“First timers to PNG” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Port Moresby
Julatten, Australia
“First timers to PNG”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

So this was our first time to PNG. I found this hotel on here and went out finding the best rate I could get. I looked on the web site, then rang the hotel direct who put me on to reservations. Reservations offered me an executive room for around 100 kina less than the website but the Grand Junior Suite for 400 kina more than the website. When I said it was cheaper on the website they offered to match it. I let that call go and rang back the next day and was offered a weekend special rate. When I said I want one of the higher level of rooms they asked me to send an email. Eventually I book the Grand Junior Suite at a slighter lower rate than the website. I also tried calling and emailing for a treatment list for the spa that never came. Lucky for me they had a spot the afternoon I was there and it is defiantly worth it. The staff here are all very friendly and made us feel very welcome, however I do suggest that not everything happens the first time you ask. We had things missing from the minibar, worst of with was milk for tea & coffee. I reported it but it never arrived. I booked the airport transfer for 2.30pm and when I went to check on it, because I felt the need to, they asked to move us to 2.00pm. Not an issue, so we arrive at 2.00pm to be told the van was on it's way back and will be a couple of minutes. We left for the airport at 2.30pm. All in all it is a great hotel, the staff are wonderful it's just a couple of little things that need fine tuning. Would happily return knowing what to expect next time.

Room Tip: Pay that bit extra for the executive lounge access. We used it a lot in our short trip.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Dear Claire B

I see you enjoyed our Executive Lounge which is very popular and I am glad to hear you find our staff very friendly on your first trip to PNG? Although it is disappointing we failed well short of what we capable of, we are addressing these issues you mentioned?

We have addressed our miscommunication of what we offer direct and what our on line channels advertise? We have also implemented and upgraded preventative measures in housekeeping and courtesy bus transfers departments.

Claire B we endeavour to continually provide the highest standards in PNG.

My team and I hope we see you return to PNG and the Grand Papua hotel in the near future
Sincerely – Lukim yu

Alex Wilson and team

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

I spent a week in Port Moresby and this place will wear you out. I will give staff their due credit, they try. My room was on the 8th floor and it was like a wind tunnel, so I contacted the front desk to have maintenance come look at the sliding doors. After three calls to the front desk I had to go find someone who might be able to look at the problem door. So I went to the front desk and had the "Duty Manager" come look at the door. He said he was not notified of the problem by his staff of my phone calls...blah blah blah. For $400 @ night someone should be running to my room to fix the problem but it doesn't work here. The final repair was toilet paper in the seams of the door until whenever someone gets it fixed. I was there for two more nights and the door was the same, see attached photos.

Check out took nearly 40 minutes as I reviewed and refused numerous charges. Glad I did it the night before. The shuttle bus was 20 minutes late departing and they had to get another van from the Ela Beach property to run it...considering this was organized the night before, how does a shuttle bus leave 20 minutes late? The Executive Lounge has a 1 hour limit and consists of beer and wine. Hard liquor is $10 a drink. The food is doled out by a hostess, not available as a small buffet style. You get like one prawn at a time...

The gym is possibly the best part of the stay. 2 of 3 treadmills worked so that was good and it does have a nice view. Perhaps I expect too much but unfortunatley I can't really say anything positive about this place. I just doesn't seem to flow very well...

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Cooperr61

We note your disappointments and frustrations during the course of your stay at the Grand Papua hotel and we thank you for bringing these issues to our attention?

Cooperr61 we have taken preventative measures and action what was required to stop where we failed in and we will continue actioning whatever it takes to continually improve.

We acknowledge that Papua New Guinea and the Grand Papua hotel is expensive compared to other key destinations and corporate hotels hence we endeavour to improve and offer the best value in PNG.

Again thank you and we look forward to your return

Lukim yu

Alex Wilson and staff
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

The Grand Pap is a very nice hotel. It ticks the boxes necessary for a 4 star - but the problem is that it needs some character. The bar is not a hang out for anyone not staying in the hotel. The food is not particularly special. The staff are friendly and welcoming, but given a choice, I would stay elsewhere (and have done so). Which is a pity - because with a bit of character, it would be a great hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Russell4157

I am pleased to hear of your suggestions the Grand Papua hotel needs character and it needs to improve the Bar and Food.
Russell4157, we acknowledge your comments and have implemented actions to resolve these problems.
We endeavour to provide the best value and better offerings in PNG.
We hope you will return soon.

Lukim yu

Alex Wilson and team
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Stayed at the Grand Papua on a one-week business trip. As with all PNG hotels, the prices are very high by standards of most countries, but this hotel is very comfortable. It is new, in a good location with great views, rooms are reasonably sized and comfortable. Hotel has a reasonable and modern gym on the top floor with great views over the Coral Sea. Service and staff are excellent - staff are friendly, efficient and competent.

A couple of minor drawbacks - the land occupied by the hotel is not large meaning they only had room for a very small pool and surrounding area. Just about big enough to get wet, but not much else. And the range of options on the dining menu in the Brasserie is very limited. A week of staying here and you'd crave something new.

Room Tip: Booking an Executive room is normally a good option as this gives access to the Executive Lounge wit...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear MarkD

Thank you so much for the great feedback regarding our Gymnasium, Great views, Location and friendly staff. Our staff say "Thank you and Lukim yu"

MarkD I agree we are limited with the pool but hopefully our other facilities such as the Gymnasium, the tranquil Grand Spa, Sauna on the 15the level and Pool areas are very relaxing.
Although we offer afew different buffets and Roasts most evenings we hope to have a new ala carte menu released very soon in August. Please note on your next stay if there is anything in particular you may want for your dinner let me know?

MarkD thank you as always for your support and great feedback

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Staying here for some time. Staff extremely courteous and friendly. Always welcoming to receive a salute as you drive through the gates to the car park. Exec lounge is lovely although the way it is configured means that it isn't the most social of environments if you want to meet people. However, on the flip side if you want good internet, no chitchat then It is great.

Dear LeaningTowerOfPizza

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the Executive Lounge and our staff being very courteous and friendly.
I also note your suggestions for the Executive Lounge to be more sociable and interactive in its layout - a very positive feedback. I assure you we will look into various options that will accomodate other guests preferences and your suggestions as well.

Again thank you for the feedback and my team and I look forward to your return soon, hopefully catch up on the Executive Lounge.

Franz Josef, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

The hotel is located in central city. Great pick up service from the airport, and great welcoming by a well trained staff at the front desk. The room was immaculate and well design with all amenities expected. Very friendly professional service at the Brasserie restaurant with a great choice of fresh local produce for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A fantastic evening Fiji style buffet with entertainment on Wednesday evening, with delicious "Soul cooked"Fijian dishes. The executive 15th floor offer also a great service, with individual customized breakfast cooked by chef Rodney.
A great hotel choice in Port Moresby.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Charles N

On behalf of our hard working teams I thank you for the great compliments of our services, standards, facilities and our own people (Staff)

I note you enjoy the Fijian Buffet evenings similarly our breakfast in the Brasserie and Executive Lounge. We have alot of work to continually improve on and feedback as yours will help us enjoy and strive further again thank you.

Charles N my team and I look forward to your return soon.

Alex and Team Grand Papua hotel
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Although I've often stayed at the Airways (another excellent hotel) the Grand Papua has a couple of things which the Airways doesn't, which make it stand out, and which will encourage me to at the Grand Papua again. First, the apartment style "executive" rooms are excellent, and allow lots of room for, for example a guest in a roll-away bed, cooking in the private kitchen, and doing your own laundry (always a plus on business trips). Second, it is in Town, and although Town is not great it does offer opportunities to eat out at different places (e.g. Asia Aromas, Waterfront, and other hotels). Third, the Grand Papua has an executive level breakfast room/lounge/business centre which is nice. Fourth, being a multi-storey hotel I felt safe actually leaving my window open at night and letting in some fresh air (air con is great, but tiring after a while!!). Downsides are (a) only one place to eat on the premises, ie the brasserie which is quite expensive and (b) the bathrooms in the rooms are quite small. But overall, I would be very happy to stay there again

Room Tip: Try to stay in executive level rooms if you can, to gain access to the executive club on level 15
Dear Brisbane Traveller

My team and I write to thank you for the great feedback. I am pleased to hear you thoroughly enjoyed our apartment style executive rooms. These rooms are in great demand due to the facilities and services you highlighted such as the kitchenette facilities, own laundry plus the big 2 door fridge.
We totally agree with your feedback in areas for improvements especially in Food and Beverage and we have commenced addressing some of these issues by way of themed buffets, daily specials and lighter snacks in the Bar and there is more to come.

I am very pleased to hear that you also felt safe and secure at the hotel right in the middle of CBD Port Moresby, thank you again.
We all look forward to your return soon

Sincerely and lukim yu
Alex and team Grand Papua hotel

Been to Grand Papua Hotel? Share your experiences!