“Great hostel in Bogota” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 139 Specialty Lodging in Bogota
Groningen, The Netherlands
“Great hostel in Bogota”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Colombian Dream Hostel is the best place to stay in Bogota. I have stayed here several times and I really love it. The owners are really nice and helpfull and it really feels like home. The hostal is really good located in la Candelaria and close to all the main tourist places, shops, restaurants and buses. The hostel is really clean, has good wifi, nice grafitti in the hostel and is perfect to meet other people.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I started my travels through south america in Bogota and in the Colombian Dream Hostel. Now having traveled and seen a bit more I can write a good reflective review.

I booked for three days, then stayed for over 10! Enough said! ;)

The hostel was such a lovely place, it became my second home. The owners Guilermo and Jenny are absolutely amazing people who have put all of their heart and soul into the hostel. This shows as also the "friends of the hostel" and the cleaning lady Vanessa are absolutely great! Also the people visiting are a certain type of people. I have met a couple of amazing people in the hostel, with who I spent hours (days) of laughter, drinking beer, playing cards and exploring Bogotá.

This hostel is definitely worth staying in!!!

Room Tip: Just visit the hostel!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The main reason for choosing this hostel was the colors!!
Very friendly and helpful staff, good location and value.
Maybe not the best choice for who wants to sleep early due to lack of soundproof but I guess this is a general issue in the area.
Would certainly recommend it!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was our first stay on our five week trip in South America. This was also my first ever hostel so I was pretty much expecting the worst!
Upon arriving late in the night we told the owner we could do with a drink and that we would head down to the bar that is next door to the hostel. As we were walking down the stairs he was bringing us up two beers. I have never felt so welcome. Although the security on the rooms feel a but slack we could not have felt more secure. This was down to the people that own it and the way in which they run it. This hostel set the tone for the rest of our trip. I cannot thank the owners enough.

• Stayed July 2013
Krems an der Donau, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The main reason for giving 5 stars is the personal treatment in the hostal. All of staff members have been always helpful, friendly and communicative. They watched television and played cards with the guests, joined even for going out to a salsa club. You feel like hanging out at a friends place. The hostal itself is nice, clean and well located. It only lacks a bit of comfort concerning the bathrooms (they are clean but a bit too small) and of more comfortable couches in the general areas. But by considering the low price and the nice, personal atmosphere, this place is without doubt a recommendation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
OC California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

As my taxi driver fumed and cursed, going around Candelaria for 10 mins, I thought that maybe I had made a mistake booking this hostel. Once he calmed down and we located the place, I began to relax, while the staff helped me get my bags off the street.
A fancy hotel this is not, but if you value convenience, location and economy as I do, you'll be happy here.
The hostel is colourful, cheery and safe. I had no concerns during my 5 night stay as the staff turned out to be very vigilant in a low key way. Other posters have noted the handy proximity of the bar next door and the late night goings on but it comes with the territory, it's a hostel.
Something that came as a pleasant surprise was the reliable hot water in the shower. I asked and was pointed to a US style storage HW heater, unlike the twitchy califonts normally found in Latin America. Oh, the staff printed out a street map and marked the location of the hostel for me, this detail saved me several times during my stay, a nice touch for those not familiar with the maze that is Bogota.
All in all a nice stay in a clean hostel for a very fair price, can't ask for more, so top marks.

BTW, in Candelaria there are several decent mid level hotels that offer really nice lunch buffets for a pittance ($4 US). It's not "all you can eat" but they serve plenty and with a big glass of fresh juice it's much healthier. Typically they start serving at 12:00 so look out for the "buffet menu" boards outside the doors.

Room Tip: It's a hostel, the experience will vary according to who is in the next bed unless you choose...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Wokingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

A really cool hostel smack bang in the middle of the candeleria. The hostel has just recently undergone refurbishment and has a real funky and bohemian vibe about it. The staff are extremely friendly and more than happy to help. I arrived to this hostel fresh off the plane from Heathrow, and although Bogota was a bit of a culture shock for me, especially as I speak no Spanish, Gilhermo and Jenni just couldn't help enough and I felt instantly relaxed and safe. The hostel has a really cool bar, which is always full of local students and so had a very lively atmosphere. The drinking goes on till the early hours, so this hostel probably isn't for you if you're after a quiet time, but I loved it! 10 out of 10 for me, thanks again guys.

Room Tip: May need ear plugs, but this goes for all of Candeleria not just this hostel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Colombian Dream Hostel? Share your experiences!