“Best in POM” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Airways Hotel

Save Saved
You added Airways Hotel to your Saves list
Airways Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jacksons Parade | Jacksons International Airport, Port Moresby 121, Papua New Guinea   |
Special Rate
Business Advantage
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Port Moresby
Cebu Island, Philippines
“Best in POM”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This place is a welcome oasis when in Port Moresby. Stayed in a Dakota Jnr Suite (still unclear why it's called a suite) which is your typical bog-standard hotel room. About 4-star in terms of room facilities. Very limited selection of TV channels and the room WiFi internet is patchy and slow. although this is pretty normal in PNG. The internet connection seems to improve considerably when in the main restaurant.

Where the hotel really shines though is in the architecture and grounds. Overlooking the airport, it is easy to spend time in the restaurant dreaming about far away places while watching planes come and go. The food is in abundance and generally up to 4 -> 5 star international standards. In particular I would recommend KC Deli.

Also of particular note and quality is the live entertainment. I stayed at the hotel for 2 weeks and during this time enjoyed 2 live acts, both fronted by extremely talented females singers. The choice and decision by the hotel to put on live performances in this way is excellent and made me want to spend more time in the restaurant.

Make sure if you stay, that you try the Bacchus Bar over in the Dakota wing of the property. You might be surprised who you bump into while there!

The gym and tennis courts are also of a high standard and will satisfy any overseas traveler for variety of equipment.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay here while on business in Port Moresby and would definitely recommend this property if you are planning on doing the same.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Hello Duge

Thank you for your custom and your comments. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Airways and give your recommendation to future travellers.

Our apologies that our junior suite did not please you. The bedroom. lounge room and the study area are designed to give our guests the freedom to work from their room should they wish to do so. We have further looked into our speed of WiFi and now confident that it is at appropirate level. As you may that we now have free internet in our Fountain and Dakota wing lounges 24 hours. Thnak you for pointing this out to us.

The HAVABA. bar in Bacchus is been there since day one(25 years) and till today liked by all our guests. Its gives you you a very warm and friendly feeling. We are certainly very proud of it.

We wish you a very Happy New Year and look forward to your visit next time you are in POM.

Best Regards
Sushil Gordon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Unusually for a restaurant with a superb view (over the airport to the hills beyond) this establishment also has excellent food. It is something of an oasis in Port Moresby, well worth visiting. Shops in the hotel complex offer good quality local products at reasonable prices. If you have spent too much money already on accommodation and food this is the only place I have come across offering attractively painted PNG fridge magnets!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello Tandemflye
Thank you for your comments. Its always very satisfying to know that our guests enjoy our facilities and food and take the time to write to us.
Our pricing is resonable when you compare the services, facilities, location, safety and quality.
As you may know that we have three wings in the hotel and they all have different pricing structure. We now have free internet in our lounges for our Fountain and Dakota wing room guests.
Once again thank you and we wish you you a very Happy New Year.
We look forward to welcoming you again to the Airways.

australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here overnight as my flight was delayed out of Brisbane.

Arrive here late and had to leave early the next day so was unable to use most of the facilities of the hotel, however all that I did see was clean and pleasant.

Breakfast next morning was more than adequate and the shuttle services to the airport were very welcome

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Hello Hommar

Thank you for your comments.
We hope that you can visit us for a longer time when next in POM so you can experience the facilities of the hotel.

Wish you a Very Happy New Year.

SG
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I normally stay in the Dakota rooms but on my last trip they were all booked so I booked myself and a colleague into two Fountain wing rooms however I was initially checked into a room on the first floor by the elevator which was small and did not have any windows at all!
(My colleague who was on his first visit to PNG however had a great room down the corridor with a balcony!)

I cant actually remember staying anywhere in the world in a hotel room without a window and felt a little claustrophobic so I asked if I could be moved which was done without any fuss the next day.

As usual the service across all departments of the hotel, standard of facilities and food is 1st class however I was disappointed the the trio of Cuban musicians were away on tour in Lae or somewhere during my stay, I hope they are back for my next visit as they are a great way to unwind with a cold SP at the end of a hot busy day in POM.

If I do have any criticism of any aspect of the Airways it would be the breakfast which does not offer a large variety when compared to other hotels I have experienced both in PNG and elsewhere.

Overall though, once again I have no hesitation in recommending the Airways to all visitors to Port Moresby whether it be on business or holiday.

Oh and for the record, the comment by the Manager on a previous post that the Airways has been the leading hotel in PNG for 25 years is a bit ambitious (I have been travelling to PNG for 35 years) but certainly for the past 10-15 it has been up there!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Hello Morobe
Thank you for your very honest comments. It is also very nice to know that you read my responses.

Please accept my sincere apology for that room with no window. There are only two rooms in the hotel that do not have any windows. Only as a last resort we use those rooms when we are 100% occupancy. The only thing that is missing in those rooms is a window. We have plans to turn those to rooms into a suite with a large window.
For your information the Cuban Band is back but sadly they will leaving us on the 15 December. We already have another band that we are trying. We also have few other options for entertainment starting early next year.

Your comments regarding breakfast have been taken on board and the Breakfast is now much improved in variety. Some times we also have fresh coconuts on the buffet from our gardens.

We feel that we have been here for the past 25 years leading the hospitality indusrty in PNG.

I thank you for your loyalty and custom to Airways and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit. Promise a nice room with a good view.

Very Best Regards
PATTAYA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at Airways hotel in Port Morsby back in May this year,the hotel was booked in advance for me by the company i was working for at that point.On arrival the hotel had no record of my booking and i was forced to pay on my credit card prior to being given a room. This was my first experience of the high costs of hotel accomodation in PNG generally and the Airways in particular.
Room was nice enough;i had no computer so the internet was not an issue,hotel grounds were nice.That said the paths are steep so not ideal if you have problems walking.I was disappointed that after paying for a room you still need to pay extra to use the gym?
Food in the restaurant near the swimming pool was nice enough but again not cheap and i would not say to a standard that justifies the price.
Basically whilst the hotel is nice and secure;well situated for the airport,that's probably the only reason to stay there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Hello MikeHanlon
Thank you for your comments from your stay back in MAY 2012. We recall your booking and yes there was a communication breakdown as a result we could not locate your booking. For that I do apologise for the inconvenience. Like any other hotel in the world guests who want to stay at the hotel are required to pay for their accommodation and extras eitehr by credit card, cash or by company charge back authorisation. Your room that was booked was in Bacchus Wing and we know that the rate that you were on was at par with the market. We also have Fountain Wing and Dakota Wing for our guests comfort. You are right, we do not compete with two or three star properties for rates that may be lower.

The hotel walkways are designed that you can have easy stroll and yes some are steep if you choose to go up rather than down. We have listened to our customers feedback and as of July this year the Gym is included with all room rates even Bacchus Wing rooms.

We know our food is well priced when you compare the small cafes and other hotels in Port Moresby Our quality of food is good as we use products from certified local and international suppliers. Our lunch specials start from k30 and our Wagyu steaks are only k99 including 10% GST.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Regards
Palm Beach, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Port Moresby is an experience.It s shanties are on par with Soweto or India.Airways provides an oasis away from the harsh realities of life in Moresby. The Dakota wing is sprinkled with a number of small intimate lounges reminiscent of old colonial times. A butler discreetly stands by to serve complimentary tea,coffee,pastries,tapas and Martinis after 4pm. Free Internet access at The Sound Lounge. It s a lovely resort for families. Staff are very friendly & helpful with the exception of Reception!

Room Tip: ask for a room close to The Sound Lounge on the second floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Hello OSMP
Thank you for your comments on our Dakota wing and also our staff and service.
Every comment and review gives us the opportunity to look at our operations and make it even more seemless for the comfort of our guests.
Our Fountain Wing Lounge also has free internet and also the Martini hours.
Its refreshing to know that you can move around the hotel that has many relaxing places within and if you want to take a stroll, you can on the garden tracks of the Airways compound in safe and well protected envoirnment. As you may know that it is not possible in some hotels in Port Moresby. Some points have breathtaking views of The Bootless Bay and the Mountain Ranges.
I have made a note of your comment regarding the reception staff and have addressed that. I do apologise for the inconvinence. Let me assure you that it was an isolated incident.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the secret room.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon at the Airways.

1,681 helpful votes 1,681 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Airways hotel is an exorbitantly overpriced, semi-upscale hotel whose main reason for existence is its proximity to the airport. It's a popular place for people to stay when overnighting for a flight, I would guess average stay is about 1-2 nights. We stayed here twice for 1 night each as we passed through Port Moresby. While it's nice to have a quality hotel so close to the airport, the prices here are really out of line, even more so than the rest of Port Moresby which is already extreme. I mean not only the room accommodations which were quite average, but the restaurant and bar and services as well. I don't mean to dog it, our stays here were good, just not that good.

LOCATION - The hotel is located just a few minutes from the airport, and they offer a free shuttle service in comfortable vehicles, but the service is far from reliable. When we arrived, they weren't there to pick us up, we had to call the hotel and wait for them to come. Another time, as we were leaving to the airport, the driver took off 10 minutes before our pre-arranged departure time WITH OUR BAGS IN HIS VEHICLE, with other guests and left us stranded. We couldn't take another shuttle because he had our bags. What a security breach too. He took about 40 minutes to come back and if our flight wasn't delayed we would have missed it. There are no taxis available at the hotel, only their two shuttle vehicles, and having the hotel call a taxi proved futile. We had to go to the airport and take a taxi from there into town.

ROOMS - Our first room was a fountain room, which they "upgraded" us but we got none of perks of the fountain room (club lounge etc), only the smaller room. Quite the upgrade. Very small, cramped and pretty basic, not at all impressed. The second room they really did upgrade us to a larger room and it was actually pretty nice, though the list price is exorbitant. Pillows weren't comfortable but the beds were. Nice TV, and a few channels.

BUSINESS - I would not stay here for business again. There was a small desk for working, but the wi-fi is exorbitantly expensive, and double and triple charges you - I paid for 320 Mb which I apparently used up in an hour. Then it asks for a new login every page you visit so you can't get anything done. You can't do any of this from your room either, you have to buy a card fro the inhouse store, which of course is not 24 hours so if you want internet at night, too bad. Run out of MB and you have to buy another one. The prices are way high, super inconvenient, we spent a fortune here on internet, what a rip. Get a plan from digicel instead.

FOOD - There are two restaurants - Bacchus, which is a fine dining restaurant, was closed the only night we were there so we didn't get to try it. The poolside restaurant is very expensive for what it is, but cozy enough to hang out at. The food was a mix - half good and half we sent back for being inedible. Breakfast is like $35.00 for a small buffet, not worth a fraction of that. The only thing you can get is fried eggs beyond the usual buffet things. I asked even for scrambled eggs and the guy argued with me because there were already cold scrambled eggs in the buffet. Some of the wait staff are really nice, some are not, and all are very slow and inattentive.

SERVICE - Except for a few at the restaurant the staff was quite nice, and when we came back the second time they all remembered us and waved to us and that was really nice.

This hotel is better than probably all the others in Port Moresby (though we liked the rooms more at Ela Beach and they were a lot less expensive), but that's more due to lack of competition than anything else. It's a pretty nice ambience to be there, and it's a reprieve from Port Moresby, but the prices are out of line, the internet beyond frustrating, the rooms average, and the shuttle unreliable, so it's hard to give it more than average - even if for PNG it's exceptional.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sushil G, General Manager at Airways Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Hello Johan&Sandra
Thank you for your views.
May I respond to your comments.
1. I disagree that our main reason for existence is our proximity to the airport. Our main clientele is business travelers and not overnight waiting for a flight.
2. We have a fleet of two mini vans and three luxury cars. We do not have a taxi ramp at the hotel as we provide free transport to and fro from the Airport and in many cases to the city. I apologise for the delay caused however it has to be an isolated incident as this has never happened before.
3. We get great reviews about our rooms and especially for our beds and pillows. We offer 4 pillows in each room and more on request. In Dakota room we also have a pillow menu that has over 6 different pillow selections including an aroma pillow for a good night sleep.
4. In PNG internet is expensive and we allocate more Mb on a card as this is a service rather than a profit making excersie and it is not a rip. Our fountain Lounge, and the other two Dakota Lounges have free internet for all our guests 24 hours a day. We are also working at some other hot spots around the hotel for our guest comfort.
5. We only use good quality products and we do not believe our prices are high when you compare the prices in Port Moresby Hotels and Restaurants. We have local and hotel guests frequently visit our four FB outlets, Bacchus, Vue, Deli KC AND 7Cs and we receieve many good comments on our food and service on daily basis. Sometimes our regular guests like to book the whole restaurant for thier guests and we can only oblige.

We know that we offer a quality product and services for our guest's comfort.

Again thank you for your comments!

Regards
Sushil Gordon

Been to Airways Hotel? Share your experiences!