“Very good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 166 Specialty Lodging in Bogota
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights at Alegria and really enjoyed the stay. I particularly appreciated the staff taking the time to give me some itineraries and suggestions over a coffee when we arrived, It was very easy to walk to many local restaurants, being only a few blocks from central Bogotà and the 24 hour manned desk meant that you didn't have to worry about taking keys with you which was great and very friendly staff welcoming you back every time. Bogotà was very cold!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

It is a very cute hostel and very welcoming. Staff are really nice and makes you feel welcome and helps u out in everything you ask for.
Rooms are clean and even the shared bathrooms are very well kept.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Amazingly nice owner, made us feel right at home and was incredibly helpful in getting around Bogota and finding the great spots and hang-outs. Our private rooms were clean and the employees were always friendly with juice, coffee, croissants and fresh fruit every morning! I'll definitely return.

Room Tip: The private upstairs, overlooking the garden is super nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

After a year and a half of traveling and staying in hostels I feel knowledgable enough to say this is a superior hostel. Right from the beginning the staff will make you feel like your at home and apart of the family. Set in la candelaria the location is excellent and has some of the best views of the city. The rooms are clean and not over crowded. They also provided activities throughout the week that keep you entertained and it's a great way to socialize with the other people. The hostel not only made me feel like part of the family but provided excellent info on bogota and Colombia and went far out of their way to make sure I had one of the best stays and experiences of my life. I feel lucky to have spent the time I did there and would recommend it to anyone and everyone looking to stay on bogota.

• Stayed November 2012
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I cannot speak more highly of my time or the people here. Looking for a change after staying in a crummy hostel in Candelaria, I walked over to Alegria's hostel and was given a tour by a really sweet woman. There were two hostels to choose from, both beautifully decorated with character and lots of light. I immediately switched over from where I was staying. What was meant to be 5 days in Bogota turned in to 5 weeks. I had the time of my life in this hostel. I met a ton of great new friends and about 7 other people who had all ended up staying waaay longer than anticipated because they loved it there so much.

The staff were super friendly, the rooms were clean and the beds comfy. I've stayed in both of her hostels, in a few of the private rooms and almost all of the dorm rooms at one point or another. The kitchen was big and the staff member immediately gave me a recipe to try cooking with directions for the market. Both hostels have great backyards and a grill. Breakfasts included croissants, jams and delicious home made juices & coffee. Everything else you need is minute walk away - French Bakers, Take out spots, grocery stores, market stands and attractions. You're in the heart of it all.

The first day I stayed there, I met Alegria who (after feeding me dinner) insisted we all go with her and her friends to a concert. This woman is the Colombian experience. Her name means "joy" and that's exactly what she exudes. She's not happy if you're not happy and is the queen of hospitality. There's never a dull moment with her and she really gives everything she can to make sure you have the best experience possible. I have some of the craziest and fun times in my life thanks to Ale. From spontaneous road trips to hiking to hidden water falls to amazing night life to staying in and learning how to cook Colombian meals. She'd take groups out shopping at the market so they could make meals from their home countries and share it with us all, organize amazing trips through and around Bogota and sit with us at dinner and exchange stories. Alegria lives life passionately and brings you along for the ride. She's a woman I'll forever be grateful to have met in my life and the experiences I've had there will continue to grow because I now have to visit her and her hostel as often as possible.

If you're in Bogota - stay at this hostel! If you can - stay in one of the private rooms, they're all absolutely gorgeous (some with fire places). The dorms are also really beautiful and cozy and everything is priced really well. She also has two of the nicest dogs you've ever met. I've now been back there twice and have sent loads of travellers there along my trip - all of whom have loved it also.

Enjoy!! You'll love it!

Room Tip: The upstairs private room is the best! Treat yourself.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a really charming, quirky hostel set across 2 locations in the old town in Bogota. We had some problems however, which seemed to be mainly organisational issues with the staff. Our room was double booked the first night so instead of a private double room, we were put into a dorm. Also, we had arrived after an overnight bus journey, had informed them we would be arriving at 9am but were sent away & told check in wasn't until 12 so had to sit in a cafe for 3 hours. Credit to Alegria though as she gave us a four bed dorm to ourselves & didn't charge us for that night's accomodation. The second night we were in the hostel down the road and the room was beautiful, in an old colonial building with a big fireplace and gorgeous original features. Alegria just seemed quite stressed a lot of the time & if these double bookings/mistakes keep happening she will lose money as she can't keep giving people rooms for free! Friendly staff though, lovely hostels, both with kitchens and regularly cleaned. The area of Bogota is gorgeous & despite initial problems we wish we'd had longer there, it was a great finish to our south america trip!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Guanajuato, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I wish I could say more positive things about this hostel, but my overall experience there was so negative that any good is outweighed by the obstacles that presented themselves there.
This place gets high numbers on Hostelbookers site, so without too much other research, I booked a private room there for 4 nights.
My error: I should have read more here at TA!

I was concerned about arrival at Alegria´s for two main reasons, for which I wrote several times and corresponded by email with someone identified as Alegria herself. One was the recent social upheaval and protests that were afflicting Colombia and Bogota at that time, and the other was that my plane was arriving after 10:30 p.m. after a long trip from Cuenca-Quito-Panama City, and back to Bogota.

I was assured that there was no reason to fear in Bogota and that they were aware of my late arrival and ready to receive me.
So I found the hostel at the address given and arrived there around 11:00 p.m. or so, left by my cab since I had a reservation and every assurance. I started ringing their buzzer to no avail, then I started pounding on the door, since I thought their velador must be asleep. It was cold out and the street deserted in an area of town described as somewhat dicey. After at least 30 minutes, finally a guy came down the street to retrieve me. He must have been called by some neighbor who heard me beating on the front door.
Without any apology, I was told that this hostel was closed for repair and guests were staying in a different hostel at the end of the block.
How hard would it have been for the owner to give me the change in address in one of the several emails we crossed back and forth? How hard to put a good sign on that door with the change clearly described and new address?

So I was taken over and instead of making me comfortable first, I had to pull out my ID, sign in, then I was taken to a room with a saggy bed, no pillowcases on half the pillows, a broken window leading to the courtyard. I had to request a piece of paper or other to be put over the window to keep the cold out.

Bathroom had hot water, but was dirty with other guests´ toiletries spread around and tufts of toilet paper on the floors. Ice-cold floors, moldy shower, no mats. No other baths were pointed out. I took a quick shower and covered the pillow with an emergency case I carry just for such slovenly hostels, and went to sleep, waking up with a neckache from the sorry condition of the mattress.
Room did not have a hook or hanger, did have a few shelves though. Internet not working that night or next day.
Bathrooms were all occupied in the morning by lengthy sojourners therein so had to wait to go to the toilet for quite a while. Breakfast was self serve and not too bad: croissant, jam and butter, cafe con leche, fruit, and strawberry juice.
I took a little walk around and saw the place had possibilities but was way disorganized; back patio scattered with random stuff that should be stored away. Garden unkempt.
They have a decent map, though, of the Candelaria Zone. I went out for the day and after returning, they were moving furniture around, still no internet, bathroom looked the same as the night before.
So I mentioned these flaws to the staff on call. Mild version of denial and outrage ensued. But as I explained all my experience from the night before and my perception of the hostel´s conditions, they relented and allowed me to leave for a better hotel/ hostel that I had seen on my walk back. To their credit, I was only charged my deposit for that one night.

So the good was: breakfast and map, and final arrangement with staff. The bad was all the rest, as described above. There are many other hostels and small hotels on safer streets in the Candelaria for the same price.

Room Tip: Choose a room somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Alegria's Hostel? Share your experiences!