“Convenient, clean and comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

Nacion Hotel
Carrera 8 No. 65-29 / 36, Bogota, Colombia   |
Ranked #50 of 147 Specialty Lodging in Bogota
Sydney
“Convenient, clean and comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We kept returning to this hotel each time after our trips around Colombia which indicated that it was just what we needed in Bogota. This is a very reasonable priced hotel but what you have to remember is that you get what you pay for. The room was on the small side, but that is OK is it is just a base and we didn't use the room during the day, and the hot water was limited. Again that is acceptable as we are staying in a non-western city where the conveniences are not the same as in European, US or Australian capital cities. Make do with what is on offer and just enjoy your time here. The staff made a great effort to communicate with us as we had no Spanish. By the end of our time in Bogota we had established a great rapport with the Reception staff and the lovely waitress in the kitchen.

Breakfast was varied and quickly served. On our final day we had a very early departure and the kitchen opened 1/4 hour early so we could have a quick cup of tea and a bread roll before we left which was a thoughtful gesture. Also they provided us with hot water each evening to make our own tea at no extra charge. Our baggage was stowed each time we went away at no cost. Also they provided a laundry service

We were given a beautiful calender as a farewell gift which is shows the staffs friendliness.

Just remember this is not a tourist hotel so it doesn't have all the maps, and touristy information that some of the bigger hotels offer. This is just a little hotel offering convenient accommodation in a good area and a reasonable price. Most of the clients appeared to be other Colombians, not international travellers. I would be happy to return here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up to eliminate some of the early morning traffic noise. It didn't bother...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

i love this hotel , i will be doing my future stays in hotel nacion, the people at the front desk are really helpful and informative. the service is really outstanding i give this hotel 5 stars.---from paul levy

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangor Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

I switched Hotels from the Hotel Chapinero to the Nacion Hotel because i wanted a clean, comfortable place to stay. The Nacion is in a great location, in the Chapinero district, within walking distance of the Parque Nacional and the Museums, Chapinero nightlife, big Cathedrals, and the Gov't center in Candelaria. For a relatively low price (around USD60 per night) i stayed for a couple of nights in a large suite. It was a decent environment, and the receptionist called me Don Alejandro. As i am only partially competent with the Spanish language, i needed one of my friends to translate. The breakfast was decent at best, general hotel food. I didn't try the restaurant. I was able to have the front desk call a driver to take me to meetings. I was charged double for the drinks i took from the drybar in my room, but beside that, everything went smoothly.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Valley Village, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

I wouldn’t say this hotel is the worse I’ve ever stayed, but it’s certainly not the best. My biggest issue with this hotel is NONE of the staff spoke English. When asked if they spoke English while making my reservation, the reply was “mas or menos”, but in reality they didn’t speak English at all. I was told the manager spoke English, but I never met him to verify.

Reception. The receptionist seemed to want to help, but they didn’t have the means, as they couldn’t communicate with me. It was a frustrating situation for both of us. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to converse with the receptionist, please have someone on hand that can translate. Also, be very aware of the charges for your visit. I was almost charged twice for my stay. I was initially charged the base rate when I checked in, and when I check out, I was almost charged the base again, plus an additional 76,000 COP. When my friend asked why, he was told I had two people spend the night and there was a fee of 38,000 COP per day for over night visitors. ONLY one person spent the night with me and that was my friend who helped me check in on the first night. I did have visitors, but they clearly did not spend the night. Since my friend was not around to translate for me upon checkout, I paid. You will also be asked to pay part of the additional amount in pesos, and the other part on your credit card. Personally I think this was done so that I didn’t have a case should I decided to contest the charge later. That being said, find out all the rules prior to your stay at Nacion, or you too will have the same problem if you have visitors.

Maid service. The maid service was mediocre at best. There were days I didn’t have maid service until 3:00 PM in the afternoon. In all my years of traveling, I’ve never had to wait until 3:00 PM to have maid service. In my opinion that is totally unacceptable. You will also find their supply of towels are limited, so you may be interrupted two or three times, as most days towels had to be laundered before you received a fresh supply. This cut into my relaxation time, which was a little frustrating.

Restaurant. The restaurant staff was very attentive. I received wakeup calls daily for breakfast. I thought that was a nice treat. Of course they didn’t speak English, but you pretty much knew if you were getting a call at 9:00 AM, it was the restaurant. The food was pretty decent (breakfast only). I didn’t eat lunch or dinner in the hotel, so I can’t’ comment on that.

Location. The hotel is located in the Chapinero area of Bogota one block from the one of the most popular streets in Bogota, Carrera 7. There is also a great market about two blocks from the hotel if you wish to buy food and drinks instead of eating in the hotel. The only negative about the location is, if you are on the backside of the hotel there are residences, and on Sundays it’s very loud. I’m assuming on Sundays it’s family day in Bogota, so be prepared to hear loud music and contagious laughter. The residents also have a dog, so don’t expect to get daily naps, as this dog barks constantly. If you close your window to cut down on the noise, be prepared to sweat. There is also no air conditioner in the hotel, so you have to put up with the noise because the room gets pretty hot if you close the windows.

All and all I echo the sentiments of the previous commenter. It’s a decent hotel for the price, but if money isn’t an option, bypass this hotel.

Stayed April 2008
london, england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2007

I been coming to this hotel since i first came to bogota, and i have to say that for the price is one of the best places u can get in the city.

The hotel is clean, safe, quiet, the staff is just great, helpful.

Their prices are very good too, you can stay in the executive suite for about 60 dollars and u will feel your in a 4 star hotel.

Last time i stayed there was on my conection trip to london, and was just as nice as the first time.

So i truly recomend this hotel to anyone that wants a good hotel, with a good price.

ah and the breakfast is included on the price.

• Liked — the location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Nacion Hotel? Share your experiences!