“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars

Got a photo?
Add it.
You added 103 Wonderful House to your Saves list
103 Wonderful House
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Carrera 64 No. 103C - 16, Bogota 111711, Colombia   |
Ranked #55 of 162 Specialty Lodging in Bogota
Panama City
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I just spent 3 nights at 103 Wonderful House. I had seen some nice reviews of it on tripadvisor and have been looking for a "homey" boutique place from which to do business on my frequent trips to Bogota. While the people and service levels are very nice...I struggled with the overall stay...almost leaving a day or two early...but I wanted to give it a fair chance.

The pros...friendly people. Very clean building and room. The location is convenient for the Transmellinium system (100 meters away) and central to the overall Bogota city. I could walk a short distance to one of the older malls at the main intersection with many choices of reasonably priced food, stores and bank services. For budget minded tourists it is probably not a bad choice...but for doing business and resting...it was a challenge.

They were very nice about handling laundry for me. Had about 8 shirt/pant items and a weeks worth of underware and socks laundered by next day for around $13 USD. I thought that was a fair price for Bogota.

The problems: NOISE. Calle 64 is a major thorough fare during rush hours morning and night. While this fact makes it a safe street to walk on, it was not conducive to sleep in the morning. Perhaps there are quieter rooms upstairs (there are 6 floors...I was in 311 on the 3rd), but I have a feeling you will hear the traffic from everywhere.

The bed was rock hard. Some people will like this, but I did not rest well on that bed.

I rely on the internet heavily for work when in Bogota. The connection was up and down...sometimes completely off. By the 3rd day we discovered it was probably their wireless router. When they brought me a direct cable for connection, it was steady and fast. Unfortunately the desk location to where the cable plugs in are not compatible and had to use the computer on the bed only.

The room was VERY small compared to reviews I had read. Again, perhaps I should have requested another, but after the first night I wasn't sure I was going to stay the full 3 day reservation.

I should also mention that they have two properties..."100 Wonderful House" and "103 Wonderful House". I had booked online for "100 Wonderful House". When I arrived at the airport, no taxi knew or understood the address...or simply didnt want to take me there because it wasnt a business hotel where they sometimes get a commission for bringing you there. Fortunately I had local cellphone and data to find the location and help the taxista locate the phone and address directly. Unfortunately, when we reached the hotel, they said I was booked at "103 wonderful House" which is newer and more modern. Luckily I got a short ride by one of the administrators to the other location...but if you book on Kayak or booking.com, you may not know which location your reservation really is for.

The breakfast included was VERY basic and the same each morning. Eggs fried or scrambled, fruit of the day, toast, juice and coffee. I have to admit I have been spoiled by so many breakfast buffets at other Colombia hotels that have buffets and omelet stations...this was a let down. Plus...since I was awakened every morning by 5:30 or 6AM, I had to wait an hour before there was any coffee or service downstairs. They should put a small coffee maker in the suites since their service hours downstairs are so limited.

They also had a small refridge...but it was not plugged in and nothing stocked in it. The faucets and toilet in the bathroom were low grade/cheap and towels a bit thin for my tastes.

Again...the people there are so nice, I hate to sound negative...but I have to give my honest review here. I ended up moving to a business class hotel the rest of this week for a bit more money...but much better amenities and sleep.

Room Tip: Dont take 311