“A Comfortable, friendly, fun and respectful stay” 4 of 5 stars

Sayta Hostal
Calle 12B #0-57, Bogota 1000, Colombia (La Candelaria)   |
Ranked #3 of 143 Specialty Lodging in Bogota
Missoula, Montana
“A Comfortable, friendly, fun and respectful stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I love Sayta! The family that runs this business is very helpful, concerned and professional in a casual manner. I stay here everytime I am in Bogota. If they are full, my visit to Bogota is not the same. I consider this place as where I find my friends. I am welcome. A great location in the Candalaria, easy to walk or take bus to anywhere in Bogota.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Korean first
Ushuaia, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Sayta is easily one of my favorites. It’s clean, comfortable, and well located. It has WIFI, breakfast, and a kitchen if you want to cook. When I was there, coffee was made a few times throughout the day which I liked. I found it very easy to make friends at this hostel. The common area upstairs is a nice cozy area to get a little sun and warmth throughout the day.

But the best part about Sayta is the service! It is owned and managed by a Colombian family that made my stay so nice that I can now say it’s my home away from home. It’s rare to find a hostel that gives you that “family” type of atmosphere and I feel this one does. I ended up staying here much longer than expected. This hostel would also be a good option if you want to get to know the local scene. I was shown many nice places around Bogota that only local people go. Thank you John, Steff, and Mom for the unforgettable good times! See you soon!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I stayed in this hostel for 1 night in May 2014.

There was initially a mistake on their part with the airport pick-up service which meant I had to wait for nearly 2 hours in the airport. But I accept this was a genuine & honest mistake so will not judge against them for this in my review.

The hostel appears to be family run. John (the owners son) was really friendly and provided plenty of help and assistance for my very short visit to Bogota. He also provided me with free coffee upon arrival, and arranged for my onward transport to the airport the next morning. He was also on hand at 3am to say farewell which I thought was a very nice touch.

My room was very nice and very clean and despite being on the groundfloor facing the road, I had no problems with outside noise. The bed was also very comfortable.

The toilet/shower rooms were just across the corridor and had lovely hot water so no problems at all there.

The hostel is located 10-15 minutes walk from the main pedestrian avenue of Bogota. Completely fine to walk around during the day but not really very safe walking alone at night.

I paid $22 for my stay which I think it's superb value.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I stayed for 5 nights in the second house of Sayta hostel, which is down a cute stone road directly above the student area. A great location during the day, but not so good at night. As a solo female traveller, I certainly didn´t feel safe walking out at night, even for an early dinner.

The second home/hostel was fine, but I have stayed in better. The bathrooms weren´t cleaned often enough (from what I could see, once every 2 days) and this hostel lacks any atmosphere. The staff are so wonderful and friendly though which makes up for it. They also make fresh coffee in the morning which is a bonus.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed in a large, clean, bright double room with views down the cobbled street and of Montserrat.
Very friendly helpful staff. Owner John happily spends considerable time talking to and helping guests. His mother is there at times to help as well. The hostel has a pleasant, friendly vibe with a kitchen area to meet other guests. There is a good kitchen and fridge available. Breakfast included bread, jam and good coffee. Free wifi.

Hostel looked after our bags for two days before we arrived and let us stay until 9pm the day we left for a midnight flight. John organised a taxi to the airport to ensure we got there safely.

The hostel located very close to major sites within La Candelaria with Plaza Mayor and the Botero Museum only a 5-10 minute walk away. Near the hostel is a selection of bars and restaurants of varying cost and quality, and a laundry, also within a short walk. Great pizza place nearby - ask John. It is also within a comfortable walk of the Transmilenio bus stations which we found convenient for visits to the salt cathedral at Zipaquira and to Villa De Leyva.

If you want a friendly place of good value to stay in Bogota, we recommend Sayta Hostel

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I visited Colombia for about 2.5 weeks in October 2013. I used Bogota as "home base". Initially, I had reservations at another hostel nearby. Though, I decided to move after one day, and was able to make reservations here. This place is AWESOME! It has group and private accommodations, a colorful decor, and a festive ambiance that makes it very easy to meet new people! The hostel is also a good size in that it maintains a 'home' feeling. This place can accommodate most preferences - from the global trekker to the leisurely tourist. John and his family are very personable and very knowledgeable of the area. On occasion, John would join us on group outings for a meal, to take us on walks around the city, or hike up Cerro Monserrate. Apparently, he does the hike on a weekly basis and that is how he stays in shape. :) Haha. You have coffee and break for breakfast. And the wi-fi is a nice touch. My perspective is from the "trekker", and this place performed very well. I highly recommend it! And if this recommendation has any influence on your decision to stay there, please send my regards from "Reyes". They don't have a swimming pool so i didn't rate it, and they don't really have room service as it is not a large facility and the staff are always accessible. You can see more information and photos from this experience at my blog, “Reyes Travels”. Happy Travels!

Room Tip: There is no pool or fitness center. As I was not in need of these facilities, they do not apply to...