“Good location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Augusta

Save Saved
You added Hotel Augusta to your Saves list
Hotel Augusta
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Jimenez No 4-77, Bogota 11001, Colombia (Formerly Hotel BD Nueva Granada) (La Candelaria)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
35% off room rate
Ranked #76 of 222 hotels in Bogota
Miami
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Good location around La Candelaria. Rooms are very small but clean. There are no fans or air conditioning so if it is hot out, I would not recommend hotel. Surprised they don't even offer a stand up fan. Windows open slightly. Breakfast is ok, service for breakfast is horrible. Staff don't really care for you. Front desk is not very helpful with directions. No concierge. Think you could do better with another hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I recommend Hotel Augusta. It is located in the historic district of La Candelaria of Bogota, Colombia. It is within walking distance to several restaurants, museums, cultural venues and several government institutions.

For my room, I took a Junior Suite, which was fabulous. Arriving on the night of Colombia's World Cup victory over Ecuador, the city was in a happy buzz and the celebrating could be heard into the late night, but did not prevent me from getting a good night's sleep. Upon waking the next morning, I was treated to a beautiful view of the Andes Mountains that completely erased all thoughts of the American rat race of work. The weather by Colombian standards was considered cool, "frio", but I found it perfect for me 65-70 degrees fahrenheit or 18-21 celsius. We had a few minutes of light rain each day to remind us to appreciate the warm sun to come.

Prior to arrival, I was able to work with the hotel staff to arrange a day tour of Monserrate and the nearby town of Zipaquira to see the Salt Cathedral. This included a driver and tour who were paid separately. I recommend that visitors keep a flexible schedule. Due to the traveling time, we stretched the tours over two days to keep it relaxed and not rushed - there was quite a bit of walking involved. It was nice to learn from a tour guide who took pride in her country and offered special tips of what to see and do on a follow-up trip. Upon request, our licensed tour guide communicated in both English and Spanish. I noticed that the Salt Cathedral is wheelchair accessible, but I would advise that the handicap have someone to assist them in the mine. Both tours were satisfactory. I initially thought I paid too much for transportation, but I asked my driver to make a few additional trips of picking up and returning my guide and a friend back to their respective homes safely to keep the flow of the two full days running smoothly. I also think my guide gave me a discount. I came back home under budget. So it all averaged out evenly.

For restaurants:
The hotel restaurant is good. I generally stayed only for breakfast but was treated to a variety of Colombian fare that was tasty and agreeable for starting the day. The staff makes eggs to order. My last night I sampled the capuccino (a first) and a brownie. I like chocolate. The restaurant staff seemed to take special care in making guests feel at home.

At Monserrate, I tried Casa Santa Clara for a light snack of fruit and an early afternoon cocktail canelazo - heated aguardiente (anise liquor), lime juice and cinnamon, with sugarcane lined around the edge of the glass (quite tasty). I only had one.

I ventured over to the Pink Zone (Zona Rosa), to do some window shopping at a few of the malls. Andres DC lived up to its reputation as a fun filled eatery. A caravan of musicians and dramatists presented a portrayal of Dante's Divine Comedy, playing up and down the stairs. I ordered the traditional ajiaco (chicken soup with potatoes and corn).

I also recommend Casa Vieja, which is about three short blocks away from the hotel. I was anxious about catching my flight so I only had the empanadas, the service was swift and the portions extensive. I was pleasantly surprised with the warm arepas, the only restaurant that I found to make them soft.

I recommend the services of Hotel Augusta.

Room Tip: The eastern side gives a great view of the mountains from the upper floors.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I have traveled to over 50 countries and this was by far my worst hotel experience! Staff made a commitment for the hotel van to pick us up at our rental car return facility, and then dropped the ball and refused to pick us up at night, in a very dangerous city. After we made our way back to the hotel, we were treated to a shower with no warm water, a toilet that ran all night, and a TV in the room that came on by itself all night long. The final icing on the proverbial cake was when the desk clerk at 5AM in the morning had to inspect our room to see if we had stolen anything. I tried personally explaining my dissatisfaction with my experience to the reception desk at the hotel and they handed me a survey and said to voice my opinions through the survey-"that they were too busy to listen to guests complaints in person."
I would encourage everyone to avoid this hotel!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel_Augusta_Bogota, General Manager at Hotel Augusta, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
It's satisfying for us to have customers like you . Therefore, we appreciate the time you spent on leave your comments in our satisfaction survey, be sure we're going to include your disagreements in continuous Hotel Augusta improvement actions.

We hope for your future visit, we can assist you with the care and professionalism that identifies our staff and you could fully enjoy our facilities.

Likewise, we apologize for the inconvenience presented during you stay in our hotel.

Thank you for choosing us as your rest choice in Bogotá.

Have a good Day
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Small and dark rooms without aircondition, dirty carpet, very small bathroom - not able to open the door fully, spa and gym in remodelation so we weren't able to use it, but payed the full price, could hear our room neighbours television and either if he was using the toilet or snorring during night,
in the morning we had to wait for being seated because all tables were occupied, breakfast buffet is ok.

• Stayed July 2013

Thank you for choosing us as your rest choice in Bogotá.

Have a good Day
Grand Cayman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised on arrival at the Hotel Augusta. The staff were very friendly and insisted on helping us with our bags out of the taxi into the reception area.

The hotel decor overall is modern and well maintained. We found our room very comfortable & clean the only downside was that it was a little small but I think that is to be expected.

I would stay here again if I return to Bogota.

• Stayed July 2013
Atlanta GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

For seeing the Gold Museum and other museums within walking distance, the Hotel Augusta was good. The staff was friendly and the breakfast good with eggs to order and a fruit and pasty buffet. Every morning there we several hot items. The beds were hard, the rooms dark and the towels inadequate. Every day (4) we had to request more towels, more toilet tissue, more soap. The shower was uneven and never drained. The bathroom was large, as was the shower, but not very attractive. There was no place to put anything in the bathroom. It was cold while we were there so they sent us a space heater. The beds were covered with plastic sheets. I ripped that off the first night since it was very uncomfortable. I felt like I was in the Sleep Cheap with a sheet like this on the bed. We were advised not to go out at night unles we took a cab. The hotel is in Candalalaria, which is not the safest area at night. The location was fine for us for what we wanted to do. I would not stay in this area on my next visit, but it was great for visiting museums and tourist attractions. I'd give the hotel a solid average.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has plenty of light.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed here as part of a tour group and, as with all hotels where we stayed in Colombia, the room sizes varied from tiny (one way passing with mimimal space for luggage), to nice sized suites--all on the same floor and next to one another. So, be sure to ask for a larger room if you’re not satisfied with the one assigned. (Since I was on a tour I don’t know if the cost of the rooms vary with size, so be sure to ask.) They give free drink coupons for the first night, which is a nice touch. The breakfasts were OK, with eggs cooked to order. The location is good if you want to be in the Candelaria area (old Bogota) near the Gold Museum and the Plaza Mayor.

Room Tip: If you get assigned a small room, ask for a larger one, after checking price differential if any.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Augusta? Share your experiences!