“good night ruined by smoke and rude/poor management” 1 of 5 stars
Review of La Guinguette

La Guinguette
c/ Fernando Guachalla 399, esquina Avenida 20 de Octubre, Sopocachi | Edificio Alianza Francesa, La Paz 002, Bolivia
00.591.725 60 571
Improve this listing
Ranked #89 of 230 Restaurants in La Paz
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Broome, Australia
“good night ruined by smoke and rude/poor management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

rude management and poor problem solving skills does not win good reviews!

my girlfriend and i were enjoying a lovely dinner and wine here when 2 other customers entered during our meal. this restaurant is 1 open space and has 3 signs clearly displaying 'no smoking' symbols. these new customers began to smoke and i inquired to the waitress why this was tolerated, to which she responded that they were important clients and the manager allowed it. we asked the manager why he had 'no smoking' signs displayed to which he replied "no, that is only during the day, at night we allow smoking". i couldn't believe it. then he told us they were important clients and we asked "well what are we then?" when i asked if they had fans (answer = no) and could we open the door for breeze/circulation, he replied "no, it is too cold". we quickly ate our meal while suffocating in smoke, and left.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Antigua, Guatemala
“Wonderful little gem in Sopocachi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I really this cafe. It was comfortable, cosy and I felt as if I had been transported to Europe and I had dinner there twice. The first time I had the smoked trout salad which was tasty and included generous portions of smoked trout. It was perfect with a crisp glass of white wine. The quinoa flan is delicious and interesting. Highly recommend it. Wonderful place!

Visited March 2014
Cusco, Peru
“Just great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I went here for a romantic meal and I must say it was lovely. It was quiet and but not too quiet where you are afraid to talk, it had a great balance with music playing. The service was very professional and friendly, and the food was amazing. I recommend the duck which comes in a red wine sauce. I would definitely return!

Windsor, Ontario, Canada
“Would return for a second visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I loved the good food I ate here.
I had the llama gazpacho a quinoa beer and a bowl of French onion soup. Everything was fresh and perfectly seasoned..

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
La Paz, Bolivia
“Good french bistro-take on Bolivian fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Perhaps surprised to find a table on Valentines Day, friday night, we were allowed to be impressed by the interpretation of Bolivian cuisine at this restaurant. Granted, it is split between a bar/coffee house and a restaurant, and those eating suffer a bit from the music and cigarette smoke, while those on the other side probably would like more attention from the restaurant-focused staff, but if that doesnt get you down, give it a try. Going for something not totally french is probably your best bet, as the Llama steak was exceptional, done in smaller pieces with a french reduction, and a phenomenal red quinoa and mushroom side. What it perhaps lacks in ambiance as a restaurant, it can make up in the quality of its food.

• Visited February 2014