“Great Hostel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 127 Specialty lodging in Bogota
Ithaca, New York
“Great Hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stayed at this hostel for 4 nights total over 2 stays. It's in a great location between La Candelaria and Zona Rosa. The neighborhood is great to walk around and the hostel is only a 10 min walk to the TransMilenio. The common space in the hostel is very welcoming and the bathrooms were always clean. Water pressure is great too. The beds are very comfortable but if you're down on the main floor, it can be a little loud sometimes with noise coming in from the lobby area. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Also, when there was a mistake with my booking and all the dorms were full, they let me stay in the private room they had inadvertently booked me in for the price of a dorm. A lot of other hostels wouldn't do that. Both times I was there, there were large groups of friends staying so if you want to meet other travelers this hostel might not be the best for that.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed with my partner for one night at La Niña, in a private room overlooking the street. The price is right, and includes free computer use, towels, wi-fi, and breakfast. Showers were very clean, with good water pressure and hot water. The vibe is relaxed and familiar. La Niña is quieter than the sister hostel La Pinta (located two blocks away), which is a good spot to socialize as they have a bar and nice big outdoor area. Many people sleep at La Niña but socialize at la Pinta, as we did.

Breakfast was quite nice - fruit, coffee, cereal, toast and jam. They also have snacks and drinks (beer, too) for sale for very reasonable prices. The kitchen is modern and everything works....they have a hammock available if you ask at the desk, which you can hang in the front and chill out and read.

Staff, as per my interactions, have always been friendly and amazing, in particular Andres and Julia who are really charismatic and knowledgeable about the area, in addition to speaking great English.

I went on a tour led by Andres to Quebrada la Vieja (ask at the front desk), which was g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s hiking and an amazing view of the city, and a bike tour down 7th street to La Candelaria. (the bikes are rented through La Pinta) Definitely recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I had used an ATM machine and my bank card/credit card had been compromised and copied somehow in Bogota,having no cash this put me in a very serious situation.Someone had told me about La Nina so I took a bus with the last of my money.

The minute you walk in you can feel a sense of calm,that there is no hurry you are home now.I have stayed at hostels in the past that were very good also,but La Nina just has a certain charm to it.I ended up staying for a few weeks and can honestly say the staff are very dynamic and easy- going,you get the sense they genuinely enjoy what they do,and enjoy the hostel experience as much as their travelling guests.It feels like the staff there all have a similar positive energy and were hand picked by someone with a very good idea of how to create a great environment for their business.Impeccably clean rooms ,tv area,showers with PLENTY of hot water and water pressure the same as Canada (which seems to be hard to find in Latin America).

I ended up eating most of their lasagna they offer at a cost of about $6.00 for huge portion,which I quickly found to be a favorite meal!There are other options close by for food (2 authentic Colombian restaurants 3 course meal for $4.00) literally steps from the hostel door.
They have an internet area with free internet (not just wireless but an actual computer for guests to use).I found this very handy to sort out my credit card situation!

I just cannot say enough good things about La Nina... literally saving me from being on the street far away from my home in Canada.I recommend this place to any traveller who is looking to make a home for awhile for around $12.00 per night!

Dan Roy
President/CEO
Mr.MiniBox Corporation

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hostel is in a small building but space is well used. I stayed in a single room (small but enough) with shared bath. There is a very casual and friendly vibe around the dining - kitchen area where guests use the wifi, eat and cook. The fridges are new and classy. They sell snacks and drinks, honour system. There!s a proper washing machine with dryer -- 8K COP per wash (more than what the staff told me). A bit hard to find but can get taxi to call the hostel. COP 20K taxi from airport if no traffic jam. You have to wash what you use in the kitchen including breakfast crockery, which is unusual for the latter. There are very tiny matches to light the gas stove, normal for this region although unusual for those from outside South America. Lots of places to eat nearby, supermarket, banks. Short distance from Bus-Rapid-Transit.

Something they could improve. There's a noisy door bell and buzzer when the gate is opened. Gate is in line of sight of receptionist.

The staff

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

After rejecting La Pinta, the sister hostel, La Niña was suggested. I could only get a private single room for 1 night though as it was already booked. This is an old house, which has been renovated. The old wood floor is still there in the room I had which was upstairs but on the street side. It has big windows facing a construction site. The street doesn't get quiet until midnight and picks up again around 6, so if you're a light sleeper, this may not be the best choice of room.
The private bathroom is tiny, but its modern. I couldn't get hot water from the shower though. I asked 1 of the hostel guests and he said there was hot water, but I may have been using the left tap when I should have tried the right. Anyway the water was too cold for me in cold Bogota mornings, so I didn't shower.
The sink is the new bowl above the counter type, so modern.
This is the only hostel that provided 4 towels: -1 hand towel, 1 bath mat, and 2 full size towels. The down comforter was a nice touch along with down pillows. I didn't like the fact that there was no 2nd sheet between me (and other guests) and the comforter. That's not sanitary.
Breakfast was - help yourself and wash up after. Cereal, buns or bread and sliced fruit, juice and coffee. Pretty ordinary.
This is a smaller place than La Pinta, therefore cozier and quieter. No dogs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Lima, Peru
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Booked a private ensuite room. The bathroom had no door, consisted of a 50cm corner sink on a sagging support, ice cold shower and a toilet just covered by a wall.

Appears to be a lack or communication and organisation between day and night shift staff. The girl on shift during the day is rude. Tried to charge us for chips we did not consume and insisted we were lying. Had 2hrs between check-out and the time we needed to leave for our flight, but the girl said there was no luggage storage for us and we had to go to their other hostel "La Pinta" a few blocks away to leave our luggage. Eventually she agreed to watch over them in reception till be came back. Even tried to organise their recommended airport drop-off service but she tried to negotiate a later time we would get picked up. Unfortunately airport drop-offs don't work like that when you have a flight to catch. We ended up catching a taxi.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ibiza, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have travel everywhere ..from Europe to northen africa ,the US, Central and South America and the Caribean ..and this little place , make me feel at home ...
It's own by young guy , that travel o lot ..and they make the place , thinking of you and me .
Old house with everything new ! ...The most amazing breaksfats ever ,and i have been in hundreds of hostels ..
Even if you stay in La Nina hostel,you can still co to La pinta, the other hostel 1 block away ,to eat , hang and party with more people .

You don't pay till you leave ..that's how sure there are , that you are gonna have a goood time and no complains
You wanna eat or have a beer in the other hostel ? no problem , just put your name on it ..and they add it at the end ..strees free !

Goood confi beds u=in a quiet street , goood internet signal , hot water !! brand new new new reestroms and sowers , that they clean everyday ! yes i know ..imposible right ? ,
Always dinner options for a dinner price , home cooking , you can cook in the bigg kitchen o have them call delibery for you .

Great location , just minutes away fro zone G , T , zona rosa etc super safe

But the beast by far ...It's the place the people that work in this place , all young , beautiful in every posible way ...incredibly sweet ...they really go out of there way to make you feel at home... ...
Andrea in La nina , Soni in La pinta and especially Lau Lopez ..who is now my friend for the next 120 years ....it's imposible to find someone like her , sooo sweet and nice ...i wound send my grandma here , with my eyes close
Wanna go back , just to hang in these place.

I Live in , Neederland, Germany , Spain , Uruguay most of my life , so my standarts and espectations are very high

Go here , don't even hink about it for a second !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to La Nina Hostel? Share your experiences!