“Professional Hotel Ambiance with Warmth” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Plaza Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. 16 de Julio No. 1789 | Paseo El Prado, La Paz, Bolivia   |
Ranked #44 of 72 hotels in La Paz
Sausalito, CA
“Professional Hotel Ambiance with Warmth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

While on a tour around South America, our group spent a restful night at the Plaza Hotel. We were between 2 really great boutique hotels in Chile and Isla del Sol, but this one stood up in comfort and dramatic beauty to both. First of all, it was great to note that this hotel seemed to be the exact center of town. Although we didn't spend much time in La Paz, the surroundings were very attractive. The room was a nice size, comfortable and had a good view (we were on the 6th floor). There was the liveliness of noise and activity from the city, but it did not impose upon the serenity of the room.

We dined at the penthouse restaurant with the lights of La Paz surrounding us in all directions. As a difficult vegetarian I was well accomodated with one of the best meals on the trip. This quickly dispelled my regret at not having investigated the other restaurants right outside the door. The next morning we had a breakfast buffet (they set it out early for our early departure) that included a variety of things I had not yet tasted.

It was pleasant to be so central, so connected and well cared for. The hotel doesn't have the newest furnishings, but it does have the professional great hotel ambiance that one finds in a nice hotel in NYC. We were not the easiest bunch, as we had some altitude sickness amongst us, and we were a bit ragged by then. But it was the kind of place that lets you dine in their good restaurant with not even a blush dressed in your alpaca sweater adorned with llamas and jeans, although a skirt and nice top would fit in better.

As an ambassador for La Paz, the Plaza does the job nicely and humbly. It carries the sweet warmth of the City well and makes me want to come back to Bolivia. Thank you, Plaza.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a bad one, but the lights of the City are very dramatic, so higher is probably bet...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed there twice - 2 nights at the end of a leg of a tour and then 2 nights again after a visit to Uyuni. The first time, one of the group got stuck in the elevator for 15 minutes and although this can happen, there was no apology from the staff. This same person dined at the Penthouse, used his credit card and was rudely awakened in the middle of the night, being told he had no credit. This hotel is very hung up on credit vouchers and treats people like they're all thieves. The hair dryer blew up in my room and there were many other problems with the accommodations - no room safes, etc. At the very best, I'd say this was a 3 star hotel.
My second visit - at the end of the tour, I was alone. I talked to the front desk about where to shop and get a spa treatment. Walked to the Radission 5 blocks away - made an app't and next day, headed back there. About 3 blocks away, I was accosted by a lady who showed me a room key from the Plaza and well......look it up on Lonely Planet - a typical La Paz scam/robbery. I was taken in a car, threatened and ended up losing my ATM card, Visa and cell phone. Back at the hotel, reception called up Visa Global. This was a very slow process and I wish I'd called my bank directly. By the time my cards were cancelled, the damage was done. (My bank did reverse all charges) Anyway, as I spoke to Visa, another woman from Australia came in with a similar but worse story. She'd simply been outside on the boulevard taking a photo when the same thing happened to her. She, however, lost her camera and was dropped off in the middle of some neighbour away from downtown. We were both very upset and had to go to the police station where we saw two more people with the same story.
Back at the hotel, I told them I needed to switch credit cards for my hotel voucher and called my other credit card company to let them know I was in S.A. The hotel then insisted on charging me $15 for that call. Also, I needed to get $25 US for an exit fee which they said they'd give me for a 25% charge. I was very upset about the charge for the call and insisted on speaking to the manager - I spent 1 1/2 hours in the lobby waiting for this to get resolved. Finally, I had to write a letter of explanation before they'd waive the $15 charge. Unbelievable! I made that call so they'd get paid. I was very unhappy with the service and attitude. Paid my bill and noticed they had 2 vouchers - went to my room and tried to call family in Canada only to be told my account was frozen. I asked what about the second voucher - first they denied there was one and then said they'd torn it up. I was leaving at 5 am and insisted they find that ripped up voucher and give it back to me (they make you sign a copy of your credit card). My sister managed to get through to me but through no help from them. When leaving, the night manager gave me the voucher and we had a quick conversation about the event the day before. I told him I thought that some one from the hotel could have been working with the thieves (it was quite obvious that I'd been targeted, set up) he had to admit it was possible.

I would never stay there again which shouldn't be difficult as I'll never go to La Paz again. This city doesn't appeal to me at all - too busy, too many people and built in a canyon - everywhere you walked was uphill or downhill and at a high altitude. The visit out of the city to Tiwanaku was a hightlight. There's lots of hotels on Trip Advisor with better reviews and if you want to go upscale, the Radisson is the #1 hotel in town

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Located on the Prado next door to the Ministry of Justice (hope the need does not arise) and opposite Alexanders Coffee Shop (worth it for coffee and snacks). A very comfortable room with 2 double beds and excellent hot water etc, as one would expect.
Very good views along the Prado especially from the penthouse restaurant.
Staff very friendly and helpful, breakfast good, storage of small bags while away to Uyuni Salt flats and other Bolivian cities for 10 days was no problem. We booked a room for our return before flying out of Bolivia to Chile.
An excellent and safe location for US$110 per night double. Fast and free Wi Fi.
No safe key as a previous guest had lost it (Humm! No spares?)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Urbana, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Located midcity on El Prado, the hotel is well situated for walking to historic plazas and churches. We stayed for 4 nights with a 2 night interval in Copacabana. Both rooms at Plaza La Paz were large and clean. We had 2 excellent dinners in the 9th floor dining room overlooking the Prado. The food, presentation and service were high quality. At breakfast in the first floor restaurant, special orders for eggs etc. were offered. Free internet service was available in the lobby.

Room Tip: The rooms away from the street and facing the mountains are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Hotel Plaza in La Paz, is known from everybody, with its modern architecture in the very centre of the biggest city of Bolivia.
May be some 30 years ago when the promoters built it, it was deserving 5 stars, as it still pretends to aim. It is certainly not the case, a old style 4 stars would be more exact. The big lobby welcomes you with a nice impression and all the staff is super friendly (we are in Bolivia, which is certainly one of the friendliest countries in the world, remind it!), the room is of a good size with a large desk where you can work, the bathroom is also very well sized, and you have light through large windows. And you have a free wifi working perfectly well. But, when you have a look on the furnitures, in the room, in the cafeteteria , everywhere, you have a little bit the feeling to return 20-30 years ago. But it's a small disadvantage, and it is certainly one of the best hotels where I have been in la Paz along 25 years. And last but not least, and not a detail, the restaurant at the floor 11, is very good and you have a fantastic view on the city.
A lot of reasons to come here. So forget the stars, and keep the advantages. You will appreciate your stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Essen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Stayed there for a couple of days in June of this year.
Room price was 110 $US for a double room with decent furniture and two queen size beds, BUT:
At the end of a very long check-in process, the unfriendly man at the counter asked for our permission to make a voucher of the credit card. Having experienced bad things in the past in Bolivia I denied that, and thought there won't be any problem. When we got to our room, the doorman followed us and locked the room's minibar. Did they suspect us of pinching food out of it? The room was horribly hot, although its reaching nearly zero degrees celsius at night in La Paz. After two hours we called the reception which declined changing the room, we only were supposed to open the window. Next morning, after a VERY hot night in the room (the window was fully opened all the time), I went down to talk to the executive, who finally gave me the keys to another room.
Until check-out everything went just fine. This morning we had to catch an early flight from La Paz to Rurrenabaque.
Unfortunately one of our fellow travelers got diarrhea the night before, so I asked kindly for a banana (breakfast buffet is available from 6. am on, before, there is only continental breakfast), but a fairly unsatisfied employee told me that buffet starts at 6 o' clock and all food given to me before this time will be charged onto our room. This doesn't seem logical to me because we paid for the breakfast and it should be possible to get ONE banana under these circumstances.

Being late for leaving to the airport, we wanted to check out rapidly, but we had to wait until the staff checked our room for any possible damages or theft.

Overall it is not a bad hotel, it is actually quite comfortable and the breakfast buffet is good aswell. In my opinion it is only the wrong people working there + bolivians generally a not very service orientated.

Thanks for reading my review, have a nice stay in La Paz!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Odense, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Unlitke the last time I was there, this time they gave me a room in the 9th floor, which was a big change in mine point of view. It seems that they renovated floor and rooms. Overall the room looked better than a room in the 6th floor, where I was in the last time at the hotel, still had some flaws, (very old and half broken tv, an almost empty minifridge, and a still lousy badroom). But you could overlook at it if you are tired and don't mind crashing anywere, like it was my case.

Unfortunatelly I had a room that looked at the street (El Prado) and for my bad luck the local futboll team won... needless to say I staid awake until at least 4 am.

So if are are totally convice Plaza is the hotel you wanna go. Do yourself a favor and try to avoid rooms facing the street and perhaps you want something on the 9th floor.

I know I won't come back, I had my lesson twice!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 9th are more decent. You can avoid noise by choosing a room opside to the Prado view an...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!