“nice site.” 4 of 5 stars

Visit Tiwanaku like an insider
Private Tour
$73*
and up
Private Tour: Tiwanaku Archeological Site from La...
Ranked #10 of 84 things to do in La Paz
More attraction details
Owner description: This is one of the most mysterious ancient ruins in South America.
Ciudad Juarez, Mexico
22 attraction reviews
“nice site.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Must see for archeology bufs, but the facilities like the museum are awful, still I recommend the tour 100%.

Visited April 2014

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
La Paz, Bolivia
4 attraction reviews
“very interesting indeed ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

very interesting indeed ... it is just 2 hrs from La Paz ... go see it with a guide . I highly recommend this

Sibenik, Croatia
13 attraction reviews
“Mysterious ruins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

You can visit Tiwanaku while going from La Paz to Peru border, or oposite. You wont be sorry, especially if you are into history and mysterious things. We didn't have the guide and I regret for that, but since I watched a lot's of documentary on History channel I could now where I am and what to look and check. If you're on a budget, go to small town (5 minute walking to center) and eat because the prices are cheaper than in the restaurants near the ruins.

Visited May 2013
Central Point, Oregon
24 attraction reviews
“Neat little town, cool ruins”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

You should absolutely bring a tour guide to Tiwanaku. The site is impressive, but without a guide you miss out on the history.

The town is small and rustic. Best done as a day trip from La Paz.

Viana do Castelo, Portugal
“Patrícia, the worst touristic guide in South America”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Tiwanaku was one of the place I was looking forward to visit the most. And still a bad guide was enough to kill it for me.
If you want to go on a one day trip to Tiwanaku, make sure you avoid Patricia as a tour "guide". Or all you will hear is "I don't know", "sorry, it's difficult for me to explain", "I have no information", "move, we have to go", "no time for that" and even things like "get out of there, IMMEDIATELY!".

We booked a 08:00-16:00 tour with Vicuña Travel Agency and we were picked up by Patricia at 09:25! The first thing we were asked was if we want to book lunch: a buffet for 35 BOV. Even though we were told by the agency that lunch costed around 15 BOV, given that we had no other option, we said yes.
We got to the archaeological site at around 11:00. We were supposed to visit 3 museums, the ancient site of Tiwanaku and Puma Punku. The first museum was a total marathon! And every time we had some question, she said we had to wait, listen and ask all the questions in the end. She talked a bit about 4 displays and nothing else. She said in the end she would give us time to see everything and make all the questions. Did she? She gave us 5 min to see everything and she couldn't answer to any of the questions we made!
We run by the second museum without getting in and we spend like 5 minutes on the 3rd.
After the museums we went to the archaeological site and we found several groups with guides giving all kind of information. Ours just went for it without any introduction. No time for pictures, no time for questions, Ridiculous!
We couldn't climb up the pyramid because it was "too slippery". And still everyone else was there. Even a group of kids from a school trip.
All the places we wanted to go, she said "sorry, no access". When we asked her to, at least, explain a bit about it, all we heard was "sorry, very difficult for me to explain".
At 12:00 we were finished! And we were supposed to go to town for lunch. But she said that our group was too small for the buffet deal so she would give us some time to find a restaurant but after visiting Puma Punku. We got in Puma Punku like running a marathon again, then she made a quick explanation about a couple of stones and gave us 10 minutes for pictures. By this time she was lying down on the grass getting some sun tan. We went for pictures and she came running after us shouting: "get out of there immediately or I will get 5 days suspension". We tried to ignore her bad attitude and went on a different direction. After 5 minutes she came again after us shouting that we were on a "extremely forbidden" place to be and ought to get out of there immediately or she will get suspended. At this point I had to tell her that if she was doing her job right, we would be informed about the boundaries but instead she preferred to lye on the grass and leave us alone with no information about anything. I added that she was the worst guide we have ever found in south America and that she would get a bad review, for sure. She shouted back that we had to go to the bus IMMEDIATELY because she had an agreement with the transportation company and we HAD to GO!
It was about 13:00 when we were done. So she gave us "15 minutes, NOT MORE" to buy snacks on this little kiosk by the site. We came back without lunch and without going to the town, as we were supposed to. Before 15:00 we were already back in La Paz.

Besides this bad experience with the guide, this place is definitely worth a visit. However, it is really depressing to see the lack of care for most of what is exposed and for the lack of initiative to improve things. I really felt like they don't care for their history but then again I might have gotten this impression from our guide... In brief, it's definitely worth to check it out but make sure you get a guide who knows their business.