“Bad Hotel, wouldn't recommend” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam

You added Amsterdam to your Saves list
Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle El Foque 759 | Playa de Los Ingleses, Punta del Este, Uruguay   |
Ranked #29 of 66 Hotels in Punta del Este
New York City, New York
“Bad Hotel, wouldn't recommend”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

I stayed with a friend of mine @ the hotel in Early 2009. the rooms were TINY, CLAUSTROPHIBIC, dirty and had mildew and stunk. The hotel was full and we were stuck in the room. The hotel is quite old and run down. I am not a very picky person when it comes to hotels but this honestly was pretty bad.

It makes a Motel 6 in the USA look like a Ritz Carlton. On the other hand the location is great and the staff is friendly.

if you stay here expect a one star hotel / hostel style accomodation and be very open minded. otherwise stay away.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

As part of our honeymoon we decided to stop over in Punta Del Este (i had a work function as well)... however it is the busiest season here and I wasn't able to get a hotel even though i was willing to pay $500/night... turned up at the bus station in Montevideo this morning and they told me that a room cleared up at amsterdam hotel.. having read the reviews on here at tripadvisor.. I knew not to expect much. So we sucked it up and paid $380 for the two nights stay. Arrived this afternoon and to be honest... the room itself is massive, the bed is decent - pretty soft compared to some hotels during our south america tour, other basic amenities exist (tv, fridge, sofa even!) The bathroom is tiiiiiiiiiiiny - about 3 ft by 4 ft... they have managed to cramp it all in. The pool area absolutely stinks so we decided not to jump in and came back to our room. Having walked around the other hotels in this area look the same - try and stay towards La Barra if possible as that's where the better hotels and bars are. However if your stuck, there's worse places to be than here in Amsterdam - the staff are very friendly and will try to help as much as they can. The doors require a lot of banging to close so we're planning for a rough night as the neighbors decide to stroll in. There is a supermarket that has everything you could possibly need just around the corner. and a beach is right across though it doesn't seem swimable. haven't had the breakfast yet, but not expecting much again. looking forward to getting out of here day after and heading to a 5 star hotel in Montevideo paying half the price here!!! imagine that!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
st. louis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! Punta del Este is beautiful, but this experience almost ruined it. We had to switch rooms because of ants and the pool was not swimmable. The only positive is the nice staff at the front desk.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Buenos Aires
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

My boyfriend and I passed by this hotel sometime last year during the summer. It was packed with teenagers. That should have been a bad omen.

This weekend, my boyfriend decided to go to PdelE without hotel reservations, given that it was low season. BUT, it was also a long weekend, thus most other options were closed. OK, no problem, we went to the Amsterdam, and things were calm. A few older couples were milling about the lobby. It was a great location by Playa de los Ingleses, and it cost $50. What could be bad?

Everything. The single beds were tiny, the windows were dirty, the carpet was dirty and worn down (the staff said that it was construction dirt...they didn't bother to vacuum it even after we requested it done.), the toilet seat was loose, the soap was bargain basement, the closet took some muscle to open. Since it was cold, my boyfriend threw one of the heavier blankets on the beds. I found a hairball stuck to the fabric. EEUEUEUEUEEEEWWW! I didn't walk around the place without shoes, and we put down towels in the bathroom so as not to step on the floor.

After my boyfriend took a shower, the shower curtain fell down. With that, we decided to haul-[--] on out of there, but not before trying the subrate breakfast. Very sad and rock-like croissants, a rotten apple in the fruit bowl. Lovely!

I suppose if I were in my teens or backpacking, this place would be luxurious. But I'm close to my 40's now. At the very least, I'd like some cleanliness. They could care less.

We ended up staying at Le Club Hotel (near la Posta del Cangrejo) in La Barra, about a 20 minute drive from PdelE's center. It was beautiful and right on the water! Gorgeous!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cleveland, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2007

The hotel Amsterdam is within walking distance of the port and surrounded by restaurants/shops. There are two grocery stores nearby and laundry pickup/delivery for a very reasonable price. Taxi stand right up the street. The staff was friendly and helpful. If you want polished brass elevator doors and a fresh flowers on the nightstand, this is not the place. It is basic, clean accommodation at a reasonable price, centrally located. I would stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room layout
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2006

I recomend this hotel. Is very well located, excellent human resources.
I have been there on south summer, i.e. january 2006
Is near by the seaside, the port, restaurants. Few blocks from downtown.
Recently renewed with nices sights over the sea.

• Stayed January 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2005

Well what can I say about the Hotel Amsterdam? dont bother going there for a start. Not only is the hotel in serious need of some modernisation and an input of charm, but the fact that I had clothes stolen from my rucksack while I left my bags with reception to go see the Sea-lions was a real nice touch guys, thanks!!

There are far better places to stay in Punta, I recommend that the Hotel Amsterdam is the last resort especially if you want to save yourselves 2 hours talking to the Uruguayian police to get a claims report.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Amsterdam? Share your experiences!