“Barely Adequate” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 73 Hotels in La Paz
Boise, Idaho
“Barely Adequate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

A friend highly recommended El Dorado, so despite its low rating on Trip Advisor, we decided to give it a try. It was barely adequate. We would not stay there again. Following are some pros, cons, and recommendations:

PROS:

The location is perfect. It is close to many attractions, sights, restaurants, etc.

I found the male staff member to be friendly and helpful (think he works at night)

CONS:

The woman at the front desk during the day and evening was downright rude. She had a snitty attitude and would shake her head in disgust if we didn't understand something. When we were checking out, we were trying to pay the change portion of our bill but didn't have enough Bolivianos so we tried to give her the amount in US change and she threw up her hands in disgust and dismissed us.

Unsafe practices. At one point, we entered the hotel and went to the elevator. One looked open and luckily we were paying attention to what we were doing because there was a man working down in the open, empty elevator. No tape, no warning sign, nothing.

The breakfast was barely mediocre. The coffee was terrible, the rolls were stale, and the fruit salad was mushy. To make matters worse, there were three female staff attending to the breakfast buffet and they laughed and giggled incessantly the entire time we were there.

The room was small and behind the hotel, there was construction going on until 9 pm each night.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

Ask for a room that faces the back streets, not the Main boulevard

Don't eat the breakfast buffet. Instead, go up the street less than 1/4 mile and eat at Alexander's coffee cafe. They are like a Starbucks but serve all three meals. The coffee was excellent and I highly recommend the huevos rancheros. Only 18 Bolivianos (less than $3) and they were outstanding. The hash browns which we also ordered were just as good.

Look for another hotel! This one isn't worth the price!

Recommendation for the hotel: invest in customer service training for your staff. Also, don't have such a rude woman at the front desk.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Yeah it's okay. Beds fairly comfortable, bath ridiculously shallow and hot water not realiable. The lifts were noisy and could be heard whilst trying to sleep. Staff not all that helpful, English not widely understood and breakfast not worth eating considering how cheap some good breakfasts out are (look around and get recommendations). But all in all we didn't come to La Paz to enjoy the hotel so if you get a good price this is a great place to base yourself from in order to see an amazing city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
portsmouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

El Dorado is a budget hotel in central La Paz, its very basic but essentially clean and adequate and very handy for the main sites of La Paz and a decent base for exploring further afield. The rooms are basic but reasonably comfortable, staff are friendly and helpful and the breakfast minimalistic but again adequate especially if your suffering from the altitude sickness and lose your appetite. The main plus for me was the hotel keep oxygene cylinders which for me came in handy as i had a pretty bad time adjusting to the altitude affects, the downside to this hotel is it is on a very busy main road with constant loud traffic noise almost 24 hours a day, luckily for me i always take ear plugs on holiday and i ceratinly needed them the four nights i stayed here.

Room Tip: Remember your ear plugs.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

checked in early in the morning after an overnight bus trip. staff were ok at first, but when i passed by the female staff working there, they were all extrem rude. was given a street view room. really wanted to have a quick sleep before heading out on my city tour, but was impossible with all the street noise, then demonstration with fireworks right outside. this hotel is in need of a major renovation. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU LIKE YOUR SLEEP.

• Stayed May 2012
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I booked this hotel (having read the reviews) because it was next door to a friend's homestay. The hotel decor takes retro to a higher level. However, this was not my main problem. I left my stuff at the hotel when I went on a tour. I left at 4am for the airport and had to wake the bell boy to let me out. I left my bags with him, but received no receipt. On my return (4 days later) my phone was gone from the bag (which I did not realise until I had stayed the night). My big bag had been locked, but the other bag had clearly been searched, and the only thing in it was the phone. The staff were totally unapologetic, were unable to offer any solution, and when I suggested that I would not pay for my one night's stay to compensate for the stolen phone, they called the police (fine by me, I had been stolen from!). This was, of course, a waste of time, the police were totally unhelpful.

I wouldn't recommend this place. The breakfast is grim, and you think because you are in a hotel as opposed to a hostel, it may be more secure. A total joke.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We found some of the staff at this hotel very unhelpful. We arrived at 6am after an overnight bus trip from La Paz but our room was booked for 7am. We had to wait in the foyer for an hour before they let us into the room even though it was vacant. The room was small, old, dark and uninviting.
Breakfast was very poor with stale bread and not much else. Not recommended at all.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

The rooms are very old and dated but they are clean. Rooms facing the road can be quite noisy with the traffic so stay on a higher floor if possible.
The reception staff are friendly and very helpful. They even offered to make me a special breakfast when I had to leave at 4am for an early flight!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Eldorado? Share your experiences!