“Hotel Ambar: Claustrophobic in Room 222” 3 of 5 stars

Ambar Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Carrera 8 No. 17 - 86, Bogota 11001000, Colombia   |
Ranked #28 of 254 Bogota B&B and Inns
Bogota, Colombia
“Hotel Ambar: Claustrophobic in Room 222”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

My internet research, produced a sweet deal through despegar.com and booking. com of 154.COP for a 3 night four day stay. I walked to Ambar and negotiated the internet price of COP 154 with Valeria, She spoke english and was very helpful with translating with the non english speaking staff at the hotel.

Valeria was nice enough to include a continental breakfast in my 3 day stay. The breakfast included (fruit, juice, pan with mantequilla, cafe and cereal) Breakfast was from 6am to 9am.

My room (222) was verrrry small. My bed was an individual type that only fits one person NOT the doble that was advertised on the internet booking site. So small that I did not have any furniture (dresser drawers) to store my clothes.

My initial room survey, I noticed that I was missing towels. I notifIed staff and they promptly provided me with clean towels and a tall wooden coat rack for storage.

During my 3 day stay, i noticed that my bedcovers, sheets and pillowcases were not changed but my bed was made daily and my room was cleaned.

Ambar hotel has some nice art work on the second floor. They have two comfortable couches on the second floor lobby area where you can watch television on a big lcd screen.

Internet area was clean and both computers were functional throughout the day and night.

My room was located on the side of the courtyard and I had difficulty taking a nap from about 6pm to 8pm. I could hear the music, television, people talking and staff helping hotel customers. I would suggest a room opposite the courtyard.

The area is full of people and many open shops/restaurants on avenida 8. Its a hustle and bustle type of vibe. I felt very safe but at night, the area becomes dark, not many stores open and the area is occupied with the nightowls. The nightowls and dark streets put me on high alert when walking alone in the area.

The hotel can be accessed from the el dorado airport via transmilenio to the transmilenio universidades stop and a five to ten minute walk to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the oposite side of the courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Cagliari
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We booked a room for Ambar hotel via booking, catching a good offer they had. It was cheap - 15 dollars per person, per night. Surely though, the room we got was not one of the pretty ones that there were in the pictures, but a modest, plain room with no view at all (our only window was facing the inside of the building, and I guess it was the only room facing that as from it we could not see any other windows). We had a bed, a desk, two bedside tables with lamps which however had no plugs (they were merely placed there to decorate, but the plugs were taken off the wires. And this was the only decoration in the room), and a tv. The bed was actually very comfortable. The bathroom had a nice, big shower with steaming hot water and a big mirror. Staff was generally very helpful and kind. The faults I found: 1) toilet paper was scarce: a roll literally lasted half a day. I kept asking for more and ended up buying my own. 2) breakfast (not included in the price of our room) was bland: eggs, bread, juice and coffee. No variety at all. 3) the window to our room did not cover the all wall. For some reason there was a gap between the top of it and the ceiling. 4) noise travels easily in the place, so at times I would wake up because people in the lobby were speaking loudly on the phone or listening to music at 7am (it is not the hotel's fault, but if they heard, why didn't they tell them off?). 5) we left our dirty clothes to have them washed and we had to ask at least 5 times to have them back. 24 hours later, they still had not been washed. When I asked them the last time, they told me there was a problem with the drier. When I finally got our clothes back, we had to pay 15 dollars for the laundry, which is way expensive (normal price would be 4!). 6) the location isn't great. The problem is not so much the area - it is right in Candelaria, which is the main tourist attraction in Bogota. But, for some reason, although being the main tourist attraction, there are no real restaurants geared to tourists taste or open late - where by late, I mean after 7pm. Everything closes early, and if you want to have dinner you will be literally stuck. Either you take a taxi to go to Zona Rosa, where the fancy restaurants are, or you order in the hotel (which by all means they will help you do). There are a lot of Chinese restaurants in the street, but avoid them at all costs unless you are willing to risk diahrrea. I took my chances, and I had to spend two days locked in the room. Hygiene is not an option in those restaurants.

As I have already said, staff is generally helpful. Just one guy that works at the reception is a bit funny. He is nice and kind, but a bit disorganised. Ie when we checked in, he let us in the room. When we got back down to pay, he had lost our bill and spent like half hour to look for it. He just seemed confused all the time! Nevertheless, a nice person.

Overall, a decent hotel (I am guessing other rooms are nicer than the one on special offer we had) but in a location that is surprisingly not geared for tourists.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
jersey city
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I had reservations to stay at the hotel this January as I had reviewed the hotel highly last year.\

Unfortunately the hotel, on the Internet, listed the wrong number and I called for days.
I ALSO WROTE THEM THAT I COULD NOT CONTACT THEM WITH NO ANSWER.

I called another hotel and they said that Ambar had changed their number and was actually one of the numbers of the web page. I called and wrote the hotel to advise them of this and that I would cancel since I couldn't reach them. I got a 'so sorry' response.

I cannot review them now but their correspondence , in my opinion, stinks. I offered them a very helpful service and just got a so sorry and thanks. They are , btw located in a miserable area.

Room Tip: I did not travel in February, 2014 but was there in January 2013 and wrote a review under 'terve...
Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here one night after a late arrival in Bogota. It's a nice hotel, clean, decent rooms, and a reasonable price. A few things you need to know. The area is fine during the day, at night, it's not an area I would walk, in fact we didn't want to leave the hotel. If your arriving for a one night stay it's fine, but if you want to go out for dinner, drinks, or a walk when the sun goes down, your probably best staying closer to the centre of the old town which is fine at night.

Stayed January 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

This place turned out to be way better than expected. The staff was super friendly and helpful and the location was within walking distance of so many great things. 24 hour front door staff watching over the place was a bonus for sure. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a clean and cozy hotel for a very low cost!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

They had a computer glitch that double booked the hotel. They found us a new place for the one night and for the price difference the taxis. Very friendly staff that speak English. Good location. Don't take a room on the street, but that is the same in any large city. Good value.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed in June, 2013. Here are the things I think you should know about this hotel:
- It is spotless!
- It is affordable. At $40 USD/night (with a discount for paying in cash) this was easily the cheapest hotel we stayed in while on our trip to Colombia.
- It is comfortable. Hot water (Bogota was quite chilly in June), comfortable beds, nice warm and cozy decor/lighting (something we found incredible rare during our trip...all the other hotels had harsh headache-inducing lighting). A flat screen tv for those that are so inclined.
- The storage situation is fine unless you plan on being on an extended business trip or something. Our room had a desk with a drawer, and foot stool, and two bedside tables with drawers. We found this to be just fine for our short stay. I had one nice dress which I hung over the bathroom door. Not really the issue people are making it out to be.
- The staff was pleasant, especially Graciela (who might be the owner?) BUT, no one speaks English. This was fine for us as I speak decent Spanish but if you're not fluent enough to have the necessary check-in/check-out conversations, this isn't the place for you.
- Yes, the outside rooms are noisy. Personally, I didn't expect anything different given that Bogota is a big city and naturally has city sounds just like New York or Miami etc. If you are easily bothered by music, talking, horns, etc. then you should probably consider staying outside of a major city. It didn't bother us at all.
- The location is good. It is within a fairly short walk to plaza de bolivar and the candelaria district and a short cab ride to zona rosa. The neighborhood is a little sketchy. I was not about to go walking down the street alone after sundown but we had the hotel call us cabs when we wanted to go out at night and we were fine.
- We felt perfectly safe in the hotel. They have a locked gate in front of their doors and there is always staff on at all hours to let you in/out.
- Free breakfast was enough to get up and going. Fresh pressed juice and toast with jam and butter. Coffee.

That's about it. We did have an issue when we first arrived - the water in our room was not working - the staff apologized and helped us try to fix it, when it didn't work they apologized profusely and said they would have it taken care of within the hour and promptly called the maintenance man to the room. We went out for food and by the time we came back everything was fine. They also did not have our reservation (which we had made through a third party) but it wasn't an issue. We found this to be a VERY common problem throughout the country. I suggest calling ahead and confirming with an actual, live person rather than trusting the internet to get it right.

All in all we enjoyed this hotel very much and would absolutely recommend/stay again.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise ask for an inner/south side room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ambar Hotel? Share your experiences!