“First Review” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Port Moresby
Perth Western Australia
“First Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

This will be my first review of the Grand Papua Hotel. I will follow with more as I stay more often here.

The hotel itself is of a very acceptable standard. The rooms and apartments (I have stayed in both) are more than adequate. The front desk staff are very efficient and friendly. The housekeeping services are very good and the quality of linen, towels and supplied toiletries are very good. The beds are some of the most comfortable I have ever slept in, fantastic!
The views from both sides of the hotel are stunning.

To run a hotel of this standard in a developing country like PNG I am sure is no easy task. On a lot of counts it does deliver, it does not on a few others.
The hotel staff are friendly and in the main professional but to be honest if you want "action" on something specific it is a better option to speak to the management.
There is another issue. When checking out originals (or even copies) of room charges are not supplied and you are reliant on your memory to ascertain if the charges are correct.

So where are the main problems?

Internet should be free especially at these prices and given that it is an absolute expected requirement in a hotel aligned to the business traveller.

Unfortunately the restaurant within the hotel is no where near up to standard for what should be expected in an establishment such as this. Inconsistent quality, a sterile atmosphere and overpriced for the quality delivered. A far better option is to have security walk you up to Rapala at Crowne Plaza where the quality is consistent and the prices far more reasonable.

Room Tip: On the harbour side to see things happening! or on the Ela Beach side for views out over the Coral S...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Mr Australasia

Thank you for your feedback and compliments.
We do find feedback as yours very valuable but more importantly our teams must and have acted on it. Please be advised our guests bills are provided nightly to the executive rooms, so I apologize in this instance you did not receive it.
Further changes to menu concepts and service deliveries at the Brasserie have been made to improve our Customers dining experiences and we finalizing negotiations to provide Free internet soon.

Mr Australasia thank you again and we all look forward to your return soon

I wish to meet with you and introduce to you our new Executive team at the Grand Papua hotel on your return

Lukim yu
Alex Wilson and staff

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

The Grand Papua Hotel is probably one of the best in Port Moresby. Staff is polite and they are working hard to deliver the best they can. It has a nice bar and restaurant. However, it is an expensive hotel in comparison to what it offers. There is a lot of room for improvement. To start with, internet is expensive and patchy. An internet card with 100 MB costs 50 kina (around USD 20) and speed is not the best. Some rooms have better internet signal than others.

Few days before checking in, I asked if I could arrange tours and I was told the hotel did not offer that service but there were two companies that could. The problem was that I was not given the contact details of those companies and when I asked it took 2 days to get a very plain response. In other cities, inquiries like this one are responded as soon as possible.

I also found unbelievable that besides complementary airport transfers, it is not possible to get a car from the hotel to go anywhere, as it is the case in most business hotels worldwide. We needed to hire independently another party instead.

Conference rooms are smaller than the average in five-star hotels anywhere else. Restrooms nearby conference rooms are too small. If many participants are attending an event, lines in restrooms are long during breaks.

Finally, room service needs to respond faster. I called on Sunday morning for room service and got no response many times. I could finally place an order after several minutes.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear CKuriyama

My team and I thank you for your great feedback especially in areas such as conferencing and sightseeing. Although we have numerous options regarding conferencing we currently undertaking some changes to our conference rooms and its toilet facilities.
With your feedback we have also made further changes in our roomservice department so thank you

CKuriyama we 100% encourage our guests to enjoy in house activities due to the risk levels outside of the hotel yet if our guests insist there are 2 companies we use for travel around Port Moresby. I encourage my staff that we do all the travel arrangements for first time travel to Port Moresby due to the day to day risks involved. This is also the reason why we do not provide hotel transport to areas other than to the airport and the hotel. I apologize sincerely if this had inconvenienced your visit to Port Moresby and the Grand Papua hotel and am sorry our proud local staff did not translate the very reasons of these restricted services.

Like yourself who wish to enjoy Port Moresby and its surrounding I take guests snorkeling and day treks when I am available and hope you may join myself and guests on your next visit, I trust you noticed how beautiful Port Moresby and its surroundings.

On your return I would love to introduce myself and our Executive management, we all look forward to your return soon.

Lukim yu
Alex Wilson and the Staff at the Grand Papua hotel
port moresby
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Trying to book a weekend room and breakfast package for my wife and I. Called hotel's reservation number on website and made booking and was informed that I would receive an email confirmation. Waited 24 hours and no confirmation so sent a follow-up email to the hotel's webpage email address. No reply. Called the hotel's reservation telephone number. Explained the situation. Was asked my name five or six times, this despite my spelling it a number of times. Was informed no record of reservation made the previous day. Finally made reservation and checked package was available, only to be told it was only available at weekends. Despite my naming the date a number of times during the conversation wrong month was booked. To date no email confirmation. Poor first impressions of the hotel and one wonders how one is supposed to book into it? Must not need my custom?

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CoralSeaHotels, Group Sales & Marketing Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Hello Ray,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today. Once agian, I sincerely aplogise for the confusion and lack of follow up with regard to your booking. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your experience, it will assist us to improve our proceedures and become easier to do business with. We certainly appreciate you choosing to stay at the Grand Papua Hotel and you are a valued guest.

I will forward my contact details, please contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Warm regards

Deidre
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Very nice hotel. But with that price, it should have bathtub in room, pity that it doesn't have. Or perhaps need higher class room?

Dinner and breakfast were ok, portion quite big, but quite expensive. I suppose that is the standard in PNG, so nothing to complaint about.

Also, 150MB internet access cost K100, i think is quite expensive and again, thats the standard of PNG i guess.

Overall, good hotel and the staffs were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Good evening P Cartin

Thank you so much for the lovely compliments and my team and I are pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I am sorry we did not have a room with a bath tub when you stayed with us on this recent visit, so contact myself direct on awilson@grandpapuahotel.com.pg. I will ensure you have one on your return visits similarly we have coming soon - Free internet !!

P Cartin feedback as yours motivates our whole team so we all appreciate your feedback and we all look forward to your next stay

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was put up here by airline due to flight cancellation.
Stunning decor with lots of interesting photographs of Papua New Guinea throughout the ages as well as lots of lovely carvings.
Rooms are lovely.had an issue with toilet making noise rang reception maintenance came straight up to fix,which is not always the case in PNG also room service brought up in a hot trolley so food was piping hot,again not always the case in other 4/5 star hotels in PNG.
Breakfast the next day was lovely with a fine selection of hot food,cereals and lots of fruits.
Really expensive even compared to other main hotel sin PNG but actually provides 5 star service unlike most of them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Good evening Brian M

Thank you so such for the lovely compliments and we are very glad you enjoyed your stay recently

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the décor, food and services and very complimentary of the ability of our maintenance staff. It is always exciting to maintain high standards in a developing country but it is even more rewarding to receive a compliment as yours

Our team and I really appreciate your compliments and we will work even better as we all look forward to your next stay with us

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Grand Papua is considered the best choice in downtown Port Moresby. It is very new, and rooms come in all cases with great views. It is a very very expensive hotel, but this is what happens in every developing country where wealthy oil and gas businessmen and consultants with hefty per diems make up the only types of visitors. Some points to raise about the Grand Papua:
- The food is of average to poor quality, but paired with exorbitant prices. I understand if the rooms are expensive, but I do expect good food for that money. My suggestion is to get a suite with kitchenette, and ask one of the security guards to escort you to the nearby shopping mall with an excellent, fully stocked supermarket.
- The gym is very very good. Probably the best feature of the hotel.
- The personnel is extremely helpful and really nice. It was a pity they hardly get any benefits next to their salary, we heard from several persons that the employment conditions are not good.
- If you can afford it, the Executive Lounge is really worthy, with free wifi, and a happy hour every day.
- The rooms display some obvious deficiencies in the execution (bath tube tiling leaking, mold starting to build up) and unless there is serious maintenance and improvement, it will wear out very soon
- If you are staying over the weekend, arrange for a day trip to Loloata- it is worthy.

Overall, the Grand Papua is a good choice among a limited number of options.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear _Da83Di

Thank you for the great feedback, I am sincerely sorry for the inconveniences caused during your recent stay
We have committed further changes to improving our standards starting with the recruitment of international 5 star experienced personnel’s who will take greater ownership in these areas of concern such as rooms and bathrooms detailing.
These personnel’s will also help us improve our staff Rewards & Recognition monthly programs and staff welfare strategies.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed our gymnasium on the 15th floor, Executive lounge and Happy hour canapés and drinks. Yes our gymnasium has spectacular views and the Executive lounge is very, very popular.

_Da83Di thank you again, we will improve the areas you have highlighted and I hope we will be able to meet you on your return very soon.
Lukim you Alex Wilson
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Have stayed at most of the hotels in Port Moresby. The Grand Papua is a very comfortable hotel with rooms which are more than adequate.

Similarly to the Airways (which I refuse to use again) this place is grossly over priced. I find it hard to fathom how they justify the AUD400+ price tag.

The good aspects:

Rooms are quite nice
Gym is fantastic, new equipment and superb view

And the other stuff:

Had to wait over 30 minutes for a booked hotel shuttle, the airport isn't a great place to hang around
Price is over the top
Staff try hard but plenty of room for improvement
Buffet breakfast and dinner were just average

In comparison to the Airways, I would stay here in preference however I am thinking I will move on to another choice all together.

Bottom line is if you need to stay anywhere half decent in this town you are going to be ripped off and this hotel is no exception.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Alex W, General Manager at Grand Papua Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Kosta 100

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us recently, it is always great to see our guests return to the Grand Papua Hotel yet I am so sorry we fell short in services and standards?

I will definitely relay your lovely compliments of our hotel room and gymnasium to all staff and also will undertake measures to correct our shortcomings with airport shuttle and our breakfast and dinner variety and options.

We are committed to addressing our standards hence we recently recruited a new Rooms Division Manager from Brisbane and an Executive Housekeeper from Auckland both with a wealth of experience in international standards.

I look forward to introducing them on your return and I hope to see you return soon to the Grand Papua hotel
Lukim yu - Alex Wilson

Been to Grand Papua Hotel? Share your experiences!