“Much better 2nd time around.” 3 of 5 stars

Pegasus Hotel Guyana
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Seawall Road | Kingston, Georgetown 101147, Guyana   |
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Georgetown
New York City, New York
“Much better 2nd time around.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed at Pegasus the week of February 10th on business and was somewhat surprised. This is my second time staying here with my first time being approximately 5 years ago. On my first stay, I remember the room I was given was very shabby and outdated. On this stay, my room was updated and well appointed. The hotel staff were professional and helpful. The common areas of the hotel are undergoing a renovation along with many of the rooms. The pool area along with bar have also been updated. Also, Pegasus is located across the street from the US and Canadian Embassies making security in the area a little better (just a little). The cab drivers are fair and honest. I tried to tip one for taking me to a restaurant and waiting and he refused the tip! I would defiantly visit again on my next trip to Guyana.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Was certainly a very nice hotel in the 80's but now it is not worth the money; They even charge for Internet which does not always work.
Some staff is extremly friendly and some are not so friendly. As we found out that my collegue had a better rate then myself they did not accept to reduce my rate because "he had the coorporate rate".
Just to be clear: We both work for the same company, so try to understand this

Room Tip: Avoid rooms like x07 as the view is terrible and the noise is terrific. You look into a scrapyard
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Whenever I am in Guyana I spend a night or two at the Pegasus. I have definitely stayed in better hotels around the world, but I have not found a better one in Georgetown so far. It has the basics, access to taxis, pool, room service (although limited), a restaurant, bar, an elevator to get to higher floors, access to ATM, air conditioning, etc. The staff in general is helpful and friendly; but there are short comings and lack of organization. This is a reflection on the management that don't care to provide better training or guidance to their staff. The rooms are decent, but I think overpriced for the accommodations; I keep hoping they will do something to upgrade the bathrooms. Public spaces like the pool, bar and restaurant have been improved and offer a pleasant atmosphere for dining or socializing, but service can be slow and unpredictable.

Overall, It's not bad, but definitely needs some attention. I continue to hope for improvement.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room ahead of time if you can to make sure all is in order. Three sizes available...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have stayed at the Pegasus numerous time over the past two years. Traveling on business, my employer has certain standards for lodging, which this hotel barely meets. Once inside the property, you are safe; however, the adjacent seawall is the demarcation point of where not travel further. It is relatively close to the main part of Georgetown. The Pegasus taxi service is reliable and safe, not to mention inexpensive.

Back to the hotel--it's over 40 years old and is only now receiving any attention. The ownership is investing in upgrades to the building. It may be a case of too little too late as Marriott is building right next door. The rooms are in dire need of maintenance, yet they are clean. I don't come to this hotel because of the decor. I basically use it for a bed and shower. I've been in rooms with king size beds, double beds and twin beds, none were spectacular. Showers are an adventure. Supposedly some rooms have been updated, but I have yet to get a room with a shower that operates the same each time I use it. Once you get hot water, bathe as quickly as possible because you don't know how long you will get hot water, unless you get the room that does not have cold water in the shower. A cold shower beats getting scalded. It took some work to balance the shower that time.

Service is poor to non-existent. There are a few servers who try to do a good job. When they are here I seek them out. Otherwise, you have to remember this is Guyana. Nobody moves fast. If you decide to eat here, plan on a long, slow lunch or dinner. They do have buffets, so you can service yourself. The food quality is adequate. I've had better in Georgetown, specifically at the New Thriving restaurant. When I travel on business by myself, I prefer not to venture out for meals as I can't see going somewhere just to read while I eat. I'm not that picky to avoid eating here, but I prefer to go to New Thriving if I am with colleagues.

Overall, I've run into the same issues others have commented about--door locks that don't work, poor room decor (three of the same picture in one room???), broken furniture, missing curtains, noisy air conditioning, etc. This is a third world country and this is about the best you can expect. The Princess, although new, has a lot more problems than you would expect. You might be better off at one of the small local hotels if you are adventurous. If you do, make sure you do your homework as that could be a bigger disaster then the reasonable accommodations offered by the Pegasus.

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Upon arriving to the hotel there were four guest checking in and one person working. It took +30 minutes. The reception area is old and looks dirty. The room had no hot water. The door lock was broken. The tv and cable did not work properly with a lot of static and loss of reception, plus very few channels. There was no room service menu and when i called i was told they only had fried chicken and fries or fish and fries.
And then it was 25USD. I asked for a wake up call at 0700hrs, it never happened. The furniture is very old all over the hotel, except inside the Aromas Restaurant(the only thing good in hotel). Restaurant staff was attentive.
I called room service 7-8 times no answer. I tried making an outside call to USA and their system kept telling me I didnt have access. I went to front desk and they told me just keep trying after the tenth time I gave up. checking out again took +30 minutes.

I will be in Guyana for 4 weeks in May and OF COURSE WILL NOT STAY THERE.
Princess Hotel is better. GOOD LUCK

Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Pegasus Hotel is the grand old lady of Guyana hotels being approximately 40 years old and was considered the premier hotel in Guyana. The hotel looks its age but management has been upgrading various areas giving them a very modern look. The staff at the hotel are all extremely friendly and there is a taxi service based at the hotel with drivers who know the city well. The location of the hotel is very good for business travellers to Georgetown being situated at the top of the city next to the sea wall, close to all business areas in the city and on the East Coast Highway.

The rooms are basic but well maintained and clean, with wireless internet but there is a daily charge for use of the internet. The cable TV provides a good selection of channels. Each room is outfitted with an ironing board and iron.

There is a choice of dining locations at night either around the poolside or in the air-conditioned cafe or the covered patio that overlooks the pool. On Friday nights there is a good local band playing a variety of musical genres. The bar service is very good and there is also a separate wine bar.

Bogota, Colombia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel is an old building it has being partially renovated, the restaurant is nice and the menu is good, the breakfast buffet is good. The rooms are less than average but clean. The lobby and the larger meeting room are in poor condition.
Georgetown deserves a better option.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Pegasus Hotel Guyana? Share your experiences!