“Colombian Classic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 229 hotels in Bogota
California
“Colombian Classic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Though in Bogota and staying at this hotel for pleasure, I couldn't help but also evaluate it from the eye of a business-traveler. Wi-fi access was consistently reliable, there was a nice desk area with good lighting and extra cabling for ethernet, etc. The radio had an iPod docking station. There were good room-darkening shades on the windows and virtually no noise could be heard from the streets below. Shower and amenities were excellent, with very luxurious towels and bed linens. A hot-pot was present for coffee and tea (provided), and a small fridge was available as needed. As with many Marriotts, you have your choice of pillow type. Room also had an ironing board, iron, hair dryer and bathroom scale. Only downside was the bed. The pillow tops can be very comfortable, but they also require turning of the mattress occasionally to even out the sleep surface. My bed (adjacent to the wall) had a noticeable slant to it, towards the bedstand, where most people would get in and out of bed. Was very uncomfortable as I felt I was rolling down a hill all night! A/C worked and was quiet. Was able to upgrade to a room on the 10th floor, which was on the same floor as the Executive Lounge. The lounge had great staff - Milena, in particular, as commented by another reviewer. Breakfasts were excellent with a wide variety of options. (Would like to have seen some hard-boiled eggs and more plain yogurt but know you can't meet everyone's needs!) Evening appetizers, however, were lackluster (except for the chicken kabobs and fish sticks) and tended to run out before 8:30 pm, so if you need to eat in the evening? Get there early. Lounge also had a PC and a printer and was open until midnight. As for the restaurants, Marriott should consider a total overhaul here. The sushi/tapas restaurant had some of the worst food I've ever had. The sushi ordered was cold and stale and obviously had been made earlier and refrigerated. Once plated, the sushi (and plate) were heavily covered with - of all things - MAYONNAISE! Very few people were present in either restaurant, which speaks for itself. Think Marriott can enhance its profits by improving its restaurant options - with other alternatives nearby (La Patria was excellent!) there's little incentive to spend your money at Marriott. The gym and pool are better than many hotels I've visited internationally. The location is mixed. As a stand-alone it seems remote from the main neighborhoods in Bogota, however it is only three blocks from the Trans-Melenio rapid transit bus system so at least there's easy and inexpensive access to get elsewhere. (Once you figure out the schedules - they are a bit complicated but we found Colombians very eager to provide assistance.) Along with La Patria, there were other restaurants in walking distance of the hotel. Loved the free airport shuttle (runs every half hour in the day and evening, starting at 6 a.m. The front desk will exchange to local currency (up to $USD 100 per day) at a reasonable exchange rate, which is also a great convenience. (Juan Carlos at the front desk and Geraldine in the Concierge office were excellent resources and had outstanding customer service skills.) Here's another great piece of information: I had inadvertently left some clothing items in my room when we checked out. A week later, when we returned back to Bogota, Voila! They had found the items and were able to return them to me. Thank you, Marriott!!!

Room Tip: The higher the better to minimize noise from adjacent roads/freeways.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
juanpie, Manager at Bogota Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for writing a review about our hotel. I'm glad you had a reliable connection to the Internet and you liked our desks. The blackouts in the rooms, the radios, the shower, the bedding, and other amenities are part of what we call "The best rest" which is our main priority and value proposition.
I'll make sure Milena reads your comment. She'll be glad to know her service is making a real impact to our guests.
Once again, thank you for your review. Hope to see you soon back in our hotel.

609 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed at the Bogota Marriott on two different occasions during a recent trip to Colombia. Overall the experience was a very nice one, especially since we got an upgrade with our Gold Elite status.

The hotel is close to the airport and has a number of dining options nearby. We had an excellent meal at La Patria and I would recommend you try the place at least once.The service and food there was excellent. Also down the street is Bogota Beer Company, a nice place to have a pint and watch some futbol. However, we can't say anything good about the restaurants on site. We ate at the Asian sushi-fusion place and had a pretty disappointing meal. Another night we were contemplating eating at the other restaurant (Pimento) and decided to skip it since we had already had a bad meal. So we walked to La Patria around the block and were glad we did!

The complimentary hotel shuttle service is well-run, with pick ups starting at 6 AM and going every half hour throughout the day. Upon arrival we were booked to the top (10th) floor and I must say that the added benefits of the upgrade really made the stay a remarkable one.

Our initial contact was with the hotel concierge, Geraldin. She was an amazing help during our stay. She helped to coordinate our different shuttle pick ups, plan our various days with things to do and see, and gave us all the info to use the public transit system. (Which, by the way, you should stay away from between the hours of 4 and 8 pm, unless you like to feel like a crushed sardine.) Regardless, the TransMilenio stop (Av. Rojas) is a few blocks away and from there you can catch buses to Portal del Norte or wherever you need to go.

The rest of the staff was great as well and very accommodating. Upstairs in the executive lounge we were very pleased with everyone, especially Milena, Laura and Juan Carlos. Breakfast was good each day and they have a sweet espresso machine that makes your coffee however you like it. The gym and pool are both very nice. The business lounge has a couple of computers with internet and printing capabilities.

Besides the on site restaurant, my other complaint was the rather uncomfortable beds in the rooms. They have these super thick pillow-top mattresses that you totally sink into. And if you know the downfall of a pillow-top mattress, it is that eventually you get this "valley" forming in the middle of the bed, so you kind of roll into it during your sleep. I would ditch those mattresses and get some more supportive plush tops. The other thing is that the room temperature has a mind of its own and gets downright freezing during the night, no matter if you set it at 25 or 18 degrees. Now that I think of it, the whole 10th floor ventilation system was always blowing out cold air.

Despite the few complaints I have to give this Marriott a solid four stars. The service is top notch and the hotel is really clean, modern and well-maintained. It is in a safe neighborhood and you can walk around at night without any problems. Bogota is not a very touristy city so it's nice having that anonymity. The people are very friendly. If you speak a little Spanish you won't have any problems communicating or getting around. Also, there is no shortage of beautiful, well-dressed women in Bogota.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
juanpie, Manager at Bogota Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that you had a good time with our staff. They are always caring about our guest´s well-being and experience. On the other hand, I truly appreciate your comment about the restaurant. We will take your comment and we will work on doing even better for your next stay. For your next stay, I recommend you to try our restaurant Pimento for great Italian dishes or even a few samples of our traditional Colombian specials. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you back in Bogota.
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

It was a short Business Stay there at this nice Mariott in Bogota and we did felt good in this Hotel. Although we have been there only 2 Nights, we say, that it was all very friendly and totally clean there. During our Stay, we went two times there for Breakfast, wich was nice decorated and all fresh. Good for Business. Good Coffee there!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that you had a good experience. Marriott Bogota is always ready to offer a great time to all of our visitors with kindness and a helpful team. We hope to see you again soon.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Always travel to Bogota but it was my First time staying at this hotel. Stayed here because of a friends recommendation. Best decision by far. All hotel employees were super courteous attentive responsive and respectful of my needs and desires. Hotels accommodations were A+. Definitely recommend and will stay here again.

Room Tip: By far recommend it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. It is a pleasure for us to have new glad guests in our hotel. We are proud to have a good team that can give you the best amenities and service. We hope to see you back in our hotel with our great service waiting for you.
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

In late August, 2013 my wife and I visited Colombia for my son's wedding. We have travelled a lot and very favorably impressed with the Bogota Marriott. The hotel and staff seemed to be created to make our visit to be totally comfortable.
We stayed on one of the executive club levels. Our king bed room was very well appointed. While they followed the lead of many fine hotels and initially only supplied one robe for us, they immediately provided the second robe on request. On the other hand, shaving and dental kits were supplied without request. The floor to ceiling windows provided stunning views and were equipped with sheers and "blackout" curtains. The shower head was great.
The executive lounge provided drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), full breakfast, and evening heavy hors d'oeuvres. For me, it provided Milena and her gracious help with my wedding toast. I speak minimal Spanish and had brought a 2 1/2 minute toast translated into Spanish. Milena corrected the Spanish to make it more appropriate for Colombia and helped me several times to practice. The success of my toast was in large part to her help.
The hotel health club was well equipped and always available.
In short, I felt that the Bogota Marriott had been created with no money spared concerning guest comfort. It was a wonderful experience. The staff's high level of English language skill also contributed positively to our stay. (Trainees John and Elvis in the main restaurant were also highlights of our stay.)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Robert,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of our hotel. I am so glad that you have had an enjoyable time. Our organization is based on principles and values that you can see in our staff which is always an indispensable requirement of our chain. Milena is lovely and she will appreciate your review. We hope to see you back soon in Bogota
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Very nice hotel in the Marriott chain. This hotel is not to be confused with the JW Marriott hotel, also in Bogota. I have stayed in both hotels and both are quite nice, but with subtle differences.

The Bogota Marriott Hotel offers the courtesies, comforts and convenience one would expect. For the amenities...excellent breakfast offerings, with a wide variety of hot and cold buffet selections. Additionally, there is a nice selection for grabbing a bite or drink in the hotel. If you wish to "venture nearby", there are numerous eateries in the adjacent block. From McDonald's to BW Wings to more "expected" eateries offering local eats. The neighborhood is generally safe for walking and viewing. A short 10 minute walk is a large Mall with three levels and all the shops you could imagine. (Note: Had a nice selection of men's dress shoes at very reasonable prices).

From a business travel perspective, the hotel offers internet capabilities that worked well. The Executive Lounge offers an excellent atmosphere for doing work or relaxing. As throughout the hotel, the staff was helpful and attentive. The hotel has a very nice outdoor area for dining and drinks...take advantage if the weather permits.

The room was comfortable, although the air-conditioning seemed to labor to keep the room cool.

Security at the hotel was evident, although not obtrusive.

(Hint: If waiting to buy some gifts at the airport before you depart...the hotel shop has about the same amount and selection at the same price. Go ahead and buy some coffee or chocolate or key rings there and pack them in luggage.)

I would recommend this hotel and perhaps stay again. The price was ok...competitive perhaps, although the "add ons" (surcharges, taxes, etc.) sure does jack it up.

All in all a good stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review about our hotel. It is a pleasure for us to know we gave you a comfortable and courteous experience. As a matter of fact, it is one of our main priorities to give our guests excellent service and to offer you the amenities that make your stay an unforgettable moment. We hope to see you back in our hotel and in our city when your business and needs bring you back
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed at the Bogota Marriott in August 2013, and very much liked the hotel. The staff is excellent -- especially the concierge -- and the facilities are fresh and new. The hotel is quite close (15 minutes?) to the airport, which is convenient.

Despite its suburban location, there are numerous nearby restaurants and it's a reasonably good area to walk. I would stay here again without hesitation.

I used a Marriott-arranged tour guide for two days of my trip. Jorge A. Garcia (Transporte Turistico y Expresos) was superb: knowledgeable, patient, and an excellent driver. I highly recommend him.

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your review. I appreciate that you took the time to write about our service and product. We'll make sure that Jorge Garcia reads your comment. He'll be glad.
Once again, thank you so much and we hope to see you back at the hotel during your next visit to Bogota.

Been to Bogota Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!