“Ok hotel, but horrible service” 2 of 5 stars

Torarica Hotel & Casino
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Mr. L.J. Rietbergplein 1, Paramaribo, Suriname   |
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Paramaribo
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Ok hotel, but horrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have read a few of these reviews and first I'll stick up for the hotel and rooms. They are acceptable. You are in a remote country that doesn't even have many flights in or out so you can't expect to find the Ritz Carlton down here. The rooms had cold (but loud) AC, the water was potable, the shower was hot, I could watch the NBA playoffs at night and get US TV stations, etc..

On the downside, the wi-fi was awful and only worked ok in the lobby area.
The pool staff almost seem to go out of their way to be unpleasant. One of my friends who was also staying there wanted to use one of the 4 jacuzzis (all luke warm and wouldn't heat one up) They said he needed an appointment which is understandable, but there were nobody using any of the 4 jacuzzis. Then when he did make an appt the next day, they allowed him 15 mins..that's it (again with 3 empty jacuzzis)

The "King-sized" bed consisited of 2 twin beds slid together. I kept falling into the middle crease and sinking inbetween the mattresses until I decided on sleeping perpendicular to the bed frame.

All in all, if you're truly enjoying Suriname, you'll hardly need more than a place to lie your head, but if you are doing business, I reccommend the Royal Torarica next door, it's a step above.

Room Tip: Make appointments if you need to use the jacuzzi,, Even if they are completely empty of guests
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here for a few day.

Nice breakfast.

Nice view of the river. The room is clean .

I would stay at the Royal Torarica though.

The Eco lodge is just ok.

The service is great and the staff are polit and accomadating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Abuja, Nigeria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I spend two nights in this hotel which is a corporate selection. Although this hotel has apparently renewed its decoration recently, it has not installed the most elementary noise insulation. From the inside you take showers and listen to the television with your neighbours. You cannot leave the A/C on because of the noise it makes.
I stayed in a room on the street side. I was told that there was not much traffic, which is true, except that drivers make a lot of noise. Moreover, there is a joint opposite the hotel where they start playing (poor quality) music at 10:00pm and keep on during the whole night (I know I could not sleep and had to get a plane at 7:00am). If this does not prevent you from sleeping the mosquitos will. Despite the fumigation treatment I requested from the room caretakers, I could not get hold of them during the nights I was there.
I was there for business and not for long. I managed to survive, but if you happen to go to Paramaribo for holidays, staying there will seriously jeopardise them.
Unfortunately the breakfast coffee hardly tastes coffee, which will not help you in overcoming the lack of sleep. The buffet is not that great either, neither is the restaurant menu that does not offer a lot of choice.

Room Tip: May be better at the back (pool side), at all cost refuse the street side. But I am not sure because...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Willemstad, Curacao
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We arrived at 2 o’clock in the morning at the hotel. Our room wasn’t the one we reserved more the 3 months ago. We were traveling with business partners and we got a honeymoon room. The staff told us the hotel was full and they didn’t have another room for us. We stayed the whole night in the smoking smelling lobby. In the morning the manager told us we could get a room to fresh up as courtesy of the hotel, while they are looking for another room for us. After making sure that we do not need to pay for this “fresh up” room, we went to the room at 8 o’clock in the morning. Afterwards they did charge us the full price for the room because check in time was at 5 pm and we went to the room to take a shower at 8 am o’clock. The way they did was to mislead us and made us pay anyway. The worst part was when we went to the director. She was very rude and wanted to dismiss the manager who had given us the free room in front of us. She told us that they have sent us to the room instead of putting us on the street.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

good rooms, good bath, very small tv (why?), decent wifi, ample gardes, nice swimming pool, sufficient services, very good location. Certain things may need a bit of remodeling, but overall it is a safe bet in Paramaribo, and it does have a very convenient shuttle service for the red eyes that land at an airport one hour away from the city!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Coral Springs, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

The only reason I stayed here is because at 2am coming from a red eye flight my guesthouse over booked.

I paid $145USD for Room 113. Ill get the positives out if the way because there are few: Clean room, hot shower, great AC.

Now for the bad.

WiFi is atrocious in the rooms. Actually it's a nightmare everywhere because one you get on, it logs you right off. It was a lost cause so I stopped trying to use it.

Noise in the early morning made you feel like you should put on a hard hat and go to work. Maybe I have the worst luck in history, but the 1 night I needed sleep was this one after walking to this hotel at 2am trying to sleep at 3am then being awoken by hammers next door at 6am! FML

I asked locals and the hotel is always under renovation.

Front desk staff acted like they really didn't want to help me. Maybe because I only stayed one night? I don't know but she says she called Regle Taxi and it took 25 minutes to get there.

Guess what? The 1 day I'm there, the pool was closed. Aww, too bad. Some guy was cleaning it and doing repairs.

Breakfast is sub par. Could of had the same spread at a guesthouse for a fraction of the cost.

The surrounding area is pretty with the Suriname River and the pier. Other than that, go somewhere else.

This place was a horrible experience for me.

• Stayed March 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

During our last visit to Paramaribo in may 2012 we stayed at this hotel. The service was good and the staff kind. But this trip we have encountered a lack of service. The reception staff is kind and helpful. But the service during breakfast is unpleasant. I hope and expect changes as soon as possible. The have also renovate the rooms. But the bathroom in some rooms are surrounded with "frosted glass". Its not recommended to have visitors in your room while taking a shower.
But back in Paramaribo, we will be back at the Torarica hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a NOT renovated room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Torarica Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!