience the facilities of the hotel.

Wish you a Very Happy New Year.

SG
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I normally stay in the Dakota rooms but on my last trip they were all booked so I booked myself and a colleague into two Fountain wing rooms however I was initially checked into a room on the first floor by the elevator which was small and did not have any windows at all!
(My colleague who was on his first visit to PNG however had a great room down the corridor with a balcony!)

I cant actually remember staying anywhere in the world in a hotel room without a window and felt a little claustrophobic so I asked if I could be moved which was done without any fuss the next day.

As usual the service across all departments of the hotel, standard of facilities and food is 1st class however I was disappointed the the trio of Cuban musicians were away on tour in Lae or somewhere during my stay, I hope they are back for my next visit as they are a great way to unwind with a cold SP at the end of a hot busy day in POM.

If I do have any criticism of any aspect of the Airways it would be the breakfast which does not offer a large variety when compared to other hotels I have experienced both in PNG and elsewhere.

Overall though, once again I have no hesitation in recommending the Airways to all visitors to Port Moresby whether it be on business or holiday.

Oh and for the record, the comment by the Manager on a previous post that the Airways has been the leading hotel in PNG for 25 years is a bit ambitious (I have been travelling to PNG for 35 years) but certainly for the past 10-15 it has been up there!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Hello Morobe
Thank you for your very honest comments. It is also very nice to know that you read my responses.

Please accept my sincere apology for that room with no window. There are only two rooms in the hotel that do not have any windows. Only as a last resort we use those rooms when we are 100% occupancy. The only thing that is missing in those rooms is a window. We have plans to turn those to rooms into a suite with a large window.
For your information the Cuban Band is back but sadly they will leaving us on the 15 December. We already have another band that we are trying. We also have few other options for entertainment starting early next year.

Your comments regarding breakfast have been taken on board and the Breakfast is now much improved in variety. Some times we also have fresh coconuts on the buffet from our gardens.

We feel that we have been here for the past 25 years leading the hospitality indusrty in PNG.

I thank you for your loyalty and custom to Airways and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit. Promise a nice room with a good view.

Very Best Regards
Sushil Gordon

Been to Airways Hotel? Share your experiences!