“Nice, classic and old-style” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eco Resort Inn

You added Eco Resort Inn to your Saves list
Eco Resort Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Cornelis Jongbawstraat 16 | PO Box 2998, Paramaribo, Suriname   |
Ranked #5 of 25 Paramaribo B&B and Inns
Lima, Peru
“Nice, classic and old-style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Instead of all the luxury hotels that Paramaribo offers, Eco Resort gives you a bit more of an outdoor feeling. The building and furniture is ancient and looks well-maintained.

Rooms are good enough and provide with all general facilities.

Outdoor breakfast with a cup of coffee nearby the chirping birds is just a wonderful way to wake up with.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

If you expect a 4 start Hotel, this is not it. The rooms are small but comfortable, obtaining a hair dreyer is a problem. Breakfast is simple, but sufficient. The location to the city is great , 10 minutes walking with great little restaurants and bars around. The staff is helpful but slow in some instances. Having said all this we will be back. Next door are two good hotels.

Room Tip: Avoid taking a room on the ground floor and to close to the main road because of the noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed at Eco Resort for 7 weeks while working on a consultancy. I loved the river and my room - 291 which had a great view from the balcony. I loved the feel of the hotel, loved the many birds, felt very comfortable and as a woman on my own I felt completely safe. It is practical - every room has a large fridge and microwave (important because I did not want to eat restaurant food for 7 weeks!) It is very clean and the staff are friendly and caring. The furniture is basic - nothing luxurious - but it is practical. I had to work in my room a lot of the time but there is a good desk and the wireless Internet connection was excellent. There is a great deck overlooking the river. Some evenings I had night-picnics beside the river with friends - with food and wine bought from Chois Supermarket (a taxi ride away). We usually had this perfect dining spot to ourselves! The pool is small but just fine for that dawn or sunset dip. For longer swims there is free use of the Tororica pool and the gym which is 5 mins walk away. Frankly I was not looking forward to being away from home for 7 weeks - but if I had to stay another 7 weeks I would happily remain at the Eco Resort. It is the rougher edges of the Resort that make it feel homely. I'm clicking excellent for room service although there was none - but you could pick up any meal or drink and take it anywhere you wanted - to your room or to the river...I loved the flexibility and sense of freedom.

Room Tip: I recommend Rooms 288-292 or 388-392 because of the river views.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I landed at this Inn for a 5-day business trip without my luggage. (I do not recommend American Airlines that partly brought me to Suriname!) So the trip started on a stressful note. The hotel staff was unfailingly helpful and friendly and one even went and picked up my bag on his day off from the airport as a favour to me!

The property is quiet even though it was peak season and many families were living there. The rooms were functional with good net access. There is a small swimming pool and some rooms offer a river view which is a plus. I ate my ample, buffet breakfast every morning in an open format dinning area with lovely little birds flying around; some even tried to steal my food!

The place has a naturalistic setting which I preferred vastly to the neighbouring Torarica Hotel which is more luxurious and much more noisy and mainstream. They love playing loud music for one thing! The facilities at this sister hotel are moreover open to those who stay at Eco Resort. If staying at the Inn do go to the Pier on the riverbank at Torarica which offers a beautiful expansive view of the river and the mudflats. I spent a relaxing half hour here.

My only small complaint was not enough veg. choices but one can ask for personalized service and get it with a smile at the Inn.

Room Tip: Riverview Rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The only place to stay in Paramaribo in my opinion! a friend and I shared a river view room while in Parbo for a conference. Fetched up here after three nights in various not-so-great locations, including, it must be fairly said, a nice guesthouse where I spent my first night. Though Parbo is well served for guesthouses you may want the add-ons of a fully functioning hotel and in that case the Eco Resort Inn will tick all your boxes.
Located in the heart of downtown Parbo the Inn is walking distance from everywhere you want to go and, if not, the staff will call you taxis at the drop of a hat. The breakfast was excellent, served under a hut open to the lush greenery of the grounds including a beautifully soothing water feature. The verandah of the main building, a beautiful Dutch colonial style structure, was the best place ever to chill out with a drink, perk up with a coffee, snack, hang out with friends, check the internet on the free wifi everywhere, etc. Dinner and bar snacks also served on the verandah.
I wanted to stay in one of the colonial style rooms (you would have to pay a higher price though) in the main building but there were none available for the date. So my friend and I opted for one of the newer rooms but it was absolutely nothing to complain about-- extremely well appointed, ac, lovely local toiletries, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, wifi, river view and little balcony....
I couldn't see an elevator though and a river view room would be a three to four minute trek from the main building so if you have big bags ask someone to help you get them there.
There is a pool but you can go over to the sister hotel, the Royal Torarica, down the road, which is a bigger, old style five star and enjoy many of the facilities. We went over twice for the zumba classes and hung out by the Torarica pool- nice for a change of atmosphere but I still preferred the Inn as a place to stay in.
Great staff, too. and also excellent coffee!!!!
Lovely place overall! Highly recommended for Paramaribo.

Room Tip: ask for a river view room, though remember that you will have to walk a little bit longer from the m...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed at this resort with my family and I have to say the staff was friendly. The rooms are cleaned every day and freshly cooked breakfast every morning. I would suggest if you are travelling to Suriname to stay at the ECO RESORT INN as my family enjoyed the stay. The resort has a lot of natural wildlife to see in the surroundings many different birds, lizards and iguanas. We all had a good stay in Suriname and I think the resort and the staff made it even better. My 10 year old son was catered to by the morning chef as he made him pancakes and eggs any way he wanted them. I would stay here again when I go back to Suriname.

Room Tip: Make sure to take a room on floor 2 or 3 as a snake was found in the room on the 1st Floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Having stayed in other guesthouses and hotels in Suriname, I would recommend the Eco Resort Inn above all. It is clean, well-appointed and well cared for. Breakfast is outside under a lovely hut-like structure and there's a great choice (unless you arrive late ;) ) the staff are very pleasant and helpful, but you do have to be careful of the very skilled birds at breakfast who will try to swoop down and eat your breakfast if you leave it unattended....!! There are lovely views of the river, a new pool and it's quiet at night.

The beds are comfortable, there's plenty of hot water, well-regulated AC, a TV with cable, a fridge and microwave in the room, a hairdryer and an iron & ironing board. The room is cleaned daily.
The evening dinner is simple if you don't feel like going out to a restaurant. The bar serves coffee or drinks on the verandah which is a lovely place to hang out. The staff will find taxis and provide local info.

You also have access to the pool and fitness facilities at the Torarica (hotel close by) and can even charge to your Eco Resort bill while enjoying the Torarica's bars and restaurants.

The hotel has a lovely atmosphere and I would thoroughly recommend it. I will be going back!

Room Tip: Rooms in modern wing near river have great views from 2nd or 3rd floors.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Eco Resort Inn? Share your experiences!