“Rice, rice and rice” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 63 Restaurants in Georgetown
Abuja, Nigeria
“Rice, rice and rice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

If you like rice, you will be happy. You need to carefully search the other ingredients. Good for a quick lunch, but do not expect an unforgettable culinary experience, even from a local point of view.

Visited April 2013

“It was okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The food is great but the place needs some upgrading. I didn't like the idea of having to share a table with a stranger.

“Consistent Guyanese food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

You can get a wide variety of tasty GT food, especially their pork and curry. Yummy! Always a wide variety of dishes to choose from.

Visited February 2013
Coral Springs, Florida
“A lot of restaurants dissappointed me in Georgetown, this place did not. The food was EXCELLENT! Good service too.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I landed in Georgetown for 3 days on a 5 country expedition. Asked some locals were some good, authentic fresh prepared Guyanese food was. I was pointed to Coal Pot Cafeteria.

As an American I stick out like a sore thumb and its easy for most locals to pass you off or not help you. This was not the case at Coal Pot. The girl and guy behind the counter were very helpful in my order as I cannot have spicy food.

And being in Guyana a lot of things come spicy. She told me the Stew Pork with white rice would be ok for me. So for 700 Guyana Dollars I got it.

Sat on the balcony with a cool breeze over looking the town and had a really good time.

The Stew Pork was full of flavor but not spicy at all. The meat was tender and fell off the bone. I tried the banana soda because it looked different and I was delicious.

And being from the states where everything is sweetened artificially with High Fructose Corn Syrup and Sucralose, it's a delight to look on the ingredients and actually see SUGAR as the sweetener.

After my meal, the guy let me fill up my water bottle for the long walk back to my hostal.

After meeting 5 Canadians on a tour I told them about Coal Pot and they tried it later that day.

Great place. Great authentic food. Great Service, which I cannot say about other restaurants in Georgetown.

I will definitely be returning here.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

the food is lovely i was very surprised coal pot served a variety of creole food i can not complain, the atmosphere is good also the service

Visited October 2012