“Was fine” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel America Bogota

Save Saved
You added Hotel America Bogota to your Saves list
Hotel America Bogota
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 66 no 8-23 | Zona Rosa, Bogota 1200, Colombia (Chapinero)   |
Ranked #123 of 230 Hotels in Bogota
Mexico City, Mexico
“Was fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

Not sure of the negative reviews. I thought they were very attentive and while maybe wasn't the best neighborhood, but bot horrible. Was my first time. In bogota. I speak Spanish,so maybe that helped. Ínternet seemed to come and go, but thats eems typical in many hotels. Breakfast included, but bot very good

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Marigot, St Maarten-St Martin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

I stay with wife and toddler, 2 years old.
The elevator never work out. Always in maintenance. Of course carrying the stroller and stuff in the narrow stairs were a challenge. I prepaid complete week (7 days 6 nights) in this hotel because it was so cheap, but we left after two nights, terrible neighborhood, kind of commercial area (really noisy and messy on daylight but scary at sunset). This is NOT the Zona Rosa they claim on their web site. The most shocking complaint was the pros-titution!!!, the paid girls call this hotel for they services and it is really bad sharing the smallest lobby with under age girls visible attending for in calls services. Picture that !!!
I would never put my wife and kid in such companion.
Colombian service is great! but this Hotel provides such average and low end service that besides the problem with the area and facilities and the noises and the stairs and the food and the transportation and everything in the atmosphere on this "hotel" was bad. I deeply sorry the fact I prepaid it online. AVOID NO MATTER WHAT!!! SERIOUSLY: NO OPTION!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

I stayed two nights in Bogota. First night I stayed at this hotel. I got in the hotel at 6 am from the airport. They were very nice and let me check in at 6am and sleep. They do not speak english but they were very friendly. Clean and nice and comfortable. Area is fine with me. Taxi is always there and guys there are ready to help me. I even forgot my jacket when I checked out and They found it for me. How nice!! It is quite place and I sleep so well.
I also stayed at the Hotel casa deco because of the high rating. I could not sleep well there because of noise. This place do not have a lot of amenties but nice and friendly hotel. I enjoyed staying there and I will go back there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Marigot, St Maarten-St Martin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Honestly the service is bad, quite terrible. Angry people who hates their jobs, obviously. I book for a week and of course I prepaid for it. I have left this "hotel" after two days and one night in there. It has narrower stairs and no elevators, well, they said they have one but it was a really tinny and dysfunctional elevator (mechanic troubles).
This location is NOT the "Zona Rosa" (nicest area) they said. This is more downtown oriented and honestly you could NEVER walk to nicer area from this hotel. This is commercial neighbor but sure it might be unsafe right after sunset. Actually the hotel is used as a Motel (in Bogota the lovers go to this type of business for one or two hours). There is more: you might be surprised by prostitutes in and out of this "hotel" (they called Prepaid Girls "prepagos") .
The room is not clean I asked another room they provide another room with worst problems, they laugh loud. The new room has a strong smell of tobacco, I do not smoke hence my tragedy. They will not help you with luggage. If there is any consume in there, they will ask you for cash payment immediately they will say problems with banking device for credit cards process. I believe it and accept it. They change money under unfair rate of exchange, you do not have other option if they are asking immediate payment before you leave the table... Absolutely NO children here, is just NOT safe for kids.
If your problem is the pricing, you might have safer, cleaner, better service under lower pricing by far.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

I booked this hotel because it was so much cheaper than the others but I did regret this.

The hotel was in a rather run down back street with very little in the way of shops or street life. Even though we told the taxi the hotel address, they had great difficulty finding the hotel.
In the evening, the taxi dropped us off on a street corner and then as we were walking back to the hotel, someone chased us obviously with the intent of robbing us.

The hotel itself had no heating in the room so we were freezing cold and it was very difficult getting any sleep.

The lift was out of order. The room was on the 3rd floor and we had to go up several flights of stairs.

Breakfast was horrendous. Everything served on one plate (fruit with scrambled egg(!) )

This was not a good experience and I will be particularly careful when booking a hotel in Bogota again.

• Disliked — Neighbourhood was very unsafe; lift did not work; no heating; awful breakfast
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Florianopolis, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

clean and adequade. kind reception.
attention: a smart (?) trap regarding the price:
they dont accept payment in US$.
they quote the price in US$, and (at the last minute at checkout) force effective in CO (Colombian currency) with a compulsory overpriced (+15%) change.
example:
price quoted= 84 US$ (as agreed with tax included) >> (in check out) turns with a "strange convert" CO then.... 97 US$/day in debit by official rate.

Thats why I suggest attention to this "smart" kind of practice in Colombia.

• Liked — good size and decor
  • Disliked — clean and correct
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

I can´t belive that for such a really value rate I was given a very nice room with modern facts, great view, amenities.
Great choice for us.
Next time in Bogota surely will be there.
Dont forget to feel that people in this Hotel is very friendly

• Liked — Service, Staff, Location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel America Bogota? Share your experiences!