“Loving my stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 224 hotels in Bogota
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Loving my stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

I'm currently at the Embassy Suites Bogota with my husband and two small kids, which makes a suite necessary. We're using Hilton points for our week stay. The folks here are just wonderful! The room is large and nicely appointed. The service is outstanding. I only speak English but staff speak enough English that this has not been a problem; most of the time they anticipate my needs before I ask.

When we arrived, my toddler was screaming about his interupted nap; the kind folks at the front desk tried to cheer him up and rushed forward with warm milk in a kids cup to comfort him. After we arrive in our room, they called up to see if he wanted any soup. Our specific room did not have a sofa bed, so they made up a roll-away bed for my older child and a pack-n-play for the toddler. When we return to our room, both bed and pack-n-play are made with their toys/dolls tucked in...a nice touch from our housekeeper.

We love the free breakfast buffet, which has enough local food to please my Colombian-American husband and enough American-style food to make this gringa feel comfortable. Coffee is great (of course), eggs to order, multiple fresh juices, fresh fruit, breakfast pastries, cold meats and cheeses, bacon, pancakes, soups, sausages, arepas, etc.

We've ordered room service several times. It's been fast, large portions, delicious, and reasonably priced. One of my complaints about Bogota is the lack of green vegetables; ES room service has huge green salads (get the appetizer size), huge club sandwiches, and generous and delicious soups (try the ajiaco).

We rented a car and park in the hotel garage without difficulty...much easier than getting a taxi since we have two carseats. My husband drives...I don't have the nerve here. Haven't tried the managers reception, gym, or spa services. No pool at this location.

The bathtub is HUGE, with lots of hot water and good water pressure. Lots of fluffy towels. Very quiet toilet. Ample toiletries. Good blackout curtains. The bed is VERY comfortable; I've slept like a baby. The roll-away bed is also comfortable.

The room is a true suite. We have a king-sized bed behid a door that closes. The living room is ample size, even with the roll-away bed in it. The tub/toilet are behind another door. The bathroom sink area connects the bedroom and living area. There is also another sink in the entry area. The suite has two flat-screen TVs...many of the stations are in English with Spanish subtitles.

Everyone--the front-desk staff, bell staff, breakfast staff, room-service and our unseen housekeeper--have been wonderful. They've gone out of their way to make us and the kids feel welcome.

This is our second stay here. We'll absolutely be back here our next time in Bogota

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

276 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

Everything about this hotel was great. The location, the condition and especially the people who work there. We were there 3 nights in March and have nothing accept good things to say. They were polite, helpful, very friendly and most everyone spoke English. The breakfast was amazing every morning. The "happy hour" was lots of fun. We even went back one night just to visit with the people we had met there.
The front desk staff were wonderful in directions and advice. Everything they told us was right on. We love Colombia, and especially Bogota. Highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

Stayed 3 nights here on Hilton points and, given that it was free, the hotel was awesome. Amenities were great, as were all the freebies: nightly happy hour, amazing buffet breakfast (truly one of the best "free" breakfasts I have seen--quite a spread), and free massage! It was nice to be pampered after hoofing it around Bogota all day. The hotel is ideally situated among some of Bogota's top restaurants, including Rafael and Casa Vieja, although it is far from the main tourists sights and the Zona Rosa. If you are a business traveler, this hotel is perfect. For tourists, the location is a bit removed and the staff not very knowledgeable about attractions and logistics.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Westchester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

Pros: Good and upscale location with many dining options. A bit of walk to shopping malls but fine in good weather. Spacious room with good beds. Nice tub pillow. 2 TVs. Very nice breakfast spread. Busier weekdays with business folk. Great and helpful staff. Pretty good value weekends in particular.

Cons: Furniture needs an update, but signs indicated this is about to happen.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

I stayed here for two weeks on business and found it an excellent base.
The split between a living and sleeping area makes the room much more comfortable and for me makes it easy to sleep (no buzzy fridge by the bed).
The staff are wonderful - very friendly and helpful.

The room I was in was a bit aged but there was a sign in the room explaining that the hotel is in the process of being refurbished and they hadn't got to my room yet. A nice touch.

The food was mostly very good - didn't warm to the desserts but I found that to be the case everywhere in Bogota. Room service was quick. Breakfast was a bit hit or miss for me. The juices varied each day and while some were lovely others ... not so much. The cooked breakfast didn't appeal although the omlette bar was very good.

I didn't really do the happy hour thing as I was by myself but it seemed popular.

The hotel is near to a lot of restaurants but there isn't much else nearby.

Overall i found the hotel comfortable and friendly and suited my trip very well. The only downside was that internet is US$10 a day which seems very high in this day and age.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
los angeles, California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Hard to find but very nice, central location by Chapinero.
Stayed there two nights, not consecutive.
First day we checked in early (they let us check-in in the early morning even though the hotel was fully occupied) and all was a breeze, the rooms are large and spacious, beds were comfortable, very clean and great toiletries, possibly most expansive set of toiletries I've ever experienced (included a comb and nail file).
I don't think the roms have central air b/c there was a large white machine next to the TV that I think was an AC unit but we didn't need to use it. Rooms were quiet and well-laid out. Only mishap on first stay was they did not explain when you enter you have to put in your room key into a slot by the door to activate the lights, once we figured this out all was good. Also it was very useful that the hotel has their own car/taxi service which you can charge to your hotel room, convenient and much safer than street cabs.
Two days later we stayed for another night, this time the hotel was completely empty and wihtout asking if we had a smoking group they put all of us into three smoking suites which I thought was pretty ridiculous. The rooms stunk with cigarette odor so we had to switch rooms. Overall staff was pleasant and the hotel very nice, open atrium type design, you do need hotel key to activate elevator. Room rate included breakfast which was very nice, fresh fruit and fresh fruit juices were phenomenal!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

My wife and two children (ages 1 and 4) just completed a nine-night stay at the Embassy Suites Rosales, Bogota. In generally, Embassy Suites hotels are ideal for us since we can put the children to bed in the bedroom and then retire to the "living room" until our bedtime. Plus, the children love the breakfast selections.

Above the general positives about Embassy Suites hotels, we found this particular hotel to be well located, fairly priced (particularly on the weekends) and staffed with friendly people. We particularly enjoyed the bell staff and the breakfast waitresses (and egg lady), all of whom gave our kids a lot of friendly attention. The neighborhood in which the hotel is located felt very safe and, indeed, we went out walking in the evenings without any problems whatsoever. The hotel is able to arrange for private car transportation quickly, but after a couple of days, we settled in with normal taxis, which are abundant, safe (in our experience) and cheap.

It is true, as some of the reviewers have said, that the music in the lobby in the evenings can be heard in the living room of the suite. And some street noise can be heard in the bedroom. But we did not find this a problem and we had no trouble sleeping through the night. The music is actually very good. I do not know if the harp player is a regular or was just featured the week we where there, but she is fantastic -- undoubtedly one of the best musicians I have ever heard. And she even played at breakfast one day and spontaneously broke out into some children's songs for our kids. All the other musicians we heard there were very good, too.

The front desk staff was good also and attended to our needs quickly, as did the chambermaids. One day we left a note in the room that the shower head was not working and when we returned in the afternoon, we had a nice new adjustable shower head. Another day, we left a note that the hair dryer had stopped working and returned to a new hair dryer. They also tucked in my son's teddy bear after making the bed, a nice touch. Even thought this seems primarily like a business hotel, nice touches like this made us very welcome as vacation travelers.

We did have one billing misunderstanding on the final day, but the manager, Mr. Bayona, handled it quickly and courteously and to our satisfaction. Just be aware that the hotel charges a per-person per night insurance fee that is not listed when making a reservation on the Embassy Suites or HHonors websites. This appears to be a standard charge in Bogota hotels, but it seems to me Hilton should list it.

A quick word about Bogota in general, especially for those considering traveling to Bogota with children. We highly recommend it!!! Yes, people will look at you like you are crazy if you tell them you are taking kids to Bogota. But do it! We absolutely had the best vacation of our lives. Bogota is a fascinating city and we could have easily spent another week there without doubling back on ourselves. We felt more secure in Bogota than most other of the major world cities we have visited, including New York and London. We are so glad we did not let the US state department website scare us away. Yes, some of the general tips apply when traveling anywhere, particularly in any large city. You should be careful, not flash cash, etc, stay away from certain areas at night, etc., anywhere you go in the world. But not even once did we anyone try to scam us or give us any sense of danger. After a couple of days or getting a sense of our surroundings, we began to hail cabs on the street and never had any problem. We found taxi drivers -- and virtually everyone else we met -- friendly and helpful. (I believe we had one taxi driver give us a "tourist price" -- approximately $6 for what I felt should have been a $4 ride, but that was very minor. ) Taxis are very cheap and you should be able to travel from the hotel to La Candelaria, or in the other direction to Usuaquen for about $4. That was a real bargain for a family of 4. We also found the "bus rapid transit" system, the Transmilineo, very useful, although taxis were so cheap, it usually made more sense to take a cab. We also found the airport experience just fine, and substantially less stressful than the Miami airport.

So, to summarize, GO TO BOGOTA!! Stay at Embassy Suites! Have a great time! Hopefully we will be able to return soon.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Bogota-Rosales? Share your experiences!