“Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Abadia Colonial

You added Abadia Colonial to your Saves list
Abadia Colonial
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   calle 11 # 2-32 | La Candelaria, Bogota, Colombia (La Candelaria)   |
Ranked #97 of 245 Hotels in Bogota
Cary NC
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I spent some time in Bogota recently visiting friends. I stayed a few nights in Abadia Colonial. At first glance it didn't appear that special, but it only took a short time to realize why so many visit. It was beautiful, a perfect representation of Colombias colorful and rustic roots. The hotel was everything I expected, charming, romantic, rustic and accommodating. The staff was amazingly helpful, local landmarks, the most affordable ways to navigating the busy streets and best traditional dinning Colombia can offer. The hotels Italian restaurant is beyond excellent, freshly made pizza, pastas and a chocolate cake to die for. English speaking staff was extremely helpful, since my spanish is fair at best. Allow time to visit the Gold and Botero Museum and have plenty of storage space for photos. If I can make the trip again this will be on my list of hotels to stay. I can give this location nothing less that 5 stars.

Room Tip: Courtyard room to avoid the street noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
San Francisco, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

The location of the hotel is fantastic, in the La Candelaria locality of Bogota, with plenty of bars, restaurants, and attractions nearby. You can walk to the Museo Oreo and the Museo Botero. The layout of the hotel is charming in an old villa with a beautiful courtyard, and with a very nice Italian restaurant open for lunch and dinner in the courtyard. We ate there and the food and the meal service was very good.

Unfortunately there are 3 things about this place that make me very hesitant to recommend this to anyone:

1. Absolutely no noise insulation in the rooms. We were in this hotel for 2 nights; on the first night the party in the courtyard went on until 10.30 pm which wasn't too bad. The second night was horrendous, the TV in the courtyard was blaring until 1.30 am. As you can imagine, this ensured pretty poor sleep.

2. Beware of the front desk staff overselling you (In fairness, most staff were helpful, we had a particularly bad experience with one). We were trying to schedule a trip to the town of Villa de Leyva (about 4 hours away by bus), and we'd already traveled around Colombia on our own the past 10 days or so. We don't speak Spanish but enough to get by; imagine my surprise when the staff member told me travel was "dangerous" and she'd arrange a private taxi to Villa de Leyva. She tried pressing 3-4 times over the course of the day, I was very firm and insistent that we would take a bus. She arranged a taxi service to the bus station, this cost 3 times as much as hailing a cab (I know because that's what we did on the way back after the trip to Villa de Leyva to get a cab back to the hotel). Be very well informed on how much hotel arranged trips are going to cost you.

3. No hot water or very spotty hot water for showers. This is a bit of a drag when you stay here for multiple days and have early morning starts for local trips or to catch an international flight back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
paolonerocchi, Gerente at Abadia Colonial, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Mrs Vijak,
I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you had at the hotel, after I check your fair comments,I realized that effectively that the second night that you spent here the person who was working at night didn´t follow the hotel´s rules it was because was his first shift at that hour, we had to change completely the reception´s group for those days so for that reason He was doing the shift that night normally after 10:00 pm everything have to be on silence.

Also is true about the expensive charge for the transfer Hotel/Terminal due to the receptionist was new and She used another rate´s route, besides she told you it was "dangerous" because she wanted to be sure all our guest are safe and confortable.

With all of this I just wanted to really apologize with you and let you know that we want to send you the 12 usd over that we charged for mistake, please Sir send me for private email your information so we can send you back the money.

Sincerely
Paolo Rocchi
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My 2 daughters and I loved this hotel - our first night in Colombia. Very welcoming, clean, wonderful old house but all mod cons. Delicious breakfasts without arepas - which we came to dread in other establishments!! Excellent Italian diner on our last night, and breakfast thoughtfully provided before our 6.30am departure. Staff very friendly and obliging but I echo what a previous reviewer said about a lack of any English speaker at all.

Room Tip: Choose one opening on to the second courtyard beyond the dining room - quiter and more secure at the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Everything about this hotel was charming, with the exception of the mattresses-they were not of a good quality. The rooms and rest of the hotel are decorated in an old-world, antique Colombian style with some italian undertones. Unfortunately we did not have time to try the Italian restaurant in the internal courtyard. But the value of the hotel was reasonable, and the employees as well as the owner were very accomodating. Would definitely stay there again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was a lovely little hotel, the service was great and the breakfast on the upstairs balcony with a breathtaking view of the mountain were amazing. I would say the rooms are a little old school but to me that is character. People say it can be a little dodgy around La Candelaria at night but i Iwas coming home at all hours of the night and never had any issues. Of course keep your wits about you and you will be fine. I would probably stay uptown next time I'm in Bogota because I found myslelf getting cabs to Parque 93 from La Candelaria a lot. However for me, this location is the most gorgeous to walk around and feels more old and authentic.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Clean comfortable hotel in a central La Candelaria location. Rooms were full of character, really clean and the courtyard areas were lovely. Breakfast also very good. Service was really lovely and our pre arranged taxi from the airport to the hotel was very welcome. Recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Spent 4 days here with friends in February 2013, we all loved it, a really characterful hotel with excellent food if you want to eat in, very pretty buildings in the the old town, well situated for museums, tours etc. Can recommend very highly, we all thoroughly enjoyed out stay.

Room Tip: Don't be in the first courtyard, the dining room is there, but stay in the second courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends