“Worst hotel in my life: My computer got stolen and nobody did anything” 1 of 5 stars
Review of El Rey Palace Hotel

You added El Rey Palace Hotel to your Saves list
El Rey Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. 20 de Octubre 1947, La Paz 10727, Bolivia   |
Ranked #37 of 72 Hotels in La Paz
Bogota, Colombia
“Worst hotel in my life: My computer got stolen and nobody did anything”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I left for the rural areas for the day, so left my computer in my hotel room, thinking this was safer than taking it with me. In the evening it was gone. When I informed the reception, the girl seemed disinterested and suggested I had taken it somewhere else. It was not possible to talk to the manager or get any kind of support, sympathy whatsoever. The next morning same was repeated with the reception quickly moving to accusing me that I had taken the computer out of hotel.
The manager could finally be seen late that day and she threatened me to send her lawyer if I would report what happened on TripAdvisor!!
I then went to the Camino Real, a hotel that deserves its stars and it was only marginally more expensive for a completely different experience.
El Rey Palace has several other drawbacks apart from disappearing computers, such as: 2 mornings out of 4 there were no towels in the room. Water for brushing teeth is part of the minibar.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Geelong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Old world charm with ample room space and big windows. We had a full size double bed each albiet they were a bit hard. Staff can be very gracious and very helpful but some requests are met and some aren't. The breakfast is somewhat miserable and the hot food was stone cold. You could easily skip that without worrying about it being included. Beacuse of this we didn't eat any other meals here so I can't comment on thise. Only a block and a half walk from the boulevard so it's a handy location. There are fridges in the rooms which is a rarity.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Espoo, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

There are, so far, three hotels in the world, which I call "home away from home". They are something special. I have stayed here at least five or six times over the years and never been unhappy or disappointed. The location is great, about two short blocks away from the main street, the rooms I have had have been real suites (booked a "normal room"), staff has been attentive, kind and interested in me and my needs.
Breakfast is great.
It is not a large hotel and it is easy to get to know the people at the front desk and they sure appreciate the fact that you have bothered to travel to their country which is not the first place one usually heads to in South America.
Bolivia is the hidden gem of South America, perfect place for people who like mostly tourist-free sights covering jungle, huge salt flats, colourful locals, interesting history and the Andes. Once you have stayed long enough time at high altitude (at least a week), you can even take a taxi to a near-by mountain and claim to have reached a peak of 5400 m (about 18 000 ft). You only need to walk some 150 metres. Sure it is a slow walk but well worth the effort.

Room Tip: The street outside is a smaller one but the traffic in the city is the usual way in South America, n...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

When we arrived we were shown to a room on the second floor which looked out on to a wall (about 10 feet away!) painted dark green which made the room very dark and unattractive. We went down to Reception and asked if they had another room available. We were immediately shown by Andre to a room on the 6th floor which was much brighter. They were more than happy for us to have this room instead.
The hotel is centrally placed for shops, bars and restaurants, we went to a very good french restaurant nearby called La Comedie - definitely recommend it!
Breakfast was good with a good choice and omelettes cooked to order.
The rooms were a good size but the housekeeping department needs a shake up. We only had one glass in our room and calls to the housekeeping department got us nowhere - once more Andre in Reception came to the rescue. Some friends on the same floor had similar issues. The rooms were clean on arrival but cleaning during our stay was cursory - beds were made, towels changed but that was it.
Beds were comfortable and there was always plenty of hot water for showers.
Free wifi and safes in the rooms. Would happily recommend the El Rey Palace.
Only marked down the service due to the housekeeping, Andre in Reception was brilliant!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher floors
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Puerto Vallarta, México
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

It is a small boutique hotel that needs some restoration. Hot water seemed to take awhile, but it always was there!! Beds were comfortable, wifi worked, okay location, and surprisingly good restaurant upstairs. Staff was great. 20 minute walk to Witch's Market.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was traveling through South America with a group and we stayed for 2 nights in this hotel in La Paz.
I was really lucky and got one of the biggest rooms of the hotel.
+ nice room; good breakfast; they made special bearly breakfast for our group on the departure date
- Sound isolation to the next room was not so good and I could hear everything but only while I was in the bathroom so that was not a big problem; elevators were small and slow so it took an eternity to wait for one

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Our room was large and clean, although the furnishings were a bit tired. We were on the second floor, at the back, and our room - and others around it - was subjected to a frequent noise which we could not pin down: some people thought it might be a goods lift, others that it was air-conditioning plant, but it was quite loud; we did, though, get used to it, and I do not think that it went on all night.

The restaurant is on the fifth floor, so there is a lot of noise if you are on the fourth floor and under the kitchen. My suggestion would be to go for a room as high as you can - e.g., on the seventh floor.

The staff in the hotel were all polite and helpful. The breakfast choice was quite good, and some items varied a little each day. If you ask the waiter, he will have an omelette made freshly for you.

The hotel is in a good location, walking distance from the main shopping areas and with lots of restaurants around.

Room Tip: Get a room as high as you can, and avoid the fourth floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to El Rey Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!