“Quiet boutique hotel with a bed and breakfast feel and a 5* price tag” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Medina Hotel

You added Casa Medina Hotel to your Saves list
Casa Medina Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carrera 7, 69A-22 | Cundinamarca, Bogota, Colombia   |
Ranked #28 of 236 Hotels in Bogota
Melbourne, Australia
“Quiet boutique hotel with a bed and breakfast feel and a 5* price tag”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is not the style of hotel I normally stay at and in all honesty I probably would not go back. But that is my taste and for some this would quite possibly be a very enjoyable experience.
Firstly it has an excellent location and a good vista. It clearly was a high profile palace (generous description) in its day and even now is the stand out architecture in the area. Internally it is not so grand but the decor has a historical feel and the furniture, at least in the rooms, is chunky and made of real wood/leather. This is blended with a somewhat odd modern feel including boutique twists like iPads in the room to browse and order guest services.
The rooms themselves are spacious, I had a corner suite, wooden fooring and beams in the roof (on level 4). The bathrom brings back in the modern touch and whilst they are spacious and functional (large shower area but no bath) it just did not seem to fit with the decor in the lounge area. The beds are the size of a moderately sized football pitch and very comfortable. The food did not excite me but as this is my first time to Bogota this may just be relative. One downer from my perspective was that room service and the terrace bar closes at 11pm - the bar by the way is almost deserted so clearly there are more happening places to go near by. So early to bed for all - fortunately the rooms have an excellent cable network and a well stocked mini bar.
So who would this hotel appeal to? Well busness folks who need local access would find it comfortable. Older travellers will probably appreciate that it is so quite and quaint. And young couples may well find it romantic. But not for families or party goers (or anybody else who needs stimulous).

Room Tip: Higher floors have a view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We just spent two nights at the Casa Medina and loved the hotel; we are planning to come back. We were there to visit our son who lives nearby and feel that we discovered a neighborhood gem. The public spaces and rooms are very comfortable, spacious and modern. Of the three hotels we stayed in Colombia, this was by far the best. The staff were extremely attentive. We did notice that the hotel seemed pretty empty and we weren't sure if this was because it was a holiday weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main avenue to cut down on road traffic sound. Our room was towards th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

If you have to go to Bogotá, Casa Medina is the right place to stay. This boutique Hotel is a crown jewel, which I call the Alcazar de Bogotá. It is much more than an beautiful palace. It is lovely, quiet, elegant, sophisticated, tranquil and safe! Casa Medina is an oasis of peace in solace for the stress of the city. Without a doubt, this is the finest and most exquisite hotels in Bogotá, by far a world class Hotel. The staff is friendly, attentive, mindful, polite and pleasing. The ambiance is romantic, charming. The architecture is gorgeous and the food is exceptional. The rooms are very comfortable, clean and pleasant. In other words, Casa Medina could be me home in Bogotá!

Room Tip: Best rooms are on the fifth floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Many years ago I had the great pleasure of staying at the Casa Medina and went away certain that this was the ideal boutique hotel before there was a vogue for 'boutique' hotels. I remember that you did not check-in at a desk but were taken to a flowered patio, given an orange juice and welcomed as if to a fine home. I counted over 100 roses in a giant vase at the end of a hallway. Faxes arrived rolled with a little gold seal. It was perfect.

At a visit in July, the great personal charm had been replaced by an i-pad in the room that was supposed to access hotel services (that didn't work) and modern efficiency has replaced historic kindness and service.

Breakfast was not included in the already high cost and the charges were horrendous.

It is still a beautiful house full of flowers and nice paintings but the very things that made it special are, sadly, gone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My flight arrived earlier at Bogota, then I went to the hotel when it was about noon, the room that I had reserved wasn´t ready at that time, but they allowed me to take a shower at a different room due to the fact that I had a meeting later that day. I left my bags ready to be transferred to the room assigned to me from the beginning. At night when I went back to the hotel I was greatly surprised with a room upgrade. I loved the musical duet who was singing that night at the restaurant. I surely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This hotel was our first stop on our first trip to South America and what a disapointment.
The hotel itself is nice but my main gripe was that I didn't get what I agreed with their reservations department 3 months in advance.
I confirmed a Grand Suite with a city view, marble bath & breakfast + fruit included.
First we were given a room which wasn't a Grand Suite. I argued the case and at first was told there were no Grand Suites available. Then suddenly one became available. Nice room but not the one I had booked, no marble bath nor city view.
The next morning I had to argue with staff that breakfast was included and incredibly had to do the same the following day. Despite showing the documentary evidence (my confirmation), I received no apology just a begrudging acceptance that they were wrong. Indeed to make me even more frustrated I was charged for a small bowl of fruit at breakfast. Again I pointed out that this was included in the price but despite asking to see the manager I was still charged!
By this time I had given in. Everything was a battle. Considering the amount we were being charged for 2 nights I didn't expect such service.
Another small niggle - I was confirmed a price in writing on the original confirmation for an airport transfer. Guess what - yes I was charged a higher price, only a few dollars more but aggravating nonetheless.
So in summary, a nice enough hotel, although I agree with a previous writer that the atmosphere was dead, but the service was poor and my confirmation meant little.
By the way, I wasn't going to submit this article but I asked on 3 seperate occasions to discuss my feelings with the manager but he/she was never available and even instructed the receptionist to charge my fruit anyway.
Comparing this hotel to the J W Marriott, which we stayed at on the way back, is not a correct comparison as the JW is in a much higher league

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

An old mansion house in Bogota on Carrera 7 (main business drag) with lots of very good restaurants in the streets behind the hotel. Casa Medina and its sister hotel the Charleston are both boutique hotels rather than chains and the Casa Medina is a popular location for business breakfasts. I would rate the CM alongside the JW Marriott as the best hotels in Bogota but with one warning - the more you go the lower down the ranking of rooms you fall! Enjoy your first visit when you will jopefully be given one of the spectacular old rooms with a working fireplace or make sure you say it is your first vist when you check in!

Room Tip: As for the rooms in the old part of the building
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Casa Medina Hotel? Share your experiences!