“Great Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 230 Hotels in Bogota
Great Falls, Montana
“Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The staff at the Holiday Inn Express were wonderful. They were so friendly and willing to help with anything we needed. The hotel is in a great location too. Restaurants were close and many good choices and all within walking distances.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HiexService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bogota, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Brenda S,

I cannot thank you enough for your kind words following your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Express Bogotá. I was delighted that you felt the hotel fulfilled your expectations in which refers to service and location.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Holiday Inn Express Bogotá in the near future.

Hotel Holiday Inn Express Bogotá

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Brand new hotel at one of the fanciest areas very close to "Parque 93" full of restaurants and bars. Very relaxing and great coffee.

Still caution with the locals outside trying to pickpocket you, don't trust anyone on the street!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HiexService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bogota, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Jose T,

I am truly glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I would like to thank you for your comments about our excellent location and our coffee.

We look forward to welcoming you back, so you can experience Holiday Inn Express Bogotá again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a few days for business. It is perfectly located in the business district of Bogotá. The rooms were beatifully decorated and very clean, but what impressed me the most was the client care oriented practice of its staff. I felt like home attended by the most caring people all over the hotel.. I definitely recommend this hotel and will stay again for sure!

• Stayed June 2013
HiexService, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Holiday Inn Express Bogota, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Govel,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write following your stay with us at Holiday Inn Express Bogotá. I was very proud to share your great review with our front desk team. Comments like this really make our job worthwhile.

We try our very best as a team to ensure all of our guests experience our commitment to service. We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our client care oriented service.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Colombia.

Ana María Solórzano Ballén
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip and loved the location, it was 5 min. walk to my office and loved the walk in the mornings. Staff was great, very accommodating and polite. They all spoke a fair level of English which was very convenient... I will recommend this hotel for a business trip.

• Stayed June 2013
HiexService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bogota, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Eddy T,

Thank you for taking the time to write following your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Express Bogotá.

I was really pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us, our service and our location.

It is because of comments like yours that we feel constantly motivated to ensure our guest leave with a smile.

We will be more than happy to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Express Bogotá.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We spend a few nights in this hotel while visiting Colombia and we had an excellent experience. The hotel is very well located, nice, clean, modern and comfortable rooms, but what it impress us the most was the helpfulness of the staff which was always very attentive and ready to assist.

There was a bit of noise from a construction site nearby which was a bit annoying, when making the comment to the staff they dealt with it so graciously that we just decided to forget all about it.

I would definitely stay again in this hotel and will recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HiexService, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Holiday Inn Express Bogota, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Christia H,

I cannot thank you enough for your kind words following your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Express Bogotá. I was delighted that you felt the hotel fulfilled your expectations in which refers to location, rooms and service.

Fishtown, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

If you don't feel like reading this reveiw, just stay at the Holiday Inn Express if you want to be in a nice area, at a decent hotel, with free good breakfast (relative to paying for one at a restaurant) and GREAT service.

TIP: Don't confuse this hotel with Holiday Inn Airport.

I've stayed at this hotel on two separate occasions for four nights total within a month's time for a work trip. I wasn't planning on being in Bogota twice.

I had to leave the first trip unexpectedly, as my wonderful, loving grandfather went into hospice. When I made it home two days before he passed away, his first word to me when I arrived was "Bogota?"

My Grandfather even experienced Bogota virtually via Google Talk video chat with my wife. I love ya Jimmy G, thank you for waiting for me to get home!

The first time I stayed, it was my first time in Colombia. I flew in from Philly I was overwhelmed by Bogota as I don't speak spanish and the city is like being in Manhattan at Friday rush hour, people and cars, especially little yellow taxis literally everywhere! I don't know too much about other South American (SA for now on) cities outside Quito, but I've never seen so many taxis in my life. NYC doesn't have anywhere near this amount of taxis.

When I arrived at hotel, I was very tired, Diana checked me and and was so friendly, she really lifted my spirits. She was very nice, courteous and quickly processed the check-in. Being a foreigner, check-ins take longer as they have to enter your passport info.

After checked-in I went to my room, tip if you don't know - you have to use you room key in elevator to make accept your floor number. I've seen this in many hotels, but I had been up for about 12 hours at this point (only 2.5 hours sleep before trip too) and it was only like 3 pm I was getting delirious.

I walked into my room on 3rd floor and it was very nice. Wasn't giant, wasn't small, but for me, just right. My view wasn't the greatest on either visits, but I didn't plan on staying in it much as the area has a lot of restaurants, bars and night clubs.

I stayed at the other Holiday Inn Airport for 4 nights too, which had nicer rooms over all, but this hotel is just better in many ways, especially if like to walk around. The Airport Holiday Inn is really geared towards business. Each time, I've enjoyed my stay immensely due to the friendliness of all the staff, especially the most helpful front desk person I've encountered in a very long time, Diana B.

The rest of this review will be tips for people like me, not spanish, no idea, like adventure, some adrenaline inducing moments and doing the local things and some touristy stuff. Some hotel interactions mixed in too!

TIP: ATM is located to the right in a short hallway as you exit secure area of terminal at airport. You will need local currency for taxi, they don't take CC's. Cost me 5000 Pesos (2.50 USD) to use, though its a better rate than exchanging Us Dollars (USD) for Colombian Pesos (COP) at booth.

TIP: Bogota restaurants and bars play music LOUD at night after dinner time. You may be able to hear it from hotel if you have a room like I did, 309b. Ask for a room in a less direct area if it bothers you.

If my work is paying me to be here, dang it, I seeing and doing as much as I can with their money, side note - I'm not stupid, I paid for extra stuff, work paid for room and meals.

I pretty much dropped my bags, placed a few things into safe and went right back down to front desk to ask Diana what to do and where was a store for a few items.

TIP: If your Caucasian bring suntan lotion, you will burn and its hard to find in Bogota under $15 USD.

The area around the hotel is nice, Parque 93 as it's known. There are many types of food to choose, from independents to chains like Crepes and Waffles to high end joints to McDonalds and TGIFridays. I spent most time at El Taqueria and Bogota Beer Company.

TIP: Hotel taxis, white taxis, are much more expensive than yellow street ones, but you are paying for security and they will wait for you where ever you go for a return trip. By expensive, I mean SA expensive, so a 30 minute ride was like 24000 COP (12 USD). Seems like all my hotel taxi rides were that price.

Everyone on street will look at you, not stare mind you, when you're in a white taxi as they are equated with more well off folks or foreigners. Every time we were stuck in traffic, which is basically all the time, people always looked at me and I never noticed them doing the same in a yellow taxi.

You don't have to tip the drivers! Its not the local custom! If you do this, make sure the service was exceptional, like they gave you insights or helped with bags. I didn't give more that 2000 Pesos (1 USD).

By comparison, the hotel taxi took me to job site one day for 24000 COP (12 USD). The next day I tried a local taxi and it as 8000 COP (4 USD). Was it worth it? To travel like a local, yes, for convenience, nope, nada, no way if you don't speak spanish.

TIP: For a real local experience, ride the Transmilenio. Where yellow was cheaper than the whites, this bus costs 1.75 COP (88 US Cents!) and it has its own dedicated lanes allowing it to bypass traffic jams. It does stop at red lights though.

Figuring out your bus route may be confusing, ask the front desk to look up website and plan your route for your. I tried to do it on my own to no avail and I'm pretty tech savvy if I do say so. I went to the La Candelaria (old town) area via white taxi and eventually walked down to Avenida Caracas at Calle 22 to board bus back.

I took bus B13 Norte. The buses don't stop at every single stop location and many routes stop, so make sure you get right bus! This was much quicker than taxi, but it was very crowed and I had to stand. I kept close watch over my belongings as well, it wasn't shady and I never felt nervous, but I am cautious. I'm a Irish american from Philly, I stood out and probably would be a pickpocket target if anyone was on that bus.

The buses drive fast and stop 2x as fast, so hold on if your standing!

The nearest bus stops are Calle 100, I got off on my return at Calle 85 to walk around the club / restaurant area, although Diana recommended Calle 100. The hotel can give you a map of the stops, it lists which particular stations the buses stop in very small numbers, so be prepared to strain your eyes. I had Diana circle the stops along with hotel location for my convenience.

The bus stations are pretty long, so ask at payment window where to stand. I just said B13, waved my hands while pointing to doors on my side of street and they pointed to area.

Geting on, is not as bad as a NYC subway, more like Philly EL towards end of rush hour, its tight, but not too bad. This was on a Saturday. I imagine week days to be lighter outside of work rush.

I walked a long distance on my first visit without a map, it took me 4 hours from La Candelaria area to Holiday Inn Express, I stopped a few times, but it was a LONG walk. Not for the faint, it was so long, once I reached my hotel about 8 pm, I showered, expected to go out, but zonked out in bed instead about 9 pm while in a foreign country on a Saturday night!

TIP: If you get confused as to which direction your going, look to the mountains. If they are to your front, your going east, to your right, your going north, finally... to you left, your heading south.

TIP: If you do a long walk north / south or vice-versa go along Carrera 7, it's a nice walk with many parks and sights, mostly non touristy but interesting. There is a lot of people and traffic, I felt completely safe.

Diana also directed me to a Sunday outside independent vendor market south end is at Calle 116 BIS (about 1/2 street further if coming from hotel) than Calle 116 and it runs along Carrea 6A, just east of Carrea 7 and ends at Calle 120. It's about four long streets of vendors of all types along with restaurants along route and surrounding streets.

There is a huge, seemingly never ending mall located just south of Calle 116 BIS called Hacienda or something. It's many levels and has a lot of regular shops. You can use it as starting or ending point to market.

Getting to the market was my only disappoint with Holiday Inn Express, Saturday Diana told me it was walkable and a nice walk at that, since Bogota closes many streets to cars on Sundays.

Fast forward to Sunday, a different front desk clerk, still very friendly, told me it was much to far to walk and practically insisted I take a white taxi. I didn't know any better, so I did. The driver took about 15 minutes to make it to destination, I was relived to take it. BUT when I went to leave, I noticed I was on Carrea 7, looked at my phone map and saw the Holiday Inn Express was totally walkable, I had forgotten that streets were closed to cars, so the taxi had to take a round about way.

TIP: US cell phones don't work too well in Bogota, if you wan't to use a map on phone, download one that doesn't require data connection, otherwise it will not work!

Room Tip: The Aire Conditioner didn't really cool down room, so prepare to be warm.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HiexService, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Holiday Inn Express Bogota, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Jaime G,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write following your stay with us at Holiday Inn Express Bogotá. I was very proud to share your great review with our front desk team, especially with Diana, she fondly remembers you. Comments like this really make our job worthwhile.

We try our very best as a team to ensure all of our guests experience our commitment to service. We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the location of our hotel.

We appreciate immensely that you talked so nicely about places like Usaquén, Parque 93 and La Candelaria however, I regret our front desk failed to give you more information on how to get to Usaquen, I can assure you they suggested the taxi with your best interest at heart without thinking that it was also a very nice walk.

Once again thank you for your comments and e look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Colombia.

Ana María Solórzano Ballén
Lyon, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed with my girlfriend for a week in this hotel and it was an incredible experience. Since the beginning, all the staff was very kind and ready to solve any inconvenient we had as the tourists we were. All the information they provided us made us spend a terrific week in Bogota. The room was perfect, with a great view, a comfortable bed and great service.

I would seriously recommend this hotel to anybody who would like to spend some days in this city. It was very neat, in a great location with lots of shops around, nice restaurants and bars, a very friendly and helpful staff (who also speaks English fluently), delicious breakfast, etc. In one word: excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Manu R,

I was really pleased to hear that you and your girlfriend have enjoyed your stay with us, our service, our facilities and our friendly staff.

We will be more than happy to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Express Bogotá.

Hotel Holiday Inn Express Bogotá

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bogota? Share your experiences!