“Not bad but probably the best there is” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Torarica

You added Royal Torarica to your Saves list
Royal Torarica
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Kleine Waterstraat #10, Paramaribo P.O. Box 2927, Suriname   |
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Paramaribo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Not bad but probably the best there is”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

The hotel lobby was welcoming and sparkly clean, the rooms can only be accessed via the lift with a valid room card which is very reassuring. On the down side I had work man in my room when I returned to look at something at the shower and they did not question me when I entered the room removing valuable - I could have been anyone?????
The staff are very friendly and "no" is not part of their vocabulary even though it is not always a "yes"
We organised a tour and the desk staff was more than helpful in helping us at such short notice.
On the downside I forgot something at the hotel and I am still waiting for an answer as my email was forwarded to the hotel. I probably joined the vast "lost property" that is never found.... shame only that they never replied.
The town is very near with all the attractions which is fantastic and all within walking distance. This was a fantastic experience and I wish we had more time.
The dolphin tour sadly was without any dolphins - the murky river water being the only attraction with the local rum (booze cruise?) and the local village where a light snack was provided for us. We did see pelicans though but turned around at the village to look some more at the murky water. For a 96% chance to see any Dolphins I am not too sure if we where in the right area.
The rooms are basic but clean enough. Unfortunately the smell of damp seeps into everything and putting clothes in the wardrobe was out of the question.
The air conditioning was very noisy - take earplugs. The food is ok but expensive I think. Not sure what is around the town though as the Chinese restaurant we went to was a disappointment.
The pool area is pleasant and the pool refreshing.
Would still recommend this hotel as a starting point though.
And do not forget to bring either dollars or euros as sterling is of no use and difficult to change.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Turkish first
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

The Royal Torarica is a beautiful Hotel any way you measure it. The lobby is sparkling clean with giant Surinamese paintings, and the staff at the front desk is very friendly. In fact everyone that works at the Royal Torarica treats you like you're a foreign dignitary (on a side note, this is where the other South American presidents stay while in Suriname).

My room was beautiful with big comfy beds, new furnishings, a flatscreen tv, and a modern luxury bathroom. I'm confused by some of the other reviews I skimmed that seemed to knock the rooms a bit. I'm not sure what these reviewers are used to, but I'll just say that I travel heavily in South America for business and while I normally don't stay in the most expensive option, this was probably the nicest hotel I've stayed in.

Twice I slept through my wakeup call, and the staff came and knocked on my door until I got up. Kudos to you staff, you saved me from missing work and missing my flight. My only critique is that the restaurant is a bit pricey. I ordered a single orange juice and it cost me $7 USD, $8 USD with a tip. If you're watching your budget, or just don't like paying $8 for an OJ, I recommend walking 50 yards to your right and grabbing dinner or a drink at the Hotel Torarica, the sister hotel of the Royal who offer wonderful meals and drinks (try the coconut water which is served in a coconut) at fair prices.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
den haag
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

By reviewing this hotel, I assumed Suriname standards.
Yes for such a expensive hotel is is maybe not perfect. But this is Suriname. That means the barman can forget your order, or it takes some time before they operate.
But for the rest:
The location is perfect, you can walk to the centre of Paramaribo, but still quiet;
A fantastic pool
Very safe

Room Tip: at the riverside
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

I note that compared to other reviews, 'average' seems a bit low but I would say its on the cusp of 'very good'.
Pro's:
Good location on the river a short walk from the attractions.
Very friendly and helpful staff.
Nice pool area and gardens.
Free wifi.

Con's:
Rooms are basic ( I had a 'Royal' room. Don't know how that compares to other rooms)
Room smells damp, especially the bathroom and wardrobes. (Same in my colleagues rooms) Probably due to the time of year.
Noisy rooms even with the AC off.
A bit pricey in the bar & resteraunt but not extortionate.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

This hotel is about an hour drive from the International airport and they actually arranged my pickup. The room was clean and average for the two nights i spent. There is a casino attached just a few steps outside. The restaurant provided very tasty food and they have a very nice pond with lots of koi fish. Service was great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Too noisy (they pick up rooms service after midnight, but it had been all day in the corridor), they take too long to serve any dinner, which by the way is very expensive and very small portions (I waited for more than an hour for a tiny portion of fish with 1 soup spoon of risotto), the breakfast is really poor for the quality of hotel they claim to be.

And today the cherry of the cake: they are hosting a fashion event, not in a private salon, which they have many, but on the main gallery where I usually have dinner. So I cannot eat there, I cannot go to the gym (it's the only path), I cannot go to the pool terrace to watch the stars or the moon, in fact if I want to see the fashion event I also have to pay. And I repeat, it's not in a private salon, it's in the "gallery" of the hotel, needed to go everywhere and mostly used at night. Also, they've been preparing this event the whole weekend, troubling guests with noises, cables everywhere, strange people around the pool, testing sound, etc., but guests are not allowed to watch it without paying extra, not even to compensate all the nuisance caused. So, again, you don't want the guests to attend to the event, then do it in a private salon and don't bother us preparing it !

So, really horrible service for the price of the room.

Nevertheless, is by far much better than the Torarica Casino, so there is not much of a choice here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I stay at this hotel mainly for work and the service is exceptional. I especially love the hot hand towels in the restaurant and the fact that there is a manager on duty at 2am to make sure you don't miss your flight and to help with check in. As everyone may know flights to and from Suriname tend to be sporadic and very early in he mornings.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Royal Torarica? Share your experiences!