“Excellent experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 224 hotels in Bogota
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was my first trip to Colombia and, as a single female who speaks maybe 100 words of Spanish, I was a bit wary of staying in Bogota without a familiar touchstone -- as a Marriott Gold member I thought I would be most comfortable at the JW. My taxi driver from the airport was unfamiliar with the hotel until I showed him the address, then he said it was the "nuevo" Marriott. The JW is in an upscale part of Bogota, near parks, restaurants and shopping, and is farther from the airport than the Marriott. The rooms are what you would expect at a luxury hotel -- nice comfortable beds, lots of pillows, large marble bathrooms, high-end amenities. The staff are great, the concierge in particular. Both concierge staff members I dealt with spoke English, and they were very helpful in arranging a customized city tour with a driver who spoke English, RT transportation to a shopping/restaurant area, etc. Based on prior experience in Ecuador, I am always wary about just hailing a cab in South America and I felt confident with the safety of the taxis associated with the hotel. The executive lounge had good food for breakfast and evening heavy hors d'oeuvres, including several choices from local cuisine (and great aji sauce). All in all, an excellent experience and I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Miguel_Belloni, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bogota, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear guest,
We are glad you got the chance to come and experienced the warmth of the Colombian people as well as the service we provide to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible. It is nice to know you enjoyed your stay at the JW Marriott and found it just as you expected it, we will pass on your regards to our concierge staff as well as the executive lounge. We will be more than glad to host you again and thank you for choosing the JW Marriott

435 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Conroe, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Bogota has had work stoppages and protests in the downtown area. The JW Marriott is located a good distance from the protest areas. The food is good in the restaurants and fairly priced. The spa is outstanding. Had a 90 minute Swedish Message that was outstanding and reasonably priced. Highly recommend the property.

Room Tip: Have stayed at this property on numerous occasions. All reforms have been really nice.
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with us. Let us assure you that these inconsequential protests are absolutely nothing to worry about and you are more than safe with us. It is nice to know you enjoyed your massage as well as the food we offered. We hope to have you back with us soon and thank you for choosing the JW Marriott Bogota.
Craryville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Visited Bogota for three days on business. Room was spacious and comfortable, modern and clean. Lobby is beautiful. Breakfast was very good. Bar service was very friendly and responsive. No complaints and would definitely recommend to business travelers and tourists alike.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest,
It is rewarding for us to know that you had a nice stay, enjoying your spacious room, friendly service and quality of your breakfast. Thank you for your recommendations and know that is it a big pleasure for us to make you feel right at home. Thank you for choosing the JW Marriott on your business trip to Bogota and we hope to have you back soon.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel is very nice. The decor is tasteful and modern. Rooms are spacious and the beds are super comfortable. The location is perfect if you want to be in downtown Bogota--walking distance to great restaurants and good shopping. Those concerned with safety will find this hotel has very good security. Room service was prompt and delicious. Internet speed was adequate. I really only had two issues with this hotel. First, the service and friendliness of a few hotel staff. I encountered people who were less than helpful. For example, I went to the reception desk to get change for a 20K peso bill (~$10 USD). I like to carry a few smaller bills for tips and taxi's. I made the request a got back two 10K bills. I asked the women (did not get her name, but she is the only person with braces on her teeth) if she could give me a few 1K bills and gave her a 10K bill. She literally rolled her eyes, grabbed the bill and came back with two 5K bills, no 1K's. I just took the bills and walked away. No big deal, but I really could have done without all the attitude for a simple request. The second issue was regarding taxi's and discrepancy in the agreed upon price. The hotel will arrange a taxi for you and will default to the hotel taxi, which is fine but approximately double the price of a regular taxi. You can request that the hotel call you a taxi from a reputable taxi company and they will (as foreigner, you should always call for a taxi vs. flagging one down off the street.). I specifically requested a non-hotel taxi, but was given a hotel taxi. I asked if it would be the same price 25K pesos (which is ~$12 USD) to the airport and was told yes. Got to the airport and the drive wanted $25 USD, double the price. I told the driver to call the hotel since I only had 25K pesos as I was leaving the country. It was all sorted out in the end and I paid the agreed upon price of 25K pesos, but this happened several times during my stay. So my advice, is quickly jot down the price so there is no misunderstanding. Also if you hire a driver by the hour, note the start and end time by the clock in the car (just take a quick picture with your phone camera when you enter the car). Again, the drivers always seem to over inflate the actual time you used their service so unless you have some proof you are stuck paying whatever incorrect time the driver quotes at the end of the trip. On a more positive note, the staff on the executive floor was great. Especially Paola who was at the executive floor reception desk. She was helpful, profession and very nice. Always addressing me by name and asking if there was anything she could do to help. Also, the bellboys were super. Unfortunately I do not have any names, but all of them were great. They always greeted me as I was entered the hotel and addressed me by name, which I thought was amazing. Despite the few service hiccups, I enjoyed my stay. I think this has become my go-to hotel when staying in Bogota. Also, taxi from airport to hotel was $25K pesos (~$12 USD). There is a taxi stand at the airport with fixed prices. You should pay in pesos, so either exchange money (there is a currency exchange booth in the baggage claim area) or use ATM prior to going to the taxi booth.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevator if need quietness to sleep.
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. It is nice to know you enjoyed the establishments as well as the location of the hotel and we’ll be sure to pass your regards on to the staff at the Executive Lounge.
Your comments regarding out front desk agent come as a surprise to us as our associates drive themselves to offer the best service possible, so we will follow up on this matter to clear up any inconsistencies. We apologize for the misunderstanding in transportation pricing and we will make sure this information is passed on with clarity in order to prevent future confusions. Thank you for your feedback as this provides the best insight on how to provide you with a spotless stay.
Memphis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Arriving on business only for an overnight stay and late....not really knowing what to expect. But walking through the doors I was impressed. Modern, sophisticated lobby and rooms-great spacious marble bathroom. Room service delivered Huevos rancheros for breakfast-delicious. I wish I had time to check out the spa.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Miguel_Belloni, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bogota, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear guest,
How nice it is to know that you found a pleasant atmosphere upon arrival. We are glad you enjoyed your room service order and we are sorry you did not have enough time to pass by the spa and take pleasure in the many massages and rituals we have for you. We hope you have a bit more time on your next trip to Bogota and thank you for telling us about your experience with us.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is new and very nice.
Staff is super courteous. Rooms are big. Breakfast is ok. Gym and pool are very nice.
Centrally located. They have their own cabs, so, it feels safer for visitors.
Room service is good. Though once they brought me something different to whay i've had ordered.
Internel connection is very good and can be used everywere in the hotel

Dear guest,
It is nice to know you liked the hotel as well as the service provided. We are glad that our transportation service was convenient making you feel safe and that the Internet connection was suitable during your visit. We apologize for the room service mishap and you comment has reached the departments involved that way such mistakes will not happen again. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again and thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with us.
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I had a very brief business trip to Bogota. I had not been to Bogota for many years and held all my meetings at the Business Center at the JWM. I was very pleased with the service I received from the Business Center personnel. I had difficulty accessing the hotel wifi and the person staffing the business center was able to correct for me. It was irritating though to pay for wifi after paying a premium rate for the room, paying for the use of the boardroom for the entire day, etc. Felt like I was nickled and dimed. But the service and quality of the hotel was excellent. I was upgraded to a huge suite, kind of a waste with a 1 night business stay, but appreciated. Excellent quality sheets on the king size bed. Nice large bathroom and the room was spotless. Had breakfast on the Exec Floor and that was merely average. Food was just OK. Service was also just OK as the place was oversold and it was difficult to find a table in the morning I had breakfast. Had buffet lunch at the Monet Brasserie, which was good, but really enjoyed the food and service at La Mina for dinner. Excellent food and attentive service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Miguel_Belloni, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Bogota, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing the JW Marriott on your business trip to Bogota, it is nice to know you came back after many years noticing the big metropolis Bogota has come to be. Please know that we strive to offer the best possible service in all aspects of the JW experience and it is rewarding to know we achieved that goal during your visit. We are glad you enjoyed your suite and hope you come back with a bit more time to enjoy it for much longer. Thank you for telling us and other travelers about your visit and we look forward to hosting you again.

Been to JW Marriott Hotel Bogota? Share your experiences!