“Some is 4 stars some is 2 stars...good hotel overall!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #215 of 251 Hotels in Bogota
Palm Beach, Florida
“Some is 4 stars some is 2 stars...good hotel overall!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

OK, I was a bit skeptical before arriving due to some reviews I had read. But due to prices I ended up choosing Crowne Plaza Tequendama. I have to disclose I am a fan of HIlton Family and lately giving a chance Intercontinental Hotel Group family due to my Priority Club Status.

First the good things...
1. Checking in and out was a breeze and no major problems.
2. Hotel location is very good, right now it doesn't look great due to major construction of the city's metro bus system. But Malls, stores, other hotels, attractions are in the area and the area is secure. It is not the nice area of Bogota where nice restaurants and hotels are. Hotels in the nice area go for 2x or more the rate.
3. Italian restaurant within the hotel is very good, good service, good food and good prices.
4. Security in the hotel is very good, there is some military office in the complex, so there are armed soldiers in every area, it looked to me like a "no problems at all area anytime day or night".
5. I was allowed to have breakfast in their executive floor, nice views and great service, a bit limited menu compared to other executive floors I have seen. The have evening snacks and courtesy drinks, but they close at 8pm but by 7:45 the staff is taking away things...they never denied anything I requested (very polite and great service) even if it was gone, but I never requested anything before 8. I pointed out to them that they should say service closes at 7:45. They just smiled.
6. My room was clean, and in very good shape. Bed was comfortable and no noise. You can tell the decor is somewhat outdated, but my assumption is that the hotel is from 1950 and back from the last remodel, the rooms were 5 stars, so even today they look outdated but in nice shape and classy. Flat screens are there, but no High Def channels and very few English channels (but that is not the hotel problem). The bathroom is spacious and nice, but the shower might allow water out so I had to put a towel to make sure glass door kept as much water inside the shower area, still I found myself using towels as mats due to around a liter of water that would spill out of the shower regardless of the towel to prevent this.
For the hotel the problem is that if the guest doesn't do this, they will have to replace the carpet in the bedroom very soon and often.
7. Wireless internet was not a problem anywhere I was in the hotel.
8.Mall next to the hotel has nice little stores, most of them independent, there are some very good cafes and restaurants, but they close at 9pm. Secure ATMs are in the area too.

The bad things:
1. The gym...it has great potential and great service, but the cardio machines are like somebody else discarded them, no tv at all in front of cardio equipment, the lights in there make it look like it's some gym in a warehouse. They need some remodel for this area ASAP. Make it more inviting, the plain white walls, lack of background music or tv makes it look creepy. The wet areas in the middle of it (co ed), are just odd. It has great space to create something to brag about.
2. The elevators, could be made to look great if stained darker, the wood would still look great and it would highlight the brass that is kept in great shape all the time. With the light color wood, it clearly shows all the patches on the wood.
3. The lobby has great high ceilings, but other than the couches, there is nothing taking advantage of such great room, it shows it age and lack of designer touch. This is the first impression for arriving guests, remodel to tell the guest they chose a great hotel. It's only a matter of small changes and touches to take advantage of it. The cafe there could be a greeat asset, but one can barely notice it. And you can't tell if it's a bar or a cafe. The other bar/pub is totally hidden down a few steps, make some signs to let people know about it.
4. Room staff....they staff for room service, courtesy treat delivery or snack bar check, they have to knock or ring doorbell and WAIT, give time for someone to get out of bed....I found myself having to lock it after the few times they came in within 5 seconds of ringing the door bell, because they would just not wait and come in. One day they will encounter a naked guest with those tactics. LOL
5. Virreyes (not sure if that is the name, a mixed cuisine restaurant with views to the street). Service was mediocre, but I think my server was in training. Food was a hit or miss. Drinks were mostly a miss unless they were bottled. I did have a good steak, but a sure bet go to the Italian one in the hotel or the cafe at the end of the mall (outside the hotel within same complex). I can't praise enough the cafe, full very complete menu, great service, great portions and great prices. (It's a chain I saw all over Bogota, but a very good one kind of like an IHOP or Denny's type of place but much nicer). In that little mall there are two of them, one has a more limited menu than the one on the corner with "full menu". Great prune pie!
6. The pool has an extra charge, but with that size of a pool, is not worth it. It looks like it was forced in there so the hotel could have a pool, it might have to do more with stars than actually being able to have a pool. They did what they could with the space, but they should not charge for it. Although the number of rooms could mean the pool is packed all the time. Think of it like a big luke warm jacuzzi.

Overall the hotel is very good, crowne plaza mgmt might cringe a bit if they see their brand on this property, but the hotel has great potential to be EXCELLENT. The staff is working great already, they have a restaurant that wont disappoint (Italian one), and they have rooms that meet basic plus needs. There is a lot of potential for improvement, gym, other restaurants, common area decor/design, room decor and minor details updating and exec floor menu timing and tv. Overall you won't be disappointed especially if you saw what other nice hotels charge per night. But competition will heat up as some other hotels are updating and upgrading in Bogota, I hope Crowne Plaza stays ahead with this great potential property.

Room Tip: In your room before you shower, use a towel to keep water from getting out of the shower area. For f...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Valueskr

Brit cultural ambassador
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Do NOT book this hotel. Service was appalling. Bar, coffee shop and everything else closed Sat, Sun and Monday. Staff completely disinterested and would not respond to anything.
Hotel had a sports convention over the weekend and everything was geared towards that only. It is situated in downtown Bogota, not a great area, that is now a huge building site.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Bogota hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

The hotel sent a shuttle to collect me from the airport at no charge. Most of the staff speaks English. I felt perfectly safe and secure with the watchful eyes inside and out. The taxi driver showed me how to walk to some of my appointments and I appreciated his honesty. (He could have easily driven me around the block and I wouldn't have known, as this was my first time in Bogotá.) Breakfast was included and there was a nice assortment of items from which to choose. When I had difficulty getting online in my room, 2 techies came up to assist instantly after I called for help. I dined one evening in the on-premise restaurant and was very pleased with both the service and meal. Although I didn't have the opportunity to use it, there was a fitness room in the hotel. All in all, I was very pleased with this hotel and would not stay anywhere else when I return to Bogotá.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

To be fair, we did not stay at this hotel and here is why:

When was the last time that you tried to contact a luxury hotel by email several times over the course of a few weeks and still wait for an answer?
OK, email communication in Latin America is not as common as in other parts of the world. But a simple e-mail inquiry about the operating times of their Airport shuttle should be answered within a few working days, right?

Well, the Crowne Plaza Tequendama never responded to any of our mails. We sent at least four mails, none bounced... so this can't be the explanation.

Responsiveness to email is generally a good indicator of the attitude towards hospitality in a luxury hotel. This place definitely does not live up to the IHG group's standards.

We canceled our reservation at the Tequendama Crown Plaza: having an early flight out of Bogota we didn’t want to risk of having to spend $40 on an overpriced (secure) taxi just because the Hotel shuttle is not yet running. Of course we still don't know at what times their shuttle actually runs?

We booked a room at the brand new "Holiday Inn Airport instead". They have a complimentary airport shuttle from 5am – 11pm.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Zutphen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

we visite this hotel 6 times and we have good memory`s of it when i able to come back i visit it again good and nice rooms we have our kid with us who sleep in the second room
very good contact with the gente in the clup ,nice food and kofie

Room Tip: we like the junior suite`s
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Robbert1844
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We were in the Tequendama for a business event, and this was well taken care of. The rooms are nice (mine had a good view), security seems very good, there is a nice restaurant across the road and the location is central. Although the hotel is now part of a chain, I believe, it still exudes some 'grand' charm. Breakfast is very good and if you can get a reasonnable price, I would recommend it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Moritz73
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I had a terrible experience staying at this hotel, I don´t understand why it´s considered one of the best in town. Never staying here again.

I can list a couple of specific problems I had:

- No hot water: In some days there´s just not hot water at all, after 3 days complaining they confessed that it would not be possible to fix it and offered me to change the room just in the day before I was leaving, which made me anticipate my return

- Smelly towels: I could not understand why, but the towels smells so bad!

- Too noisy: Not only the air conditioning make weird noises all the time, but also the constructions around the hotel brings brings loud noises even during the night, 24x7, I was frequently woken up by the construction noises, windows cancels no noise at all

- Dangerous neighborhood: Since it´s very dangerous to walk around the hotel, the only available "safe" cabs made available for guests charges at least 50% more than the city taxi rate, and no other option is made available. I felt like extortion.

- No swimming pool: Isn´t it one of the best hotels in town?

The PEOPLE on the hotel is great, they´re very kind and helpful all the time, if I had to choose one GOOD thing on the hotel it would be definitely the people working there, they´re very kind and helpful, unfortunately they could not solve my problem, but it was not their fault.

Room Tip: Dont get rooms ending on
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business