“ok but expensive” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Hotel Amazonia

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Hotel Amazonia to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Hotel Amazonia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   28 Avenue Du General De Gaulle, Cayenne 97300, French Guiana   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Cayenne
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“ok but expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

It's an ok hotel, but nothing special, and not worth a 100 euro. It's a bit old, bathroom was huge but couldn't use the bath tub :( For the wifi you had to login every 5 minutes, annoying. Staff was very friendly though.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I've stayed at many hotels and some have been in 3rd world countries, but none have been as sparse and "campy" as this one. The room I was given was large and relatively clean but the television didn't work and the balcony door was fused shut. (It reminded me of summer camp, except we had fun at summer camp.) The WIFI was shoddy and kept dropping the connection so I eventually had to stop trying to connect and check my emails. The breakfast is included but I found that spam weenies, crepes, bacon, and runny scrambled eggs weren't as appetizing as I had imagined (tongue-in-cheek).

I was disappointed with the quality of the hotel. I was expecting more from a french department but I was sadly disappointed. The reason I gave the hotel an average rating as apposed to a poor rating is because almost everything in the city is in a state of reckless abandon. I have described this city as France's Wild West, because all that I saw that held up to the beautiful french culture and way of life was the language and the simple food I had the opportunity of eating.

Room Tip: Hard to say, but I would select a room in the back since the back road is quieter than the one in fr...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

It is diffecult to get a good hotel in French Guiana. Either it is very expensive and certainly not worth the money or like this hotel, with a non existing service. The staff is simply not service minded. The hotel is fine enough but it is difficult to close your eyes for the others things.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I booked and paid for my stay online at[---] At the end of my stay when I went to check out they insisted (over my objections) on processing another payment. Sure enough, when I checked my bank statement I found they had charged me twice. It is now a month since my stay, and during this time I have phoned them and sent six emails (which they are extremely tardy in replying to), yet still they haven't refunded me. Moreover they are trying to make it my problem by bureaucratically insisting on more and more different types of evidence (I have already sent them my bank statement so what more proof should be necessary).

In summary: Best Western don't give a d**n about customer service. Don't stay there, or if you must; then don't trust them with your credit card; pay cash instead.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Cayenne hotels

Edmonds, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We had to overnight in Cayenne unexpectedly. The only hotel that was availble was the Amazonia. After reading the few other reviews we had some trepidation but our room was spotless, the Wi-Fi was free and it was so quiet we could hear the birds singing. The hotel seems to be mostly for business people with a number of meeting rooms. The decor is 1980s. For the price it was fine.
There isn't much to see in Cayenne.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

We did not have any problems with noise (we were at the top floor, so that might be the solution) and room was nice and bathroom very big and clean. But the customer service was awful! Staff at the front desk were actually clueless and completely useless!!! They gave us wrong estimated price for the cab ride to the airport, didn't have any info about things to do/see and on every our question their answer was "I do not know" without even an effort to find our the answer. They didn't even know what is the password for their WiFi network! The problem with French Guiana is lack of competition and luck of other options, so if you do not mind dealing with the clueless staff, this might be OK option for a night or two.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

Very expensive for what you get.

Ok, my room was comfortable, but the bathroom was consistently dirty and the air-con didn't work.

This leads to a huge problem for the hotel - noise. It's situated on the main drag in Cayenne - near loud bars and clubs. With no air-con you have to open the window. But then you can't sleep due to the noise.

Avoid if you can.

• Liked — It had the only vacancy I could find!
  • Disliked — Noisy and over priced
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel Amazonia? Share your experiences!