“Great place!” 4 of 5 stars

Calle 9 # 2- 13, Bogota, Colombia   |
Ranked #27 of 142 Specialty Lodging in Bogota
“Great place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stayed here less than a week ago in a private room with my boyfriend. I was a little fearful that we may have had troubles with our booking (as per other reviews) especially because we were checking in at 10pm at night. But alas! When we arrived our booking was there and we were checked into our room just fine. The room was beautiful and spacious and the bed and warm blankets were perfect.

Overall it's a really great hostel, the style and layout of the hostel makes it quite cosy and comfortable inside - which is just what you need after a long day walking the streets of la candeleria. It isn't a huge party hostel but there is definitely a social atmosphere - you can sit in the courtyard and drink whilst listening to your own music. Alegria also took us out one night to play tejhoe (not sure how to spell it) and it was really fun! She even drove us there and back in her car!

The hostel also had good security, and even though you had to ring a bell to get inside each time, it ensured that no unwanted outsiders could enter the place. We even felt comfortable enough to leave our room open during the day.

The staff were also super helpful, and even though they didn't speak spanish they tried to help out whenever possible! Alegria is really nice.

All in all, I Had my favorite stay in Colombia at this hostel, it is highly recommended... but book ahead!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Araraquara, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed for a week on the dorm with 9 other beds and I felt really confortable. The blankets are simply great, really hot showers and all the hostel is cleaned up all the time. Great staff as well!!!

Basel, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My first stay at this hostel was very disappointing, because the private room I had booked and which had been confirmed was not available. In fact I arrived one day later than booked due to a flight delay, but I had immediately informed the hostel both by phone and e-mail and asked them kindly to keep up my reservation.

After an exhausting journey of 34 hours the fact that they didn't have the room booked was a very bad news and the alternative to sleep in a dorm was not very appealing to me. Because I was very tired and because the girl at the reception promised me improvement for my next stay three weeks later I accepted the bed in the dorm instead of looking for a new hostel.

The dorm was very small and bad smelling because of humidity and I didn't feel at my ease.
The next day when I checked out I encountered some difficulties, because the receptionist initially didn't want to take into account the prepayment I had done for the private room, but only did so after some discussion.

So, I was supposed to stay in this hostel three weeks later and I decided to give them a second chance, but it didn't come so far. As soon as I arrived at the hostel I was informed by the night clerk that there was no room for me. I was quite irritated about this statement and just shortly after Alegria, the owner, appeared starting insulting, screaming and attacking me verbally. She accused me of not having paid the bill after my first stay and how I had dared to write a bad review about her hostel. Further she told me she didn't want to see my face in her hostel and she literally threw me out of the hostal. A businesslike and constructive dialogue was not possible with her since she didn't let me speak.

Being myself a tourism professional I was really shocked about such a behaviour towards a guest. Instead of analizing what went wrong the first time and see it as a chance of improvement, she acted like wanting revenge. A behaviour that in my opinion has nothing to do with a professional attitude.

It's really sad, because the hostal had been recommended to me by some friends.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

We felt more than a little duped by some of the reviews of Alegria's in the Candelaria district of Bogota (an amazing city!), which said that this hostel was charming and beautiful, with a hands-on owner who could show you around the area. And it is indeed a beautifully decorated pension style building - almost like an Alpine cottage in appearance - but it's TINY. I mean, really small - you have to squeeze through really narrow doors and clamber up an Alice in Wonderland spiral staircase to reach the upstairs bedrooms. The kitchen / lounge area downstairs is similarly cosy, allowing max six people to cook / dine / chill at one time. This would be fine if it only offered three private rooms or so, but it also contains a huge 10 bunk dorm upstairs and another 4 bunk dorm downstairs, plus double bedrooms. There's literally nowhere to move some nights. The beds in the dorm were incredibly uncomfortable: instead of buying half decent mattresses they piled really cheap ones on top of each other, with the result that they kept moving around, all the bedsheets kept falling off and you were on a constant slope - I nearly slid out of the bunks altogether at one point. The bathroom bin didn't get changed for days - never a nice experience in this part of the world - so we had to ask someone to do it. The showers though were hot and powerful. Finally, in terms of the owner being around to signpost us to cool places to go out, it's not like we needed anyone to hold our hands, but we didn't see her the whole time we we there. There was a board in reception listing some good places to go for an affordable night, but when we were there there wasn't much of a sociable atmosphere and certainly no sign of arranged nights out, so if you're looking for that sort of place you might want to check out Musicology or another party hostel in the area. We checked out after a couple of nights' terrible sleep, and found much better value dorms at Bella Vista down the road.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights at Alegria and really enjoyed the stay. I particularly appreciated the staff taking the time to give me some itineraries and suggestions over a coffee when we arrived, It was very easy to walk to many local restaurants, being only a few blocks from central Bogotà and the 24 hour manned desk meant that you didn't have to worry about taking keys with you which was great and very friendly staff welcoming you back every time. Bogotà was very cold!!!

malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

It is a very cute hostel and very welcoming. Staff are really nice and makes you feel welcome and helps u out in everything you ask for.
Rooms are clean and even the shared bathrooms are very well kept.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Amazingly nice owner, made us feel right at home and was incredibly helpful in getting around Bogota and finding the great spots and hang-outs. Our private rooms were clean and the employees were always friendly with juice, coffee, croissants and fresh fruit every morning! I'll definitely return.

Room Tip: The private upstairs, overlooking the garden is super nice.