“Disappointing.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Port Moresby

You added Holiday Inn Port Moresby to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Port Moresby
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waigani Drive and Wards Road, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Port Moresby
USA
“Disappointing.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

As part of the Holiday Inn hotel brand, I honestly expected better. I was frustrated with the upper level staff, who promised me that a situation with billing and rates would be resolved, and in the end, no changes were made. If you make a promised change, then you should keep your promise. Also, one of the lifts was broken while we were there – no appearance was made of trying to fix it. The lines to take the elevator where quite long, especially at high traffic times – in the morning as people are leaving and as people came back at the end of the day. What made it worse is that hotel staff would take the elevator at peak times, even if they were just going up and down one floor. My room lacked hot water half of the mornings, and the water temperature varied from cold to scalding, even if you didn’t touch the faucet. All in all, a very disappointing stay. The one good note is that the serving staff were really nice, even if they could not solve your problem. The beds were decent, and having a laundry for guests was a good touch, and the gym was also nice – with lots of treadmills and weights. However, on our way back through POM, we are going to try a different hotel. It can’t be worse.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
TimP2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear frenchita23,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to us. I a disappointed to read that an issue relating to billing was not handled as required by the senior team members. If I am able to assist with this, I would be happy to do so. Please e-mail me directly on tim.pollock@ihg.com.

Unfortunately the elevator breakdown required a part to be brought in from overseas which resulted in an extended delay. My apologies for this and I note your point re staff use of the lift.

We are currently trying to rectify the water issue with the installation of new pumps. We thought we had this sorted out but obviously we still have further work to do.

Again, thank you for your comments and as noted above I would be happy to assist you directly should you wish.

Regards

Tim Pollock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Port Moresby, National Capital, Papua New Guinea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Very very expensive, terrible food and the carpets in all the function rooms are in dire need of changing! Possibly one of the worst hotels in Port Moresby! The only upsides are the comfy pillows, very friendly staff and the complementary breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
TimP2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Wavz_03,

Thanks for your feedback. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the concerns you have.

Please feel free to contact me on tim.pollock@ihg.com

Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My father and I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn and found it to suit our purposes for a stopover before and after trekking the Kokoda Track. The room was a good size, with two queen-sized beds. I was impressed that there were a range of firm and soft pillows on each bed (labelled as such). The bathroom left a little to be desired, with mildew on the ceiling above the shower. We returned from our trek after days without access to a shower or flushing toilet, only to have to wait an extra hour as a workman was fixing our toilet plumbing. There was Internet access through a business centre, though this was fairly expensive at 1 kina per minute. The coffee and food in the restaurant was of good quality, however there was a fairly lengthy wait for the rib eye. The pool and grounds were pleasant and the staff helpful. The outdoor bar was unable to serve a piña colada, which I was surprised about. There was also quite a bit of noise from a family in the room above us on one of the nights, so evidently the sound proofing is not amazing. Although we set an alarm, the wake up call we had requested did not eventuate, which coukd have made things interesting! There is security staff at the gate at the entry of the hotel, who helpfully kept an eye on us as we went across the road to purchase artwork from some locals. We were able to leave luggage at the hotel and the hotel staff kept our valuables in the hotel safe. There is a convenience store in the hotel, so I was able to send a postcard and get some local plunger coffee as a gift. There is a day spa that we didn't use, but those returning from treks might have been interested in a massage! The lobby has an ANZ ATM and we were able to exchange some currency at reception. A fantastic service for trekkers is that for a fee, the hotel will steam clean hiking books and backpacks so they're not confiscated when returning to Australia. There is also a free washing machine and dryer, great for not bringing home The Great Unwashed bundle of damp clothing. All in all, this hotel suited our needs. Any place with a flushing toilet and hot shower is luxury after being in the jungle for 9 days

Room Tip: Check the security of the sliding doors outside, as some of my fellow travellers found that their ro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Stargirl201,

Many thanks for taking the time to provide some feedback on your recent stay with us. I hope that you enjoyed your Kokoda Track experience!
I note your comments regarding the bathrooms. It is our intention to have all of the garden wing bathrooms refurbished before the end of the year. I have spoken to the houskeeping team about the importance of batroom cleanliness also. I apologise for the delay in getting your room prepared for you, I can appreciate how keen people coming off the track are to have some basic facilities! The internet pricing in PNG remain very expensive, however we are hopeful that a recent reduction in wholesale prices will be passed on to us so that we in turn can reduce the costs to customers. It is disappointing to read that you could not get a Pina Colada at the bar. I will take this up with our F&B trainer to ensure we get cocktail training on the training calendar. Thanks for providing the positive feedbak on a number of areas of the hotel. I will ensure your feedback is passed on to the team at our upcoming staff meeting.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I only stayed 1 night as I was flying onto Lae.The hotel is close to the airport and has a free shuttle service
The rooms are clean with all facilities Very nice gardens and a nice pool and bar area The restaurant is also very good.The only down side is the cost very expensive but then all of PNG is

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Navyfenton,

Thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay. Early in 2014 we will open our Holiday Inn Express product which will be ideal for short stay clients just looking for an overnight bed. The price for this will be less than the current property nd I am sure will suit your needs perfectly.

Suva, Fiji
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was the best hotel room I've enjoyed in a long time. Perfect for my needs. Nicely appointed, lots of space, a huge desk, appliances that actually work, and the most comfortable bed I think I've ever slept in. Even the pillows were great, and who notices pillows? Ok, it's expensive, but this is modern day PNG. Everything is overpriced. For a business hotel, it's excellent. The restaurant and front desk staff were very professional and genuinely friendly. This was my first trip to Port Moresby in 4 years, and the level of service and the standard of rooms has definitely improved. In a city where security is a concern, I felt very secure here. I would definitely stay here again, unless prices go up even more.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the pool are nice. Opposite rooms are facing construction sites.
Dear Vatuvia,

Many thanks for posting your review of your recent stay at Holiday Inn Port Moresby. It is always pleasing to recveive some positive feedback, especially in terms of the service you experienced throughout your stay. The construction projects around the property are likely to continue until early 2014 following which we will have some fantastic new rooms available. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

Arlington, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

When you travel half way around the world for work it’s a draining experience and all you want of your hotel is to be a haven, especially in a city where travel at night is dangerous. Now I feel trapped at this weird rip-off Holiday Inn and wish I had chosen almost any other hotel.
First of all I understand that the Holiday Inn Port Moresby is in a developing nation and I was braced for a bit of a substandard experience. I knew I would be paying around $300/night but didn’t expect so many things to be wrong with the overall experience.
I was relieved that the room was decent and livable – a 2.5 out of 5. The rest of the hotel is a 2 of 5. The REAL problem is the service – not the staff, all of whom seem sweet if timid, but the service that they ultimately deliver which is REALLY BAD.
I start by saying I don’t blame the staff for these problems but I DO 100% blame the managers who have chosen not to adequately train them. Whoever manages this Holiday Inn either does not have the training themselves to manage this hotel OR they’re being deprived of even minimal resources by the hotel’s ownership – I suspect a bit of both. The end result is staff who seem to not have any idea how to do really simple things like remember orders, bring drinks, handle bags, or handle food complaint issues. The staff also seems almost afraid of the guests which creates a very strange vibe and makes them NOT do things like ask you if you want your check, a refill on tea, or even make eye contact. It’s like they’re afraid and therefore avoid the guests. You basically have to wave somebody down EVERY time you want something and then wait a crazy amount of time for it – 20 minutes for the check every time.
EXAMPLE: A burger – 45 minutes. A replacement meal for the inedible burger (a first for me as I’ll eat pretty much any burger), another 45 minutes. When I sent the burger back and said, “maybe beef tastes like this (like spoiled meat) on the other side of the planet but I really can’t eat it – sorry.” The server clearly had never been trained on this and simply stared at me with her mouth open like she wanted me to solve this for her. When I suggested she let me talk to the manager, the manager’s solution was to have the cook make me another burger. The first one literally made me gag it smelled and tasted so bad. She didn’t even ask me if this is what I wanted, she simply ordered another burger for me and I found out about it after she put in the order. The replacement pizza I got after another 45 minutes was edible but I would never again pay for it – literally any frozen pizza I’ve ever had was better.
EXAMPLE2: I see trash and debris around this place and other guests being ignored but there are many staff around but the staff simply keep their eyes straight ahead like zombies and ignore the guests and other things that could be tended to in seconds if they cared or were trained to. I sat at a table by the pool early one morning next to a table that had trash on it clearly from the night before. I watched and 20+ staff members walked right by this table over the 90 minutes I was there.
… so this place is weird and not at all relaxing which I really need now – there are more things seriously wrong but the other reviews spell them out (tatty pool, bad neighborhood, construction, etc). It’s very hard to find edible food here and I feel pretty much trapped for a week paying $300/night – walking delicately through the minefield of bad food choices and timid, helpless staff. I guess I’ll hide in my OK room and eat granola bars. Shame on you IHG.
Before posting this I read a lot of the review and responses posted by IHG. All the reviews call out the same issues and the management keeps writing back the same responses: that they care and guest satisfaction is a priority. BS, IHG. Actions speak louder than words. This should be an easy fix. I chose Holiday Inn in part out of loyalty to the brand because my wife has been an IHG employee for 6 years and is proud of the brand. She would be embarrassed if she experienced this place.

-PC

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
TimP2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Pete C,

Thank you for providing a review regarding your stay with us at Holiday Inn Port Moresby.

It is extremely disapointing to read that you had constant issues with the service at the hotel. It is especially sad to read that when an issue did arise it was not dealt with in a manner with which it should have been. I note your comment regarding the training of the staff, and whilst your expreiences show we have issues, I would like to assure you that we provide a huge amount of training to all members of the team. We have most recently been focusing on service recovery when an issue arises and this is what makes your comments even more disappointing. The lack of attention from team members throughout your visit and their tunnel vision will be discussed as an area requiring improvement at our monthly staff meeting this week.

Pete C, if you are still in Port Moresby, I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you personally to discuss the items you have raised, or I am happy to discuss with you via e-mail.
tim.pollock@ihg.com

Yours sincerely

General manager
Bucks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Our room was a King size Tower and was excellent - large, clean, hot water etc. Staff were excellent, friendly professional and so on. Location was good for visiting Parliament House, the museum etc. Excellent breakfast - average evening meal. However, hotel was very expensive for what you get. But what spoiled it was the building site next to the tower block and overlooking the hotel pool. I wouldn't go back until this is finished as it is noisy and intrusive. And the pool area was neglected, few sun loungers, no mattresses etc and was like a railway station with staff using it as a cut through (between hotels?). Again not very private or relaxing and overlooked by the building site. Also we were advised to get a shuttle to airport WAY too early for a domestic flight - WHY???

Room Tip: King sized Tower Room was good but view of building sight - wait until its finished!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TimP2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port Moresby, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear MazdaGirlBucks, Thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I note your comments regarding the building site and certainly appreciate that it is intruding on our guests. We are aiming to have one of the new towers finished in September/October and the second tower at the end of the year. We are also currently rebuilding the staff facilities which is why you saw som many staff moving from once side of the complex to the other. This will not occur once the new facilities are open. I also note you comment regarding the pool area. We are about to undertake a re-development of this area which includes extensive landscaping and replacement of all furniture. We would like to think that by the end of the year we will be back to a "normal" hotel with no more building taking place!!

Again thanks for your feedback and we can hopefully welocme you back in the future.

Tim Pollock

Been to Holiday Inn Port Moresby? Share your experiences!