“not what it once was” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Port Moresby

You added Crowne Plaza Port Moresby to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Port Moresby
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Hunter & Douglas St, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Port Moresby
Canberra, Australia
“not what it once was”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I can not believe this Hotel carries the very good name of Crowne Plaza our bookings were stuffed up( so glad I took my iPad to prove it had been booked and payed for) room was dirty and smelt of mould we had no towels. food was average but I must admit the staff were very friendly.This Hotel is in need of a serious update to bring it in line with Crowne Plaza standards.

Room Tip: Stay at Airways
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the level of service you received. It is definitely not acceptable and your feedback has been shared with the team.

If you do choose to stay with us again I ask that you contact me personally so that I can ensure a great experience.

David Bowen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed at the Crowne due to domestic flight cancellation, so was at the expense of Air Niugini, perhaps this had a bearing on how ordinary we found it. Our room was clean, and so was the bathroom, but unfortunately an unpleasant musty smell in the room. The bed was very comfortable, but the bed covering (bedspread) was not looking so clean. Nothing at all in minibar and after 4 calls to try and get some bottled water we gave up. We ate in the restaurant which was pleasant enough and food was of reasonable standard.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, December 4, 2012

Please accept my apologies for the level of service you received. It is defiantly not our usual standard and I have personally spoken to our Food and Beverage Manager and Executive Housekeeper to prevent it occurring again.

We were very pleased to hear you found our rooms and bathroom clean and beds comfortable.

Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I have had a 47 year association with PNG & I've seen this hotel from it's birth (under a different brand) & I've stayed here many times, had many a fine meal and enjoyed the company of friends at numerous functions. I stayed here again this month on a visit to Port Moresby, and while the staff did their best to make my stay as comfortable as possible (for which I say "thank you"), the Crown Plaza is now a rather tired old lady, resting on her laurels of a bygone era. The hotel needs refurbishing, from top to bottom. Gone are those halcyon days, with average 80% occupancy and little competition. It's time for this hotel to re-invent itself!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear 255069GeeBee,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Crowne Plaza around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations regarding being dated. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ballston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I left the Grand Papua Hotel and moved over to the Crowne Plaza because not only could they provide me internet service, they gave me access to the executive lounge. It was a great deal. The internet worked fine and I was happy on that score.

The staff were very responsive and took great care of me. The breakfast good, the bacon among the best I have ever tasted. Also, the fresh scones were to die for. In the lounge, evening happy hour, wine was open pour, hard liquor on request. The grazing was good (not great, but pretty good), and one could easily make dinner of it. My room was clean, the bed excellent, and I slept well. There is a nice pool and a small spa if you want some very competent pampering. It is not a new hotel. If you have to have shiny, go next door. But for service orientation, good dining, and friendly staff, choose the CP.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, November 22, 2012

We were very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular liked our Club Lounge and breakfast facilities.

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our team. They work extremely hard every day to ensure our guests have a great experience when staying at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby and they will take a lot of inspiration from your feedback.

Hong KOng
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

They call the country land of the unexpected and that's OK, but if you want to experience the hotel of excuses try this property if you want to believe in incompetence, excuses and absolutely the worst service in the world. When you ask for something expect fairy tales and happy horse.
I have stayed here several times and it's always the same, of course I'm forever hopeful that it's changed it hasn't. Management never replies and even a simple request for some ice takes 4 requests and then the usual answer is there is no ice left. Go down to the lounge and you will see ice. Bad Food, Bad service and Bad attitude shrouded by polite incompetence.

Room Tip: If you can get a room less than 400 consider yourself lucky
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
David B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, November 9, 2012

Please accept my sincere apologies for level of service you received. It is definitely not the usual level of service here at the hotel.

I have personally reviewed your feedback with our team to ensure the issues you have highlighted are rectified.

I have also sent you a personal message with my contact details for you to contact me when you next travel to Port Moresby so that I can ensure you have a great stay if you choose to stay with us.

Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Enjoyed a 3-night stay. Made my booking online and found myself on 6th floor which entitled me to club amenities (private lounge, gym, etc) although I did not have the time to use them. Room was a good size (two queen-size beds) , modern and very clean and had a good view of the city centre. TV reception was good and room was air conditioned. Extras included security safe and ironing board. Only niggle was lateness of room servicing (not till late afternoon on one of the days). A feature I much appreciated was the elevator security card access to the guest room areas. In fact the standard of general security at the Crown was very reassuring (a must in Port Moresby). Main restaurant staff very welcoming, menu was varied and good value buffet meals were on offer. All staff encountered were very polite, friendly and helpful. One area I found could be improved was the business centre. The computers provided were tired and very very slow. In the end I gave up trying to use the internet. Any regular traveller to Port Moresby will understand that exorbitant prices and indifferent service are par for the course. But on this occasion I can say I enjoyed my stay at the Crown Plaza and will return there on my next business trip.

Room Tip: I only tried one room and it was very good: very clean, well furnished, quiet with good city view a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
TimPollockGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Kiwi_Wanderer, Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby. I am pleased to read that we met most of your expectations. I note your points regarding the lateness of room servicing and the less than satisfactory products in the business centre. In regard to the room servicing, when you are next staying with us , please advise us of your preferred servicing time and we will ensure your room is done at that time. The business centre products will be rectified over the coming months. Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Tim Pollock
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Over the years I must have stayed in this hotel 20 plus times, from its genesis as the Port Moresby Travelodge through to the present day. For years, it was the only good hotel in the capital, and played hosts to Queen Elizabeth, Presidents, Prime Ministers and the rest. It has a good history.

Alas!!!! no more

I was booked in a club floor for a mere PGK850 per night (US$400)..I know all hotels in PNG are outrageous but, my goodness you could get a suite at the Intercontinental for that price.
After a long, all night flight. I was shown into a room on the 7th floor, which had the most revolting smell coming, I think, from the carpet. There were no slippers, or bath robe, and no mini bar. Its saving grace was a really comfortable queen size bed, but the choice of covering was a bed sheet (unironed) or a very heavy bed spread (and goodness knows who had been sleeping on that before!). No duna, no covering.

The window overlooked the street and an all night betel nut market with accompanying noise. Not nice.

The club lounge, however, was pleasant and had a reasonable selection of drinks. The charming club manageress who looked after the lounge remembered me from 20 years previously. I've grown older, but she is still a petite lovely lady.

My second day had not improved the stench and I requested a change of room. The new room on the 9th floor was far more satisfactory...with full mini bar,. but still no slippers. One would have expected a reasonably coffee percolator with real PNG coffee, but not to be.

A redeeming feature of the hotel, and indeed all of Port Moresby is the cable TV system which luxuriates in 200 plus channels.,I guess residents need such entertainment. There is not much else to do!

Breakfast for club floor guests was in the main restaurant, and was quite satisfactory. However, over the five days I was there, the hot food selection never varied.

I had booked a taxi for the second morning, but it did not arrive. It turned out that no booking had been made..I was quite late for an important appointment which did not improve my mood of disappointment.

The club lounge has internet connection, but a password is needed to activate the computers. On a sunday, when the lounge was unattended, I requested, and then waited for 30 minutes before a staff member came and fed in the magic password. It should never happen.

The swimming pool is small but pleasant, but at the time I wanted to go for a swim, the deck was full of politicians and supporters, and I felt very uncomfortable.

I am a platinum ambassador member of IHG and I filled out a comment card to the GM listing all these points of concern. However, no reply has been forthcoming. Hence my report on Trip Advisor.

Port Moresby is not for the feint hearted, and one expects the hotels to be a haven of security, relaxation and first class amenities, especially for US$400 a night. Unfortunately the Crowne Plaza lives on its past reputation

Room Tip: overlook the ocean, not the harbour
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear donalddaniels,

Thank you for your detailed comments of what was obviously a less than satisfactory stay at Crowne Plaza Port Moresby. First, please accept my apologies for not responding to your inhouse guest comment card. Unfortunately I did not receive this. It is very disappointing to read that the state of your first room was not up to the Crowne Plaza standard. We are continually striving to provide both a product and service that meets our client requirements and it is obvious from your comments that we failed in a number of areas. The failure to provide slippers, robes and minibar in our executive level rooms is not acceptable and again I sincerely apologise. I note your comments in regards to the bed covering option and am pleased to advise that we will have Dooners in all rooms before the end of the year. We are also in the process of reviewing our breakfast offering for our Executive level guests to ensure we have a rotating menu of Hot food items. Again, thank you for your comments and shen you are next returning to Port Moresby, please do not hesitate to contact me so that I can meet with you personally.

Kind Regards

Tim Pollock
General manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Port Moresby? Share your experiences!