“unexpectedly good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Coastal Hotel

You added Grand Coastal Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Coastal Hotel
1 & 2 Area M Plantation | Le Ressouvenir, East Coast Demerara, Georgetown, Guyana   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Georgetown
London, United Kingdom
“unexpectedly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was a very nice experience with my wife, 3 children and father. I had not visited Guyana for 13 years and the hotel was a really pleasant surprise.

The service was top notch, very flexible and accomdating. Rooms are clean as are all the facilities. The children loved the pool (and so did I).

Definitely visit again if we are back in Guyana

Room Tip: if you have lots of luggage stick with the ground floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed at Grand Coastal Inn in July 2013. The size of the room is standard and it was very clean, the bed was comfortable and thankfully there was wireless access which was very convenient. The hotel staff were also very friendly. However, the walls of the room were paper thin. As such I could hear everything the man in the room next to me was doing including the shows he watched until 3 a.m. and the telephone conversation he had at 10 p.m. There was also a cat meowing, purring and growling behind my room all night. Eventually there appeared to be a a family of cats as the noise level became unbearable. The food is average (if a bit greasy) and the portion size for fresh fruit for breakfast is unacceptably small. And although there is a busy-ish highway right outside the hotel, it is not conveniently located and as such the options for meals outside the hotel were limited. I'm not sure I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ramesh P, General Manager at Grand Coastal Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear ryssacheri,

From the management and staff of Grand Coastal Hotel, we appreciate the positive comments you have left regarding our cleanliness, comfort, hotel amenities and service.

Currently, Grand Coastal is doing its best to keep pests out of the hotel on an extremely regular basis. Unfortunately, a few strays from the surrounding neighborhoods tend to find themselves on the hotel grounds which we cannot always monitor. We sincerely apologize for the disturbances and can ensure you that we have remedied the feline situation to our best efforts.

As for the thin walls, we are sorry that a fellow guest disturbed you from your rest and have already begun implementing measures to decrease the noise level in and around the hotel.

Being very proud of our well reputed cuisine, we hope you can visit again and let us renew your faith in our food. We recommend trying our famed Coastal Grill for great healthy dishes. We will also will re-look at our portion sizes for fruit and hopefully please you on your next visit.

We take customer satisfaction very seriously at Grand Coastal and we thank you for your comments and suggestions. Please call me, General Manager Ramesh Paykoo at 592-220-1091 and I will be very happy to ensure your next stay is a fantastic one.

Regards,
Ramesh Paykoo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

The stay was very pleasant, all the staff from Daniel at the front desk to all the house keeping staff were very accommodating. I travelled to Guyana with my husband and two teenage kids. We got to the hotel early but was still able to check in. The room that I stayed in did not have and iron, when I asked for one the housekeeping staff offered to iron the shirt for me, which she did. The rooms are well kept. The towels could have used a little more fabric softener and it would have been nice if they had bath robes for guest. The food was not bad either. All the waiters and waitress especially Collin and Romin were very courteous and always smiling. It would be nice if they offered guest a drink when the first checked in too. I spent a week and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Busy in Guyana with a project and have stayed in the hotel a few times. The staff here is excellent ! Although the hotel is a little out of the way, it is definitely worth staying here. The rooms are clean, they have cable, aircon, free internet and a nice shower.

Room Tip: The upgrade to the mini suite is well worth the money. For $30 odd dollars to upgrade from the doub...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

During my previous work trips to Guyana I found it convenient to base my stay at the Pegasus Hotel. It's easy to dismiss poor service and worn out accommodations to being in a developing country. However, on this trip I moved my base of operations to the Grand Coastal Inn. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Ten minutes via cab and it's like being in another world of service and accommodations.

Limited flights means late arrivals. When my colleague and I arrived at the Grand Coastal at 3am, the desk clerk had our reservation information ready and available. We were quickly taken to our rooms, which were very clean and comfortable. The selection for breakfast was ample and decently priced. The wait staff promptly acknowledged my presence, brought over a cup of coffee and took my order. A short time later I had my food, and a refill on the coffee.

Since I had to work in my room prior to leaving the hotel, I asked the cleaning staff to avoid my room until I left. For them, this meant they had to adjust their schedule. No problems at all. They left me alone to work. I left at 2pm, left the maid service tag on the door, and the room was made up by the time I returned at 4pm.

My colleague and I relaxed by the pool that evening. We had a few drinks, which were moderately priced. Again, the wait staff promptly acknowledged us. As our glasses became empty, the staff kept checking to see if we needed refills. Very satisfying to receive this kind of service.

We had dinner at the hotel. Again, a decent selection with moderate prices. Service was outstanding. Don't expect a full menu, but you can and will be satisfied with what is offered.

The hotel is a short drive away from the center of Georgetown. The hotel will help you get a cab. They select the better cabs for your protection. You can call the hotel when you want to return. They will dispatch a cab for you. You can feel safe while at the hotel property.

There are a few areas that I would have to note. My room had a safe, but it was somewhat small. It could not hold both my computer and my camera. I did feel comfortable leaving my computer in my brief case and storing the brief case in the closet. The hotel in on a busy road. If you come here, request a room away from the road. My colleague's room faced the road. He complained about the noise. Not a fault of the hotel!

As a small hotel, it has to compete in a tight market. The Grand Coastal sets itself apart by the attention it gives to its customers. I will use this hotel for my future trips, I suggest you give it a try as well.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by the road--somewhat noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Where to start on my review, first of all it was the BEST birthday/vacation ever....I want to say that my stay at the Grand Coastal is what really made my stay in guyana the best ever....Mr. Ramesh and Daniel was very helpful and always has a smile....thanks to you guys....This is a family friendly hotel, the rooms are very comfortable and clean....the suites has down comforters and a king size bed, very comfy....the staff at Grand Coastal were always helpful and pleasant....the massage was amazing....Grand coastal has another 10 rooms house five minutes away that accomodates a large family, incl. kitchen, living room, ocean view, each room has it's own bathroom and maid services...they also shuttle you back to the hotel free of charge, and it's a little closer to georgetown ( prices are a little cheaper ) .....They have taxi services and any request are always accomodated...A shout out to Data, Sunita, Suresh, Mahendra and all the other staff....i am still too tired from my fabulous vacation to remember everyone's name (sorry)....keep up the good work.....food service could be a little faster.....Bibi Mallay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Although I have heard much about Guyana this was my first trip there. We were a party of 5 celebrating a birthday. We had initial difficulty deciding where to stay in Georgetown but finally settled on Grand Coastal because of the good reviews which are justified. I cannot say enough of how well we were treated - everyone did their best to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Staff at the front desk were great, even the driver for the shuttle once we got used to his accent. Wait staff were very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful - even preparing fruit we bought at the market and presenting them in a very pleasant manner without any complaints. There was no extra charge for this service. Definitely affordable and excellent value for money. Although breakfast was not included the 5 of us got enough from 3 orders to completely satisfy us and they even prepared the meals half an hour before they were supposed to open the dining area in order to accommodate our early morning tours. Little inconveniences such as mosquitoes could be tolerated and compensated by the attention of the staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Coastal Hotel? Share your experiences!