“Beautiful hotel with amazing staff” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Rosario La Paz
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Illampu 704, La Paz 12446, Bolivia   |
Ranked #3 of 72 Hotels in La Paz
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel with amazing staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed at the hotel Rosario on two separate locations and loved it. The rooms are large, clean, warm and beautifully decorated with the Bolivian textiles. There is electric heater in the room as well if you will feel cold. The hotel has a very good restaurant as well. The wi-fi works very well, including in the rooms. The breakfast was great and included fresh coffee, tea, juice, fruits, yogurt, bread, jam, cheese, ham, eggs, pancakes. However what makes this hotel really special is their staff. Everyone were very nice and helpful, answered all our questions about La Paz, booked us taxis and in general made as very welcome at the hotel. If we will come back to La Paz we will definitely stay at hotel Rosario again.

Room Tip: The rooms facing patio are more quite than the ones facing the street.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
fveraloza, Marketing Manager at Hotel Rosario La Paz, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the detailed review! We are happy that you enjoyed both of your stays with us. We always love reading pleasant reviews about our restaurant, hotel, Wi-Fi and of course, our staff. We look forward to seeing you the next time you come to Bolivia. Thank you again for the review.

Grupo Rosario

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
La Paz, Bolivia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

La Paz Bolivia is my home. Although I primarily stay with friends when I visit, if I take visitors with me I choose to stay at the Hotel Rosario. It is not because it is the most elegant or comfortable but because it feels like I am in the La Paz of my childhood. The location is the best for me as it has you within walking distance to historic La Paz (historic buildings, churches, markets, plaza ....). Yes, you can stay in more modern areas of La Paz but you will miss out on experiencing the unique.
Getting around La Paz is a nightmare so the prospects of staying in a more posh hotel and taking a ride to visit places will be very inconvenient. Stay where you want to visit.
Also, if their chef is still with them, his food is excellent.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review. It is wonderful that our hotel provides an authentic experience of La Paz for you. Thank you for staying with us and also bringing friends as well. As you mention, our hotel is the perfect location for sightseeing in La Paz. We value your patronage and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The hotel is reasonable with superficially friendly staff. However there is a frustrating lack of attention to detail, some of the rooms are very pokey, the hotel is noisey and the location is certainly not great. Note, we had to extend our stay due to sickness, we were charged the full rate (as opposed to what was paid for our booked stay.) At this price there are many better places to stay in la Paz? further, activities suggested by the hotel are very expensive, we arranged outside the hotel for half the price.

Room Tip: Avoid room 230 and rooms facing road
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review. We are sorry that you did not love your stay with us. As you mentioned, the rooms vary and some are nicer than others. We are constantly upgrading bathrooms, replacing older televisions, painting, etc. in hopes of making every room as comfortable as possible for our guests. Throughout the year we offer special promotions on our rooms but unfortunately we cannot offer these specials every day. Some of the rooms look out onto the busy street in front of our hotel and these rooms tend to be noisy from 9 am to 9 pm as we are in the heart of La Paz. We are more than happy for guests to switch rooms when possible if noise is an issue. Our tours are priced as they are because our tour guides, drivers and vehicles are some of the best that Bolivia has to offer. We offer the newest and safest vehicles because we value our guests' safety and comfort. We hope that you will stay with us again the next time you come to La Paz so we can provide you with the best experiences at our hotel and also with our tour agency.

Indian Shores, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I recently stayed 3-nights at Hotel Rosario in La Paz, and overall would highly recommend it to the traveler looking for some wonderful comfort, service, and sanity in an otherwise chaotic city. I booked my stay by communicating directly with the hotel by email.

I must start by saying that there was a minor fiasco with my booking, but once I arrived they more than made up for it with superb service and hospitality. Specifically, my flight was to arrive at 01:20 AM (typical for flights to La Paz), and as a result I agreed to pay for a confirmed/ guaranteed early check-in (50% of full room rate). However, the day before my departure from the US, they told me they couldn't offer me an early check-in. I was a bit peeved because I didn't want to check into another hotel for the first night and then switch to Rosario for the balance of my stay. However, I was too busy to make any changes so I thought I'd just show up and see what happens.

From here on it gets better. Upon arrival, the hotel was indeed full, but they had organized a cot and blankets for me so I could sleep in the lobby area, with a clean toilet nearby. They agreed to also give a the first available room ( which they cleaned and prepped for me at 5:30 AM). The service quality and care of Ximena and others at the front desk was superb. They didn't even charge me for the somewhat early check in.

Once I did get my room, I was delighted to find it very clean, comfortable and inviting. The quality of the bedding was excellent, and the decor colorful and local. The room had a moveable heater and TV service with some international news channels and programs. They also had an iPod docking station with speakers so I could both charge and play music. The bathroom was clean, although a bit cramped. There was plenty of hot water and water pressure was great. My room had a stand up shower, but no tub which was okay for me. The room also had a fairly strong wifi signal, which worked in all areas of the hotel

The lobby of the hotel proved to be an interesting meeting area for tourists from various countries swapping information. The hotel provided a free tea-service there and several nice couches in which to lounge about. Importantly in the high altitude of La Paz, hotel Rosario has a functioning elevator / lift. As I learned, many hotels do not. Trust me climbing several flights of stairs with your suitcases at 12,500ft / 3900 m is NOT fun.

The hotel features 2 restaurants. The Tambo Colonial one floor up from the lobby was simply fabulous with well prepared and presented food including Llama steak, a superb and very fresh grilled trout as well as some local specialities. I would highly recommend it. That said, the other restaurant Jihawak was pretty bad and the food was dry and tasteless (except for the wonderful Maracuya cheesecake - yum). An included breakfast buffet is in the Colonial Tambo restaurant each morning. While it initially looks sparse, you can order made to order eggs etc for no extra charge.

The Hotel Rosario is very well located, nearby the San Francisco church and a bit further to the Prado street. There are several restaurants within a couple of blocks including local fusion, Cuban, Thai/Japanese/Indian, several pizza places etc. The hotel is also close to the Museum of Coca - a must visit whether you partake or not.

Finally, the Hotel Rosario features an excellent tour company (based in the lobby), which is actually part of the Grupo Rosario family. They are extremely helpful and have a large variety of tours with superb guides and well maintained vehicles ( not to be under-estimated - my friends at another hotel had 2 breakdowns with their "cheaper" tour agency.

Overall, my stay at Hotel Rosario was excellent. Above all, the service and personal concern the staff takes is above what one might expect at even more expensive hotels. The front desk staff in particular were superb. While Rosario is not among the cheapest options in town, it certainly is an excellent value. I would recommend it highly and stay there again on a future visit.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the detailed review. We are sorry about the confusion with your booking but we are glad we could accommodate your needs regardless. We know that international flights into La Paz are at inconvenient times and we try to accommodate check-in when possible. We are glad that our staff was able to assist you with all of your needs during your stay with us.

As you mentioned, we have the best tour guides and vehicles in the industry to guarantee that our guests have the best experiences with us. Thank you again for the review. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you come to Bolivia!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We loved many things about this hotel.
- The location was great - very close to Plaza San Francisco, and some other sightseeing. We walked a lot.
- The continental breakfast had everything you needed and more, including coca leaves and coca tea.
- The coca tea in the lobby was a nice touch too.
- The rooms are spacious and very comfortable.

But what we will most remember is the kindness of the staff, who dealt with ease with our multiple set of issues (like when we got breakfast at 5 am, then returned from the airport an hour later because we missed our flight - they suggested we get a second breakfast to relax :-))) or when they found a taxi driver who was brave enough to take us back to the airport, that same day, in spite of a strike in El Alto...)

We liked this hotel so much that when we had a second overnight stop in LaPaz, we didn't even think about going anywhere else. We went "home" to Hotel Rosario!

Room Tip: Rooms in the courtyard are very quiet
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are so glad that you enjoyed both of your stays with us. We love reading reviews about our staff going above and beyond for guests. We hope the rest of your trip was less chaotic! We look forward to seeing you again the next time you're in Bolivia.

Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

The Rosario is in a great downtown location, a short walk away from the witches market and Plaza San Fransisco. The rooms are clean, very nicely decorated and comfortable. Service is friendly, the breakfast excellent and free wifi. We ate in the restaurant a couple of times and the food was very good - a good alternative if you don't fancy braving La Paz and some of its taxi drivers! 204 faces the street if you want a room with a view but there is some street noise. Rooms in the back courtyard are quiet.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed here for one night when we arrived in La Paz before moving on to Cusco. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. They arranged an airport pick up for us, then re-arranged it for later in the day at no extra cost when our flight was diverted due to fog. The room was a good size and clean, with all the usual facilities plus the lovely added touch of an iPod base. Breakfast was good quality with lots of choice, and there was a constant supply of coco tea available to help with the altitude acclimatisation. They also arranged a taxi back to the airport for us the next day. We would have loved to have stayed here again on our return to La Paz a week later, but they were full.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lisa H, Marketing Manager at Hotel Rosario La Paz, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the glowing review of our hotel. We are happy to help with all of your travel and transportation needs. We're glad that you enjoyed the hotel amenities during your stay. We hope to see you again soon!

Grupo Rosario

Been to Hotel Rosario La Paz? Share your experiences!