“Surprise luxury” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 226 hotels in Bogota
Seattle, Washington
“Surprise luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I was transferred here after the Dann Norte overbooked and couldn't honor my reservation. I'm not sure that I was meant to end up here, as although I listened as the man at the Dann Norte called to let them know I was being sent here, the man at the front desk wasn't expecting me. (I noticed we passed a hotel called the Dann Carlton down the road). Following a call to the Dann Norte, my $125 rate was honored and I was given a suite - one of the most enormous rooms I have ever seen. I am usually a backpacker, but wanted more standard accommodation for the short night of my layover so I could sleep. I certainly looked ridiculous in that suite with my backpacks!

Everything was clean, but I found a huge piece of glass on the floor near the bar, so housekeeping may have done a rapid job of vacuuming. I ordered pizza from room service, which arrived within 20 minutes and tasted excellent. Minibar prices were outrageous, so I was glad this was available at 11:30 PM.

I'm just sorry I only had 6 hours to enjoy this room and needed to spend 80% of it sleeping! I also have to say that the cab they put me in to the airport the next morning was the nicest I experienced in Colombia - new and clean and I think the seats were leather, but of course pricier than most. This hotel stay was beyond all expectation, especially given the circumstances.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

228 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

Perhaps its the automatic weapons held by the MPs at each corner around the hotel, but I don't get a sense of confidence here. The Internet only works after you are given a PIN by the front desk, then call an engineer, who isn't there and who does not call back, who finally installs your Internet. There was a small, used shampoo bottle under the coffee table, a bit more mold than I like to see in the Shower, heavily armed security in flack jackets in the lobby. The reception tried to be polite, and the bellman was pleasant enough. But perhaps I'm accustomed to the tranquility (!) of Bolivia, Argentina, Chile and Peru. This place is creepy. Is the rest of Bogotá an armed camp, or did I just hit it on a bad day? Time will tell. But I'm looking for other lodgings

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

My second stay in this hotel, my last one was back in Dec -06. Must say my just recent stay was better than last. Think the hotel recently has undergone a renovation. Some rooms in some sections appeared to have gotten a face lift.

Last stay in Dec -06 was horrible. They had sold me room on the 2nd floor just above the breakfast hall where a Xmas party was arranged. It was impossible to be in that room. Took some time but they managed to switch me to another room. They should not have sold me that room in the first place. First impression lasts.

This time we were a little bit ahead of time to check-in, yet my colleagues got rooms. I was kept for a good 20 min at the counter without getting any info on progress. Unfortunately the young front-desk lady's English was poor. Eventually I was informed (via someone else) that they had no room free yet and I had to come back half an hour later. That service behavior made all of us standing there perplexed.

We got a little voucher for a "free drink" in the hotel bar which we utilized one night before going out for supper. That was a nice gesture, but the staff in the bar were so slow. We were in a hurry and had to remind the waitress twice in a friendly manner before we got our fruit punches. No up-sell there unfortunately..

Liked the renovated room, although the bed was hard as stone. Missed a safe box. Not surprised reading another TA guest's experience on house-keeping who just had taken one of his shirts for unexplained reasons. Just as I had checked-in and entered the room, a guy came into my room to check the mini-bar. I put up the "privacy" sign after that but the feeling lingered on that I did not really feel secure there.

The breakfast is great if you get there early! Especially all the variety of fresh fruit is fantastic. On the Saturday morning we were down for breakfast a quarter to ten and they were really short of breakfast supplies. Surprisingly they did not fill up the empty plates, yet more guests entered for breakfast.

The flower decorations in the main lobby are so adorable! Good job!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Sao Paulo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

First time in Colombia, I didn´t know where to stay, so took advise from my corporative travel agency.
Although the room was nice, I am sure there are better deals in the city.
Service tried to be very friendly (it´s one of their motto), but there was some minor problems, like no answer to room service (I had to try 15 min later), long time to get a internet card, etc.
Breakfast was average, but far from a 4/5 star hotels. Gym was below critical (few and very, very old equipment), but they are building a new one (I could see, there are already new equipment).
Something they might easily improve: make an internal communication between the two towers. It´s very unpleasant to go from one tower to other via walk side, for dinner or to gym.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

It's typical to lock up valuables, travel documents and anything important...but at this hotel you have to lock your clothes away too! I had my suits, along with my informal outfits, hanging in my closet. On my last night at the Casa Dann Carlton, someone took one of my shirts without my permission! I have no idea why - I didn't fill out a laundry ticket, and laundry was closed on that day (Sunday). The shirt was simply hanging in the closet. When I discovered one of my shirts was gone, I immediately called the hotel mgmt about the missing shirt. After a couple of phone call exchanges, the hotel mgmt called to tell me that housekeeping took the shirt. Why? I have no idea...they did not leave me a receipt saying they did so, and I had no need for the shirt to be laundered - I was leaving the next day at 6am! It was very suspect...I suggest locking anything you want to keep when staying at this hotel.

I was surprised at how unclean the bathtub looked...I regretted not bringing shower shoes! Housekeeping did a good job with the making the beds. They don't vacuum the carpets though. Luckily I did bring slippers.

This is not an international quality hotel, so don't expect staff to understand or speak English well. Like others who have stayed at this location, I experienced the hotel front desk staff's poor ability to speak English, as well as with the spa & dining staff.

The breakfast is good, if you focus on the fresh fruit.
I'd give this place a terrible rating, but since they recovered my shirt, I'm giving it an okay.

• Liked — beds
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

I am completely English traveling to Bogota on business. Unfortunately very few people could speak English, and I needed to know the term "Un poco" because that was how they answered "Usted hablo inglese?"
The room was similar to a Quality Inn in Canada or the US but big enough definitely for me. There is nothing new about the hotel as it seemed to be built in 1985.
The pool on the 8th floor was a trick to get to, but very clean and warm. The gym was large and has 3 treadmills and a lot of other equipment.
The breakfast was very good and the food was very good. I'd definimtely try the "Ajiaco". It is delicious around 6 PM.
They do allow dogs and there was one that barked a lot, but I couldn't blame it.
Internet per day was 20,000 pesos. That seemed to get expensive after a while.
Very nice neighborhood - never felt unsafe.
The maids always wanted to make sure I had everything i needed without a tip.

• Liked — The food, the room is kept very clean, the safey factor
  • Disliked — Not enough people confident in their English
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Carlsbad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2007

I've stayed in flea-bag inns and had better experiences than what I've had here. After spending two nights here, and being booked for two weeks of a business trip, I plan to spend my day finding another hotel. The noise level here is ridiculous and the manager couldn't care less. I barely got four hours of sleep last night because someone booked a party which could be heard throughout the entire hotel. If I wanted a disco, I would have rented a room in one.

• Liked — Nice coffee at breakfast.
  • Disliked — THE NOISE and the inflexible management.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Casa Dann Carlton Hotel & SPA? Share your experiences!