“More like guesthouse than hotel…though still very good value!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Casona del Patio
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   carrera 8 No. 69 _ 24, Bogota, Colombia   |
Ranked #29 of 240 Hotels in Bogota
La Romana, Dominican Republic
“More like guesthouse than hotel…though still very good value!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Casona del Patio is more like a (European style) guesthouse than a hotel…not because of the service, facilities and rooms, but because of the congenial atmosphere. Security and comfort was excellent. Close to many restaurants, cafes, banks, stores and malls. Bogota taxis are safe, cheap (US$7 to Museo de Botero) and reasonable…took the Transmilenio for the experience.

Service, both front desk and breakfast servers, was attentive and very good. Special mention to Alexander, Alejandro and Jazmin on the front desk, who helped out with advice…nothing was too much.

Moved to more comfortable and ventilated (Casa de La Moneda) upper floor room (with outside window) because of very noisy guests above original (internal-Parque Virrey) ground floor room.

Problems with price/night…booking.com vs. (actual) hotel rate. They charged exactly the same to both Colombian nationals and foreign guests (who shouldn't be paying the 16% IVA tax!!!). Booking.com (COP$116,379) website price is misleading. In the end, and despite a lengthy discussion, we paid the hotel's website (COP$135,000) rate which included the IVA tax.
So does this mean that Colombians pay the COP$135,00 + tax (COP$21,600) = COP$156,600? If not, then what happens to the COP$18,621 difference that non-Colombians pay?

For laundry, walk 5 mins for 2 blocks to "Parque Lourdes" Lava Seco, Calle 66 No.8, tel:249.70.72 / 248.09.17, where the very hospitable owners washed and ironed for next day collection for COP$4,000/lb. In comparison, the hotel's rates were very expensive.
[Turn left out of hotel, turn right at T-junction and walk 50m to main road (Carrera 9), turn left and walk100m to major avenue (Calle 67) with Camera de Comercio de Bogota/Citibank building on LHS, cross to other side and bear left, walk 50m and turn right into Carrera 8, walk another 50m and turn left into Calle 66…laundry is 20m on the right, opposite Hoteles America.]

Went to Catedral de Sal, Zipaquira independently, and so much cheaper than guided tour would have cost. See my review “Great independent trip a Zipa!!!” (15 Aug 2013) for how we did it.

Despite this hotel price rate issue, we had a really good stay, and would recommend Casona del Patio because it is close and central enough to most of what touristic Bogota has to offer.

Room Tip: Request room on upper floor with window access to outside. Internal ground floor rooms have no throu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
CasonaPatio, Coordinadora de Reservas at Hotel Casona del Patio, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review, hope to have you soon again in our Hotel Casona del Patio, with respect to tax appointed by you at the time of booking on the website indicated that he had no tax included. we will consider your opinion of the laundry because for us it is very important to your satisfaction and comfort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Indiantown, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

For our anniversary last week, my mother gifted us with a three night stay at this hotel while we were in Bogota. All the rooms are named by different places in the city, ours was called "Casa de la Moneda" or the house of coins. The service was very good, all of the hotel staff are extremely helpful and kind. The rooms are spacious and cozy, they even have a space heater! Since Bogota is so cold it really made our nights better. The patio was so cute! and the restaurant offers good food. The water heater is not always on, so if you wish to take a hot shower at night you just have to call the front desk and ask them to turn it on for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
casonabogota, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Casona del Patio, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Annie:

Thanks for writing about our service; it has been a pleasure to have you as our guest. Please make sure we will take the necessary measures to improve hot water for shower
We hope see you in your next trip to Bogota.

Bets Regards
Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed here for five nights while visiting family. Nice and clean, close to restaurants, a relatively safe area. We would just have liked more hot water for showers. As Americans, we hadn't been aware of the fact that the sewer system in the area doesn't accommodate toilet paper, and a small trash container is provided for that. Shampoo is not provided as part of the package, so bring your own. Soaps are very tiny, even for a hotel; for an extended stay you may want a regular sized bar. A grocery store is within walking distance. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Yes, the rooms are small and basic, but we like that. Cleanliness counts much more than room size! We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Barbara:

Thank you for writing, we want to tell you that we are making improvements to ensure hot water for shower. For us have been a pleasure to have them at Hotel.

Bets Regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here two nights and had a wonderful experience. The front desk staff was incredibly friendly and professional and accomodated all of our requests. We ate at the restaurant both nights because it was convenient and reasonably priced. My only complaint was that the only waitress both nights was not very pleasant and did demonstrated the level of professional service and demeanor that the rest of the staff possessed. Had she been more pleasant our experience would have been a bit more enjoyable. Staying on the topic of the staff, I want to give special shoutouts to Alejandro and Alexandro at the front desk, both of whom provided impeccable service, great advice and were so friendly! And Fabian, who drove us to the airport this morning and chatted with us. He was incredibly pleasant. We parted with Casona del Patio very grateful for their professionality, service, friendly staff, amazing breakfast!, and more. The next time I return to Bogota I will be sure to check out this hotel, if not at least stop by y saludar al staff! Muchas gracias!

• Stayed July 2013
casonabogota, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Casona del Patio, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Keilasi:

Thanks for writing about our service; it has been a pleasure to have you as our guest. Please make sure we will take the necessary measures in order to improve the service at the restaurant. We are constantly training all our staff and will bring your comments into our training sessions.

We hope see you in your next trip to Bogota.

Best regards,
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This place is really a guesthouse rather than a hotel, but it’s perfect for just about every kind of traveler except for business travelers. The staff, property and amenities are great for the price!

The Staff
The staff are great! Most of them can’t speak much/any English except for Oscar. He greeted me the first night out at my cab when I arrived super late and was very helpful. He had asked the cabbie how much he was charging me and the guy said $40,000 COP. He told me that was way too much. Very nice of him to be watching out for a guest. Oscar, and all of the front desk staff members have been very polite and helpful. I even sat and watched a Colombian soccer game with them on my last day today and it was a riot!

There’s also a hotel transport service with a driver name Fabian Torres who is super sweet and friendly. The hotel was trying call a taxi for me to get to a wedding, but none were available. After 30 minutes, I got desperate and asked the hotel if I could hire a car. They hooked me up with Fabian to drive me out of town, wait for about 5 hours and drive me back late at night. The fee was $22,000 COP/hr and he was a really good sport about it. Evidently, you can arrange for the hotel transport service ahead of time for private excursions. Note, it’s actually a truck with an extended cab. But ask for Fabian. He’ll take good care of you!

Also, it’s worth noting that you may consider arranging for the hotel to pick you up when you first fly in. I was accosted non-stop by taxi drivers when I stepped out of baggage claim and was completely overcharged. It was also scary, because I arrived late at night and the taxi driver kept trying to get me to go to another hotel. I wasn’t sure if he was actually going to take me to my hotel and my cell phone wasn’t working.

Take it for what it’s worth, tipping isn’t customary in Colombia, but I think it’s nice if you can. The average Colombian wage is quite low, so I had no problems with tipping $1 USD each morning for my free breakfast and providing a nice, small gratuity to the desk staff on my last day. My only regret is that I missed Oscar on my last day.

The Property
Like I said, this is really a guesthouse. It’s very homey and a great home base if you spend most of your time out than in. I had the Zona G room which came with 2 connected rooms and 3 single beds. It was a shame that I had that much space to myself but it was wonderful. It’s upstairs so you don’t have to deal with people clomping around above you. It was also very sunny and airy with skylights and hardwood floors. There isn’t any heating, but that’s true even in most upscale hotels in Bogota. They do provide you with some heavy blankets, so you just hibernate every night. My room also had a flat screen TV with at least 3 English speaking channels so that was nice. The showers were fantastic with great water pressure and scalding hot water.

Note, Colombia uses the same electrical outlet configuration and voltage as in the US but some of their outlets may only allow for 2 prongs instead of 3 prongs. You may want to bring an adapter if you’re planning on using any 3-pronged electronic devices. My room had both outlet configurations, but I’m not sure what the rest of the hotel is like.

The twin bed I slept on was comfortable enough, but the pillows were pretty hard. The place can be pretty noisy, especially in the mornings so bring earplugs if you’re a light sleeper. If that doesn’t wake you up then maybe the sweet smell of Colombian coffee will!

Every time you enter, the desk personnel will ask to see your room key before you can go upstairs as a security measure. They also lock the doors late at night, but they can buzz you in when you get there. There is always someone manning the front desk 24/7.

The Location
The location was actually perfect! It’s in North Chapinero which is central to the places I wanted to visit. If you really like seeing the life of a Bogotano, walk. I walked up to Usaquen and down to La Candelaria a couple of times taking different routes each time. It was probably about 3-4 miles each way. Also, there is a Carullo grocery store 2 blocks from Casona with a Citibank ATM in it, very handy for sundries and getting cash. Around the block, there are several nice restaurants including Wok, a local Pan-Asian chain. I’m a lone female traveler and walked there at night by myself for some take-out and had no problems at all. You’re also within about a 30 minute walk of the Zona Rosa area if you like the night life and upscale shopping.

The neighborhood is nice and quiet and seems relatively safe. I was alone the whole time and walked to and from the Casona everyday with no problems.

The Amenities
Breakfast comes free with your room, and it’s great! It’s not a chintzy cold breakfast bar like some American hotels provide. You’re given a menu with a list of about 10 different choices, mostly hot breakfast options. You also get a choice of coffee, tea or hot chocolate; croissant or arepa; and orange juice. I loved it! The coffee was fine and the orange juice was fresh squeezed. They also have two traditional Colombian breakfasts called Changua and Calentado that you might try if you’re adventurous. They were very homey and tasty, and gave me a good sense of a typical Colombian breakfast. Jonathon is a waiter there and he can speak pretty decent English as well. I’ve only seen him in the mornings though.

Room service must come by in the afternoon every day, because they never woke me up. Everything was always nice and tidy when I got back, so no complaints there. They only provide you with free hotel bar soap, but they do have a couple of small baskets with “mini bar” items in case you forgot some toiletries or want some last minute snacks.

Check out is at noon, but they’ll store your luggage in a locked office until you’re ready to leave.

I had a completely great experience at this place, because they make you feel at home. I would definitely stay here again if I get to return to Bogota.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
casonabogota, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Casona del Patio, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for your comments, we are really pleased to know that you felt like home in the Hotel. The reviews from our guests are very important for us; we take into consideration every comment in order to improve our service. We hope to see you in a future trip to Colombia.

Bets regards,
Bogota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We had a great stay at Casona del Patio with a group of 10, mostly undergrads and grad students. The hotel was very convenient, the staff was helpful and efficient, and breakfast was delicious. The hotel is very comfortable, although the rooms and the water were not very warm, so bring warm clothes as Bogota can be chilly at night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
casonabogota, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Casona del Patio, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for writing to us, your opinion is very important. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Indeed, Bogota can be chilly at night. Heaters are available in all our courtyard rooms, please be sure that we will take actions to ensure additional heaters will be provided.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed here for one night as part of a tour group. The staff were friendly and the room was simple and clean. The hotel has a nice little courtyard and lounge area with good wifi. The breakfast was included and was very good. The hotel is in a convenient location a short ride from the Candelaria and walking distance to lots of restaurants and the transmilenio public transportation.

I would stay here again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
casonabogota, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Casona del Patio, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
We are happy to know that you liked the hotel and thank you for choosing us to recommend it, we hope your visit next trip to Colombia.

Been to Hotel Casona del Patio? Share your experiences!