“A wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 229 hotels in Bogota
New York City, New York
“A wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I just spent three nights at Hotel Casa Deco. I had stayed in other hotels in Bogota on my business ttips. But I have to say this is my favorate one. It is tastefully decorated, well maintained, and well located. It is right in the heart of the charming old town (La Candalara) of Bogota, which has been undergoing a revival. It is in the walking distance to some of the most interesting sites such as the main square, the presidential palace, etc.

The hotel staff was very nice and professinal. Guests are served with tea or coffee upon arrival or after a long day of sightseeing or business. The breakfast was excellent, always with fresh fruits to start.

It was such a nice experience that I would return to this hotel any time I go to Bogota again.

Room Tip: 403 is the best suite in the hotel. You have your own tarrace with stunning views. Stayed there one...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

460 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
virginia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Hotel Casa Deco is wonderful and intimate hotel. Each room is unique and tastefully decorated, unlike the cookie cutter rooms found in chain hotels. The staff (especially Ingrid) is genuinely warm, friendly and very service oriented. We were upgraded to a suite free of charge as they wanted our "last day in Colombia to be special". How sweet! The breakfasts were simple but tasty and hearty (fresh coffee, fruits, juices, croissants, omelets, etc.). The best part is live guitar music accompanying the breakfast. The hotel is not perfect; showers can definitely use more pressure and Candelaria area is not for everyone. But overall, we recommend the hotel heartily. Also, the price is just right. If you stay in Casa Deco and have time, you should book Zipaquira trip from the hotel. Our guide Margarita (email: -------- phone:--------) was more like a Colombian friend than a tour guide.

Room Tip: Rooms 203 and 208
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Copenhague, Dinamarca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

From the reception in the first floor till the lovely terrace in the top , this place is worth every penny you will pay. You can be sure you will have a flawless experience!!. Once you arrive you have a warm welcome from the helpful and smily staff at Casa Deco. Honestly, it is like being at home; fresh and quality breakfast, 24 hours free colombian cofee and aromatica (really yummy) quiet, calm and safe enviroment. But not boring!!! they will always be playing classic music, percussion, nice things!!
I think the location is one of the bonus of this hotel, If you are young and want to go out at night and fully experience the nightlife, restaurants of La Candelaria or Bogota this is the place to be. La candelaria offers the opportunity to meet and exchange tips/stories other travelers staying at the nearby hostels and the many locals living and studying in the area. It is true that La candelaria is not the safest place in the wrld BUT in order to provide a better enviroment I learnt that the hotel with the other hostels pay private extra security on the streets of the neighborhood.
The common areas can be really used; I stayed for three nights and I had the chance to use the terrace and the bar to share few drinks and eat my b-day cake with my friends. The owner of the Hotel, Paolo, caring about the need of all the hotel's guests allowed us to stay in from 7 to 11, which was perfect bcause we had a place for a warm up before going out without anoying the others. I definitely enjoyed my time there and hopefully will come back this christmas!! :)

PS: I hope this time they have heaters!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
College Park, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

This is a special hotel--the kind likely to make your stay in Bogota a better visit.

Casa Deco is charming, unique, and well located. I felt welcomed from my arrival to my departure, and every time I returned.

The hotel stands on a corner in the heart of historic La Candelaria--just a block downhill from Plaza Chorro del Quevedo. The building is all art deco--the curves and coral color wouldn’t be out of place in South Beach. Inside, the hotel’s rooms surround a central staircase and light well. Everything here is a hard surface, so noise resonates--bring earplugs. I found the noise from inside the hotel more prominent than anything coming from the streets surrounding Casa Deco.

Once the cabbie found the hotel (why don’t cab drivers ever know where they are going?), the hotel’s welcome was warm and thorough. Immediately, they brought a cup of hot herbal tea (just perfect. . .Bogota is often chilly and drizzly) and showed me to my room.

I’d requested a room with a balcony, and since the “junior suite” (done in orange, thus Naranja) was the only one with a balcony, they upgraded me. A nice room, the term “junior suite” wasn’t accurate. . .there wasn’t even a couch, let alone a sitting area. It was roomy, though, with a curved wall, many windows, and a narrow balcony. All the rooms have hardwood floors. Beds are firm, but the pillows were the hardest I’d ever experienced in a hotel.

Bathrooms have a roomy glassed-in shower, with adequate water pressure. Oddly, there was no glass for water.

Breakfast is included in the room rate (about $103 a night). The meal is served in courses--fruit, croissants, eggs. The dining room is pretty, and usually there is a guitarist. A nice touch (but yes, this carries through the atrium).

Herbal tea and coffee are always available in the lobby--and I enjoyed this often. It was always fresh, hot, and filled. There is also a computer in the lobby. . .wifi is spotty.

The hotel was spotless, though I did see a few mold spores on the shower ceiling.

A great feature of the hotel is the rooftop deck on the hotel’s 4th floor. I enjoyed a cup of tea up there, overlooking the rooftops of La Candelaria.

Numerous restaurants are within walking distance, as are countless museums, government buildings, churches, and other historic sites. (Note--it was tough to find places open on Sunday nights; there was an Italian restaurant in a hotel--Abadia Colonial--a few blocks away that served until 9p)

All in all, I’d stay here again. The hotel was stylish, friendly, and a good value. And finally, I loved the bookmarks the front desk staff came me as I checked out. Nicely done, just like this wonderful little hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms vary by color and indoor or outdoor exposure. Only the Naranja Junior Suite has a balcony, th...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

We were five friends travelling in Colombia and chose Casa Deco for our stay in Bogota. We were absolutely delighted with all the small touches that made this hotel a great place to stay. We were greeted by the owner Juan Paulo - who along with his wife was extremely helpful with all our queries regarding the information we were seeking. In fact all the staff were wonderful. The rooms were spacious and had extra little touches such as fresh flowers in the bathroom and bedroom. Coffee and a special Herbal Tea were available all day and there was a small bar with wine if you wanted a drink. The breakfast room was beautifully set out with a mosaic fire surround, Klimt prints on the walls and fresh flowers on each table. As we rose each morning we were greeted by delightful music wafting up the stairs from below and when we went downstairs for breakfast on our first morning we discovered a young guitarist playing to entertain us over breakfast. Colombian coffee is wonderful and our breakfasts were varied with fresh fruits and different fruit juices from exotic fruits each day. Eggs or pancakes - whatever we chose it was perfectly prepared and presented. One morning I was offered hot chocolate - and it was made of melted chocolate ... mmmm! We were even able to organise some yoghurt (after much fun and laughter trying to explain what it was with our limited Spanish).
We had plans to visit San Agustin and Juan Paulo organised a driver with a car big enough for the 5 of us plus luggage to take us there and back. It was just for 3 days and they were happy to store our major bags as we were returning to Casa Deco and only needed to take an overnight bag. We departed at 6 am and Juan Paulo was there to make sure we got away safely.
We were able to walk to most places we wanted to visit in Bogota and it was reassuring to have a guard outside. We ate at the nearby Italian restaurant - with our second visit we were welcomed almost as family! Another restaurant we ate at a couple of blocks away insisted on sending a staff member to accompany us back to our hotel.
We used the public bus system on a Sunday to visit Zipaquira (about 50 klm outside Bogota) to visit the underground Salt Cathedral.
When it was time to leave the staff organised two cars to take the five of us and our bags to the airport. The cost was just a few pesos more than a taxi. (Just be sure to ask that the car can take you right to the airport building - one of the two cars we had did - the other took us to the car park and then helped take our bags to the terminal building). He indicated he wasn't allowed to drive up to the terminal ... I was unsure why ... other cars were doing drop offs.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

For the person, who comes to visit Colombia just for seeing the Colombian Amazonia such as myself, Bogota may sound just a city or just the airport that you would take your connecting flight to your home country back.

My experience of Bogota had just started such an obligation to wait for my connecting flight to my country, and because of my ignorancy about the city, I had not expected much from Bogota.

However it turned out just a great experence. Hotel Casa Deco and Candeleria area are just right spots to stay and to experience the genuine Bogota culture. The hotel has very friendly and professional staff and very comfortable establishment, I would strongly advice this hotel to anyone,who would like to experience Bogota and its culture.

Kerim Bora

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Wonderful quaint hotel in the heart of old Bogota. Service was great, breakfast super, rooms beautifully decorated and comfortable. It's a little pricey but worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Casa Deco? Share your experiences!