Airways hotel is an exorbitantly overpriced, semi-upscale hotel whose main reason for existence is its proximity to the airport. It's a popular place for people to stay when overnighting for a flight, I would guess average stay is about 1-2 nights. We stayed here twice for 1 night each as we passed through Port Moresby. While it's nice to have a quality hotel so close to the airport, the prices here are really out of line, even more so than the rest of Port Moresby which is already extreme. I mean not only the room accommodations which were quite average, but the restaurant and bar and services as well. I don't mean to dog it, our stays here were good, just not that good.
LOCATION - The hotel is located just a few minutes from the airport, and they offer a free shuttle service in comfortable vehicles, but the service is far from reliable. When we arrived, they weren't there to pick us up, we had to call the hotel and wait for them to come. Another time, as we were leaving to the airport, the driver took off 10 minutes before our pre-arranged departure time WITH OUR BAGS IN HIS VEHICLE, with other guests and left us stranded. We couldn't take another shuttle because he had our bags. What a security breach too. He took about 40 minutes to come back and if our flight wasn't delayed we would have missed it. There are no taxis available at the hotel, only their two shuttle vehicles, and having the hotel call a taxi proved futile. We had to go to the airport and take a taxi from there into town.
ROOMS - Our first room was a fountain room, which they "upgraded" us but we got none of perks of the fountain room (club lounge etc), only the smaller room. Quite the upgrade. Very small, cramped and pretty basic, not at all impressed. The second room they really did upgrade us to a larger room and it was actually pretty nice, though the list price is exorbitant. Pillows weren't comfortable but the beds were. Nice TV, and a few channels.
BUSINESS - I would not stay here for business again. There was a small desk for working, but the wi-fi is exorbitantly expensive, and double and triple charges you - I paid for 320 Mb which I apparently used up in an hour. Then it asks for a new login every page you visit so you can't get anything done. You can't do any of this from your room either, you have to buy a card fro the inhouse store, which of course is not 24 hours so if you want internet at night, too bad. Run out of MB and you have to buy another one. The prices are way high, super inconvenient, we spent a fortune here on internet, what a rip. Get a plan from digicel instead.
FOOD - There are two restaurants - Bacchus, which is a fine dining restaurant, was closed the only night we were there so we didn't get to try it. The poolside restaurant is very expensive for what it is, but cozy enough to hang out at. The food was a mix - half good and half we sent back for being inedible. Breakfast is like $35.00 for a small buffet, not worth a fraction of that. The only thing you can get is fried eggs beyond the usual buffet things. I asked even for scrambled eggs and the guy argued with me because there were already cold scrambled eggs in the buffet. Some of the wait staff are really nice, some are not, and all are very slow and inattentive.
SERVICE - Except for a few at the restaurant the staff was quite nice, and when we came back the second time they all remembered us and waved to us and that was really nice.
This hotel is better than probably all the others in Port Moresby (though we liked the rooms more at Ela Beach and they were a lot less expensive), but that's more due to lack of competition than anything else. It's a pretty nice ambience to be there, and it's a reprieve from Port Moresby, but the prices are out of line, the internet beyond frustrating, the rooms average, and the shuttle unreliable, so it's hard to give it more than average - even if for PNG it's exceptional.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for your views.
May I respond to your comments.
1. I disagree that our main reason for existence is our proximity to the airport. Our main clientele is business travelers and not overnight waiting for a flight.
2. We have a fleet of two mini vans and three luxury cars. We do not have a taxi ramp at the hotel as we provide free transport to and fro from the Airport and in many cases to the city. I apologise for the delay caused however it has to be an isolated incident as this has never happened before.
3. We get great reviews about our rooms and especially for our beds and pillows. We offer 4 pillows in each room and more on request. In Dakota room we also have a pillow menu that has over 6 different pillow selections including an aroma pillow for a good night sleep.
4. In PNG internet is expensive and we allocate more Mb on a card as this is a service rather than a profit making excersie and it is not a rip. Our fountain Lounge, and the other two Dakota Lounges have free internet for all our guests 24 hours a day. We are also working at some other hot spots around the hotel for our guest comfort.
5. We only use good quality products and we do not believe our prices are high when you compare the prices in Port Moresby Hotels and Restaurants. We have local and hotel guests frequently visit our four FB outlets, Bacchus, Vue, Deli KC AND 7Cs and we receieve many good comments on our food and service on daily basis. Sometimes our regular guests like to book the whole restaurant for thier guests and we can only oblige.
We know that we offer a quality product and services for our guest's comfort.
Again thank you for your comments!
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.